Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement

Old 03-29-2008, 05:40 PM #1
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Default Wal-Mart Sues Disabled Woman

Does this seem wrong to anyone else?

Wal-Mart Sues Disabled Ex-Employee
CNN
Posted: 2008-03-29 09:54:15
Filed Under: Nation News, Law News
JACKSON, Missouri (March 29) - Debbie Shank breaks down in tears every time she's told that her 18-year-old son, Jeremy, was killed in Iraq. The 52-year-old mother of three attended her son's funeral, but she continues to ask how he's doing. When her family reminds her that he's dead, she weeps as if hearing the news for the first time.
CNN
"Who Needs
The Money More?"
1 of 7
Debbie Shank, 52, suffered severe brain damage after a traffic accident in 2000. The Wal-Mart employee received about $470,000 from the retailer's health plan for medical expenses, but the company has sued to get the payout back.

Shank suffered severe brain damage after a traffic accident nearly eight years ago that robbed her of much of her short-term memory and left her in a wheelchair and living in a nursing home.

It was the beginning of a series of battles -- both personal and legal -- that loomed for Shank and her family. One of their biggest was with Wal-Mart's health plan.

Eight years ago, Shank was stocking shelves for the retail giant and signed up for Wal-Mart's health and benefits plan.

Two years after the accident, Shank and her husband, Jim, were awarded about $1 million in a lawsuit against the trucking company involved in the crash. After legal fees were paid, $417,000 was placed in a trust to pay for Debbie Shank's long-term care.

Wal-Mart had paid out about $470,000 for Shank's medical expenses and later sued for the same amount. However, the court ruled it can only recoup what is left in the family's trust.

The Shanks didn't notice in the fine print of Wal-Mart's health plan policy that the company has the right to recoup medical expenses if an employee collects damages in a lawsuit.

The family's attorney, Maurice Graham, said he informed Wal-Mart about the settlement and believed the Shanks would be allowed to keep the money.

"We assumed after three years, they [Wal-Mart] had made a decision to let Debbie Shank use this money for what it was intended to," Graham said.

The Shanks lost their suit to Wal-Mart. Last summer, the couple appealed the ruling -- but also lost it. One week later, their son was killed in Iraq.

"They are quite within their rights. But I just wonder if they need it that bad," Jim Shank said.

In 2007, the retail giant reported net sales in the third quarter of $90 billion.

Legal or not, CNN asked Wal-Mart why the company pursued the money.

Wal-Mart spokesman John Simley, who called Debbie Shank's case "unbelievably sad," replied in a statement: "Wal-Mart's plan is bound by very specific rules. ... We wish it could be more flexible in Mrs. Shank's case since her circumstances are clearly extraordinary, but this is done out of fairness to all associates who contribute to, and benefit from, the plan."

Jim Shank said he believes Wal-Mart should make an exception.

"My idea of a win-win is -- you keep the paperwork that says you won and let us keep the money so I can take care of my wife," he said.

The family's situation is so dire that last year Jim Shank divorced Debbie, so she could receive more money from Medicaid.

Jim Shank, 54, is recovering from prostate cancer, works two jobs and struggles to pay the bills. He's afraid he won't be able to send their youngest son to college and pay for his and Debbie's care.

"Who needs the money more? A disabled lady in a wheelchair with no future, whatsoever, or does Wal-Mart need $90 billion, plus $200,000?" he asked.

The family's attorney agrees.

"The recovery that Debbie Shank made was recovery for future lost earnings, for her pain and suffering," Graham said.

"She'll never be able to work again. Never have a relationship with her husband or children again. The damage she recovered was for much more than just medical expenses."
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 03-29-2008, 05:59 PM #2
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

This is a sad situation. Walmart doesn't need the money, yet it is within their rights to ask for it back. The question I have; is Walmart exclusively asking for the money or is it an insurance company that is wanting the money back and Walmart has to pay it? I know in my years of working, when you take out insurance it is through an independant company, not necessarily the company you work for. Again, here lies the question, is it worth the bad publicity and should Walmart just pay the money and let it go? Either way, the family loses.

Thanks for posting this Kitty. I'll say a prayer for the family. Greed is the seed of evil.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:09 PM #3
Elder Member

15 yr Member
Elder Member

15 yr Member

true sandy what is Also sad is how much the original amount that they received out of a million that is disgraceful, that is just shameful, I sure hope wally world rethinks this move, I for one dont think that amount would make that much of a difference on the stock holders dividends

History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme.............................Mark Twain

weegot5kiz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
MelodyL (03-29-2008), SandyC (03-29-2008), sugarboo (03-29-2008)
Old 03-29-2008, 06:28 PM #4
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Sounds about right —for Wal*Mart—.

For every day I choose to play,
I set aside a day to pay.
—AMN

"Sometimes plastic wrap just won't cling, no matter how much money you put in the meter."

—From the Book of True Wizdom
AfterMyNap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jodylee (03-29-2008), sugarboo (03-29-2008)
Old 03-29-2008, 06:44 PM #5
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I'm sorry for the Shanks. It's a horrible situation.

but that's the way it goes. Stinks to be Wal Mart - they look like bad guys, but you know it would be the same no matter who was in their shoes. This is how insurance works.

Every time I go for tests I am asked - I get a letter from my ins within days - if there is somebody I am in the process of sueing over my injury. If I can get worker's comp or can sue anyone else, my ins wants to be reimbursed.

It is not just Wal Mart.

No insurance company is going to pay for anything that somebidy else is already paying for, and this is the case for the Shanks.
sugarboo (03-29-2008)
Old 03-29-2008, 07:09 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Well

One of his Kids built a Baskeball Stadium right here,in Columbia Mo..They wanted to name it after their Daughter.Well people put there foot down.
And they didn't like it but backed down,the stadium was for MU enough
rich alumni well after all..I just can't imagine how they have the nerve
to do this to a women who lost her son in Iraq,her husband works 2 jobs
as well,helps take care of her,they were working to put there other son
through college but that's out 2,She did what alot of us might do just
didn't read the small print. That's not enough money to take from her.

Ton's of people have been protesting this,it's so sad,her husband looked so
wore out she has short term menory lost and in a will chair,so he lost her and his son,who was protecting our familys..It's legal but it doesn't have to be done,that just wrong..Sue
shiney sue is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (03-30-2008)
Old 03-29-2008, 07:20 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by braingonebad View Post
I'm sorry for the Shanks. It's a horrible situation.

but that's the way it goes. Stinks to be Wal Mart - they look like bad guys, but you know it would be the same no matter who was in their shoes. This is how insurance works.

Every time I go for tests I am asked - I get a letter from my ins within days - if there is somebody I am in the process of sueing over my injury. If I can get worker's comp or can sue anyone else, my ins wants to be reimbursed.

It is not just Wal Mart.

No insurance company is going to pay for anything that somebidy else is already paying for, and this is the case for the Shanks.

Sorry Brain, but I have to respectfully disagree. It doesn't stink to be Walmart and they don't just look like the bad guys, they are the bad guys. Just one more item to add to my list of reasons why I don't like to shop at Walmart.

I received a settlement about 10 years ago for a car accident. My health insurance never asked for their money back for any treatment I had received due to the accident.

The settlement, according to the article, was for her continuing care, to cover her future lost earnings etc. Why couldn't Walmart make a generous donation of, oh say $500,000 to the family (anonymously) for her continuing care? That will never happen of course.

Walmart could easily afford to offer better healthcare coverage for their employees. A plan that doesn't include this type of "small print".

This is a very sorry state of affairs. People will continue to shop at Walmart regardless of how they treat their employees. So many people just don't understand that until the general population takes a stand and stops spending money at places like Walmart nothing will change.

I know how much cheaper it is to shop there, but we all pay some sort of price in the end just to save a few bucks in the short term.

Jodylee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (03-30-2008), sugarboo (03-29-2008)
Old 03-29-2008, 07:35 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Right on Joelle!

Wisdom to the soul is what health is to the body
sugarboo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jodylee (03-29-2008), Kitty (03-30-2008)
Old 03-29-2008, 07:41 PM #9
Elder Member

15 yr Member
Elder Member

15 yr Member

Look whats happening out in the streets
Got a revolution got to revolution
Hey Im dancing down the streets
Aint it amazing all the people I meet
One generation got old
One generation got soul
This generation got no destination to hold
Pick up the cry
Hey now its time for you and me
Come on now were marching to the sea
Who will take it from you
We will and who are we
We are volunteers of america

sorry just thinking out loud

History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme.............................Mark Twain

weegot5kiz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jodylee (03-29-2008), sugarboo (03-29-2008)
Old 03-29-2008, 07:59 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

That's just walmart for ya. My son works for Wal-mart. Boy I wish he didn't, but with jobs scarce. He is making too much money to try to go somewhere else at this point.

Back a few months ago, we had ice and snow. You want to know what Wal-marts inclement weather policy is? You don't show up, you get fired.

I didn't believe my son when he told me that. So I started looking online.
Sure enough. I also found message board after message board telling horror stories of how they treat their "Associates". If they just had employees, then they couldnt treat them that way. As associates, they can treat them like crap and get away with it.

Walmart could care less about this. They have been sued many many times. They may be shown to be in the wrong, but no big deal to walmat. They just donate to some cause. Get their name in the paper and everything is back to normal.

Wonder if Sam Walton would roll over in his grave if he saw where his corporation has ended up.

DAY
DAY1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (03-30-2008), sugarboo (03-29-2008)