Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement

Old 04-01-2008, 05:19 AM #1
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Default Handicapped Parking Fines

Finally . . . . something being done to try and help deter those who insist on parking in handicapped spaces (while not handicapped). Now, let's just hope it passes and is then enforced.

Handicap Parking Fines Could Help Those Who Need It

Last Edited: Monday, 31 Mar 2008, 10:20 PM EDT
Created: Monday, 31 Mar 2008, 10:20 PM EDT

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/myfox/

Reported by Denise Dillon
ATLANTA (FOX 5) -- Georgia drivers who park in a handicap spots could soon be paying fines that directly help those who need it. It's part of a proposal moving through the general assembly.

At one time or another, someone will pull into those blue parking spaces for no other reason than it's close to the door. A fine for parking there illegally can be as high as $500. If the bill is signed into law, some of that money could go to help people with brain and spinal cord injuries.State Senator Ronnie Chance introduced legislation that would take 10 per cent of the fine for parking in handicapped spaces and give it directly to the brain and spinal injury trust fund commission -- a state agency that helps pay bills that Medicaid or private insurance doesn't cover.

"Folks who are obviously handicapped or disabled, have a parking space for them and average citizens should not be taking advantage of it to park close to a building or shopping center, or whatever the case may be," said Senator Ronnie Chance.

In addition to parking in handicapped spots, the bill calls for 10 per cent of all fines from DUI's, boating under the influence, wreckless driving, and riding a motorcycle without a helmet to go to the brain and spinal injury trust fund.

The bill has already passed through the senate and could be voted on by the house as early as Tuesday.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.

Last edited by Kitty; 04-01-2008 at 02:41 PM. Reason: to add URL
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AfterMyNap (04-01-2008), Chemar (04-01-2008), Darlene (04-02-2008), Jappy (04-01-2008), karousel (04-01-2008), sugarboo (04-01-2008)

advertisement
Old 04-01-2008, 05:51 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

That's great news, K! I actually had a sheriff check my license against the numbers on my placard, YAY!! They checked me befoe I even got out of the car. Finally law enforcement is doing something about people who use other folks placards. I thanked that officer a bunch of times. Now if we get the number of spaces increased, I would be thrilled!! There is such a large population of elderly people here. I think all of the proceeds from these fines should go to programs benefiting the disabled population. That would only happen in a logical world though .

Jodylee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (04-01-2008)
Old 04-01-2008, 05:55 AM #3
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Cool! The next time I see someone in the handicap spot and they aren't handicap I will make sure to stop and say thank you to them.

Of course that is after the cop is through with them.
Kitty (04-01-2008)
Old 04-01-2008, 07:21 AM #4
Elder Member

15 yr Member
Elder Member

15 yr Member

good i see so many miss use this stil,l it turns my stomach someone parks there and RUNS in the store i am pretty sure mentally handicap was not what the lawmakers had in mind. halfwits

my mom is pretty sure the ones who run in are docs wives or someone like that with access to the forms

History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme.............................Mark Twain

Last edited by weegot5kiz; 04-01-2008 at 08:02 AM.
weegot5kiz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (04-01-2008)
Old 04-01-2008, 07:54 AM #5
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

i like the idea of taking pictures!!! Most cell phones have cameras, my kids' do, they'll like doing it for me!!
kicker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:29 AM #6
Elder Member

15 yr Member
Elder Member

15 yr Member

a picture is worth a trhousand words, but a video shows them tossing a 50 lb sack of dog food in back 10 sacks of groceries two kids, running to other side as it begins to rain, and the license tag

History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme.............................Mark Twain

Old 04-01-2008, 01:39 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Herekitty, thank you for sharing the news . Excellent!

In my area - well, areas near where I live since it's pretty rural here - I have noticed a shift: Fewer people abusing the parking spaces designated for the disabled . Maybe it's that there has been an increase in awareness or an elevated fear in receiving a citation and fine. Either way, it's a good thing. Cabbies, here, are the worst offenders - from what I've seen.

What I do when someone AB parks in disabled spaces (and there is no tag on the plate or placard): Take down the plate number, note the date and time and, as Frank mentioned doing, whip out the handy dandy cell camera and grab a photo with the plate displaying, and report report report.

Bobbi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:58 PM #8
Elder Member

15 yr Member
Elder Member

15 yr Member

here is an idea to act as a deterrent to park in HC spots illegally.

tow the vehicle. Anyone ever had to reclaimed a towed car,

yeah ok enough said its a royal P.I.T.A.

GRANTED The CASH WOULD NOT GO TOWARDS THE RIGHT PEOPLE BUT i TELL YOU WHAT ONCE YOU DEAL WITH THE TOWING BA%^#^DS YOU WONT DO IT AGAIN sorry about the caps my fingers are numb didnt realized i hit the caps key.

If any of you have had a car towed you know its a breeze to pay a fine, even if cash is tight its a royal pain to find where the car is pay cash only then take claim ticket to the proper yard where car is at hope car isnt broken into hope your radio is still there etc....

that or just shoot them sorry thinking out loud again