Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 04-01-2008, 07:42 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default SI Joint Surgery

Hi, I am new here and have read a bit of peoples experiences with SI joint dysfunction.

I underwent a left SI joint fusion with bilateral pelvic fusion in July of 2006. I have done OK not great but had a minor fall in October and have done terribly since. I uderwent a MRI and a CT scan where my orthopedist said fusion looked solid, screws ok, etc. Nothing else could be done and sent me to a pain guy who also said he had no solutions other than long acting narcotics.

I have been on the longacting narcotics for a few months and haven't felt really great with them. My family doctor sent me for a second opinion to a young, new orthopedist. I gathered all my films, records, etc.

Within a few minutes after looking at my CT scan, he noticed that the screws appeared loose (haloing) and the fusion did not appear intact. He showed me this and spent a good 2 hours going over this with me.

How could the radiologists and my other orhtopod have missed this? The new doc is not in any rush to do any surgery but is going to have a couple of other doctors review my records. He feels I should probably go ahead and have the screws removed and go from there slowly.

HelP?? Anybody else have this happen? Can anyone explain why the different interpretations of my films. I shure could use some advice or know where to go for it as well.
SallyE5756 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-01-2008, 02:21 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

If in California, I know where I'd go (for opinion and prior to SI Joint surgery/revision).

I don't want to know the city where you live, but if you wouldn't mind sharing which state people may have some ideas.

Different people, varying viewing techniques, and sum of films reviewed (and depending when) can affect how films are interpreted.

Bobbi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 07:48 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I live in SC. Dr. Amaral in Atlanta Georgia did my surgery.
This new doctor admits that though he has repaired several SI joints while in residency, he would fell more comfortable getting a few other people to look at my films. He suggests I have the pins removed first since they do appear to be mobile and he is afraid they will break. As far as repair of my SI joint, we would let me heal from the pin removal and then make decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbi View Post
If in California, I know where I'd go (for opinion and prior to SI Joint surgery/revision).

I don't want to know the city where you live, but if you wouldn't mind sharing which state people may have some ideas.

Different people, varying viewing techniques, and sum of films reviewed (and depending when) can affect how films are interpreted.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:12 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Sally,

I don't know if you have ever tried prolotherapy before? Ihave been getting my SI's prolo'd for about a year now and I do see improvement. Would be happy to talk to you about it if you drop me a line.

LCC78

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyE5756 View Post
Hi, I am new here and have read a bit of peoples experiences with SI joint dysfunction.

I underwent a left SI joint fusion with bilateral pelvic fusion in July of 2006. I have done OK not great but had a minor fall in October and have done terribly since. I uderwent a MRI and a CT scan where my orthopedist said fusion looked solid, screws ok, etc. Nothing else could be done and sent me to a pain guy who also said he had no solutions other than long acting narcotics.

I have been on the longacting narcotics for a few months and haven't felt really great with them. My family doctor sent me for a second opinion to a young, new orthopedist. I gathered all my films, records, etc.

Within a few minutes after looking at my CT scan, he noticed that the screws appeared loose (haloing) and the fusion did not appear intact. He showed me this and spent a good 2 hours going over this with me.

How could the radiologists and my other orhtopod have missed this? The new doc is not in any rush to do any surgery but is going to have a couple of other doctors review my records. He feels I should probably go ahead and have the screws removed and go from there slowly.

HelP?? Anybody else have this happen? Can anyone explain why the different interpretations of my films. I shure could use some advice or know where to go for it as well.
lcc78 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:36 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Sally - Your new Doc

Sally,
Your new doc sounds wonderful (spent 2 hours with you!). I would love to know who he is. I flew out from PA to meet with Dr. Amaral and not crazy about him. I am scared to get this surgery done with him beause he did not listen to anything I said and was very late in meeting me for my appointment in spite of the fact that I flew from PA and had to fly back out that same day.
Thanks, your response is much appreciated.
LCC78

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyE5756 View Post
I live in SC. Dr. Amaral in Atlanta Georgia did my surgery.
This new doctor admits that though he has repaired several SI joints while in residency, he would fell more comfortable getting a few other people to look at my films. He suggests I have the pins removed first since they do appear to be mobile and he is afraid they will break. As far as repair of my SI joint, we would let me heal from the pin removal and then make decisions.
lcc78 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:43 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My initial visit with Dr. Amaral was similar to yours. However after a year of injections and not getting better I was absolutely desparate. While I was seeing the physical therapist preoperatively, a very young (I'm 49 not old), in her 20's, woman came in as "testament" as to how well she did. She had been a soccer coach but knew that after this type of surgery she was going to have to seek a different type of work but other than that she looked and felt fabulous.

I had no clue as to how difficult this surgery was. A lot of pain and very diffficult to walk afterwards for quite a while.My first orthopedist here in Charleston, who did my back and neck surgery, warned me not to. An orthopedist here at MUSC (the one who didn't read the CT scan very well) recommended Dr. Amaral and had trained some with Dr. Lippitt. This made feel like maybe I should do this.

It took me a good 6 months to feel somewhat OK(and to walk without a walker) and about a year to walk without the use of a cane. I am game to get these damn pins out and think about re-doing this with my new doctor after at least 6 months. I don't know if I would have had this surgery or not. My husband said though it was slow, he could tell I was starting to get better before this little fall but will tell you I am doing horribly now. Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcc78 View Post
Sally,
Your new doc sounds wonderful (spent 2 hours with you!). I would love to know who he is. I flew out from PA to meet with Dr. Amaral and not crazy about him. I am scared to get this surgery done with him beause he did not listen to anything I said and was very late in meeting me for my appointment in spite of the fact that I flew from PA and had to fly back out that same day.
Thanks, your response is much appreciated.
LCC78
Old 02-06-2013, 12:52 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default si joint

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcc78 View Post
Hi Sally,

I don't know if you have ever tried prolotherapy before? Ihave been getting my SI's prolo'd for about a year now and I do see improvement. Would be happy to talk to you about it if you drop me a line.

LCC78
did you have pain release after surgery before the fall?
splaga is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote