Social Chat This is a place for daily chit-chat and other discussions that are not directly related to a neurological or mental health issue.

advertisement

Old 04-01-2008, 10:59 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Politics some people just refuse to get along in this world

Cherokee freedmen controversy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheroke...en_Controversy

Introduction of Bill H.R. 2824

On June 21, 2007, US Rep. Diane Watson (D-California), one of the 25 Congressional Black Caucus members who signed a letter asking the BIA to investigate the Freedmen situation, introduced H.R. 2824. This bill seeks to sever the Cherokee Nation’s federal recognition, strip the Cherokee Nation of their federal funding (estimated $300 million annually), and stop the Cherokee Nation’s gaming operations if the tribe doesn’t honor the Treaty Of 1866. H.R. 2824 was co-signed by eleven Congress members and was referred to the Committee Of Natural Resources and the Committee Of The Judiciary.

Chief Smith issued a statement saying that the introduction of this bill is “really a misguided attempt to deliberately harm the Cherokee Nation in retaliation for this fundamental principle that is shared by more than 500 other Indian tribes”. The National Congress Of Native Americans (NCAI) have expressed their disapproval of the bill. [4]

tell me what you think about all this

i say these congress people are jerks and let the cherokees decide!!!

advertisement
Old 04-01-2008, 01:04 PM #2
----

15 yr Member
----

15 yr Member
Heart

I agree, Clouds. People don't realize these are "sovereign nations," or the fact that people of other sovereign nations all over the world are watching how we treat our own sovereign nations.

People lose their humanity when money and power are at stake - even God no longer matters to them. People now are pushing to take away more from our native nations in order to cover the cost being spent on war. So many don't understand why American Indians can't just be like the rest of us.

A friend of mine of mixed heritage put it nicely. He said:

Sometimes I wonder which word is more accurate; socialization, assimilation, or just plain old conquest? Or are they really just synonyms; all three words actually meaning the exact same thing?

I know when folks come together, the majority almost always tries to beat the outnumbered into line. And if you don't shape up and fit it, the majority crowd will laugh at you or shame you until you either learn how to fit in; or you quietly sneak away, feeling glad they the crowd didn't do you any bodily harm. That's called socialization. Some call it bullying. Very few groups allow you to be you, once they find out you're helplessly outnumbered.

Families do it, towns do it, tribes do it, and nations do it.
Animals do it, too. And all of these feel what they're doing is
perfectly alright. They feel no shame or remorse.

All over the earth, Cultures and Languages are spit on by those with the power to do so. How does one preserve what is ones rightful inheritance, passed down for tens of thousands or more years? Some have found a way; hide out in the desert, or in some jungle somewhere, or way back out of the way of selfish unthinking majorities; who can't see the value to the world that is forever lost due to their cruel misuse of majority power.

I've been pushed around by powerful majorities all my life; Black majorities, White majorities, and majorities of other races as well. Probably, they don't even realize how cruel and uncaring they are to the powerless ones surrounded by their arrogance. I guess if they knew better, they'd do better. No, you can explain until you're blue in the face, and they'll just laugh at your helplessness. It's almost like teasing a dog. They find it funny as long as the dog is
tied up; and if he or she breaks lose, they feel justified in having it put to sleep; because they say the dog doesn't know how to behave.

They feel they have rights over you, and that you are helpless in the land and at their mercy. Yet there's always a way to be found to maintain some important bit of dignity, some essential thread of cultural wealth that can be somehow passed on; well, at least you hope there is; especially when you see your own young no longer
interested in what you've been striving so hard to remain alive to pass on to them.

Socialization, assimilation, conquest; those are three powerful words. Yet, there has to be an answer. Creator just wouldn't leave folks in a situation with no answer; with no solution.

I may be wrong about all this. Heartbreaking? Yes. Push on? We must. "
KathyM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 01:10 PM #3
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

I added the political icon to the title of the tread for you.
You can use the Trigger Icon or the Political Icon for any threads or posts that fit into those categories.
"Thanks for this!" says:
AfterMyNap (04-01-2008), Bobbi (04-01-2008), KathyM (04-01-2008), suzyqz_2007 (04-01-2008)