Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 04-08-2008, 08:03 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default what does this language mean?

Hi all

I am in so much pain right now that i am sick. I had 2 MRI's Thursday night and one again last night. I almost didn't make it through them especially last nights. I am still recovering from right side TOS surgery and now have same symptoms on left so they did a left Brachial Plexus MRI last night. I thought I was going to DIE! I had to stop them mid way and almost didn't make it that far. I was in so much pain I almost threw up all over myself and I was sweating so bad over my entire body! The tech called for a nurse. They saw that I was soaked and said they could ring me out. The nurse yelled for some cold compresses as I thought I was gonna pass out. They asked me why I was having problems...gee...I'M IN PAIN! I've had MRI's in the past but I never was like this. I never was in this much pain. They were trying to force me still saying if I move they have to start over. I wanted to get this done but ...oh my. I cried the whole way through it.

I also got my c spine MRI report. I have a pretruding disc at C4-C5 and a diffuse annular BULGE and left C5-C6 uncinate hypertrophy. ??????

What does that mean? They were only looking in that area because of my symptoms. I have trouble unrinating, I have thermitte's sign )not sure if that's right) , tingling into my foot also down arm into hands, thumbs are in EXTREME pain, neck hurts so bad, can't turn head to either side, headaches that are so bad they make me sick (can't even open eyes), now having leg pain and when I bent knees yesterday I had instant tingling into right hand.

I'm a mess and I know it. I don't think this looks too good for me. I have a feeling spine surgery is in my near future. My previous MrI in November did not show the same thing ..it has gotten much worse since then and I don't know why? What is happening to me that it changed since Nov? I didn't have a bulging disc.

The pain Dr wants to go over my options..one of them is surgery. I have tried chiro, meds and I'm only getting worse.. I need some suggestions as to how to handle this. I can't sleep due to pain and I'm so tired.

Wishing I could think more positive and be well again!
momzpeachy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-08-2008, 03:29 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My suggestion to you is...go to NYC,....I had surgery in Philadelphia and it was not until I saw Fabien Bitan in NYC that I felt better....If your surgery allows you to see other docs...I would opt for Bitan...he is the best...

8/17/05 - Cervical Fusion - C4-5, 5-6, 6-7 - Anterior and Posterior Fusion with plate in front and rods and screws in the rear - Corpectomy at C-4 and C-5 and microdisectomy at C6-7.

1/4/05 - Lumbar Laminectomy -L3, L4, L5, S1, S2 Obliteration of Tarlov Cyst at S2. Failed surgery!
GJZH is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 09:44 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smirk Had the fusion surgery C4-5,C5-6

I had the disectomy surgery for C 4-5, C 5-6. I had neck pain for years on and off and stayed active. All in a span of 2 days, I woke up with a stiff neck, both arms were numb to my elbows. I had some of the things you have. Anything that is impinging on your spinal cord and weakness is not good. I went thru steriod injections, epidural, then did the surgery. I have a plate that spans 3 vertebrae and feel better than ever! The surgery recovery took time, but it was a week to week recovery. Took about 8 weeks to go back to work, but I remember that I was really tired for about 4 months then I was better than ever. IF you go this route, I can walk you thru everything. I had to do it, insurance is what had me going thru all the other shots...I could barely hold up my head towards the end.
Angela 39 yrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by momzpeachy View Post
Hi all

I am in so much pain right now that i am sick. I had 2 MRI's Thursday night and one again last night. I almost didn't make it through them especially last nights. I am still recovering from right side TOS surgery and now have same symptoms on left so they did a left Brachial Plexus MRI last night. I thought I was going to DIE! I had to stop them mid way and almost didn't make it that far. I was in so much pain I almost threw up all over myself and I was sweating so bad over my entire body! The tech called for a nurse. They saw that I was soaked and said they could ring me out. The nurse yelled for some cold compresses as I thought I was gonna pass out. They asked me why I was having problems...gee...I'M IN PAIN! I've had MRI's in the past but I never was like this. I never was in this much pain. They were trying to force me still saying if I move they have to start over. I wanted to get this done but ...oh my. I cried the whole way through it.

I also got my c spine MRI report. I have a pretruding disc at C4-C5 and a diffuse annular BULGE and left C5-C6 uncinate hypertrophy. ??????

What does that mean? They were only looking in that area because of my symptoms. I have trouble unrinating, I have thermitte's sign )not sure if that's right) , tingling into my foot also down arm into hands, thumbs are in EXTREME pain, neck hurts so bad, can't turn head to either side, headaches that are so bad they make me sick (can't even open eyes), now having leg pain and when I bent knees yesterday I had instant tingling into right hand.

I'm a mess and I know it. I don't think this looks too good for me. I have a feeling spine surgery is in my near future. My previous MrI in November did not show the same thing ..it has gotten much worse since then and I don't know why? What is happening to me that it changed since Nov? I didn't have a bulging disc.

The pain Dr wants to go over my options..one of them is surgery. I have tried chiro, meds and I'm only getting worse.. I need some suggestions as to how to handle this. I can't sleep due to pain and I'm so tired.
Angela1968 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:09 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I don't know whether you may have seen a PM (Pain Management) doc, yet that's what I would suggest - before surgery.

I'm sorry that your MRI was so torture-filled; I'll take a CT scan any day over a MRI or bone scan! Perhaps, if you need future radiographic imaging, your doc(s) may consider sending you for a CT. In my opinion, the process is much swifter and also gives added and clearer dimension and perspective.

This link might come in handy, in relation to understanding terms noted within reports:

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/post1325-4.html

From what you described about how you felt during your MRI, it may be that you experience a vasovagal response; it's the body's reaction to extreme pain. A cardiologist and/or internal medicine docs can evaluate for it. I recognize it by the symptoms; I've been dx'd with it.

Bobbi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote