Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 04-17-2008, 06:56 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default New and need any advice I can get

I am just doing research of my recent MRI and found this site. This is just the beginning of my problem, so I am sure I will spend a lot of time with this community. I was told by my Internal Med doc that the results of my MRI shows degenerative disease at C5-C6 and spinal cord compression in the same area. He is referring me to Neurosurgeon to review to see how bad things really are. Everything that has happened over the last year is now making sense. All the stiff necks, migraines, the "snap, crackle, pop" I hear in my head when I move it! The MRI was done because for the last month it has hurt to walk, hurts going over bumps in my car, cannot lay on my back with my arms at my sides without pain. I even have to brace myself against a wall or my high back chair when I cough or sneeze. Who knows how long it will take for the Neurosurgeon to review my records. Then he must decide if I am worth scheduling right away or months from now for my initial consult with him. In the meantime, my doctor put me on steroids and Arthrotec for 6 days and it did make a big difference. But now that I am off the meds how long until the pain returns? Until I get into the Neurosurgeon is there anything that I SHOULD NOT DO?

Dawn
dawn8168 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-17-2008, 08:37 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Can't advise you, beautiful. But I can give you one, big, warm, hug, handshake and howdy, moose-size official welcome to the site. This place is awesome!

Hopefully this will act as a thread bump and get someone who knows the answer over here.

Always outnumbered...
Never outgunned

*I* am the MonSter that MS fears
MooseasaurusRex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:46 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Dawn,

There is no telling when the pain might come back. But off the top of my head and having had C5/C6 problems before a fusion, just don't lift anything heavy. Watch vaccuming too or anything that requires pushing or pulling. Watch out also for a "head forward" posture at the computer. Women tend to have more of a problem with this than men do. And it might help to get a soft collar in the meantime. Just don't wear it 24/7. I use mine sometimes if I start to feel tightness or spasms...but it is not an all day thing. I wouldn't say to baby your neck because that can really cause some spasms if you are guarding it. Just watch the body mechanics until you can been seen. If I can think of anything else I will let you know. Good luck!
Kathi49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:58 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks for the help Kathi. A little more detailed than what my doc told me and helps more coming from someone that understands. I will need to do some of the things I am not supposed to do as I will still need to clean my house (darn)! My 20lb cat is not going to like not being picked up either...and he is a pip when it comes to cuddling and being held. I will just have to see how things go. Thanks again.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:53 AM #5
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Let us know if any specifics show from the MRI or not.

Do you know what caused your symptoms?
accident, fall, work related??
Old 04-18-2008, 12:18 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Dawn,

I know...housecleaning still has to be done. But you can find ways to make it easier. And hearing about your cat made me smile. I have an older Shih Tzu that is not too heavy. Then last summer we got 2 more Shih Tzu pups. Grant you they didn't weigh more than 5 lbs. at the time but STILL...picking them up all the time didn't help my neck. You just have to be careful in the WAY that you do it. I have since taught my own to jump into my lap if they want something; hugs or whatever or they will "show me" by going to doors, etc. And when I give them their monthly meds or clean their ears, I just sit on the floor and do it that way. Baths can be a pain but hubby picks them up for me.
Old 04-18-2008, 06:14 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I do not know what caused any of this. I have been known to be clumsy my entire life and 20+ years ago I was broadsided in my car. I got the actual report of my MRI today and it does not sound too bad. Mild degenerative disc disease at C5-6. Moderate degenerative disc disease at C6-7 with focal posterior herniation of the intervertebral disc with compression on the spinal cord. I think compression on the spinal cord is what scares me. I am hoping that diet and exercise can reverse the degeneration. Since I have had an MRI should I ask for a myelogram? Can I have a myelogram if I cannot have contrast on any of my other tests (allergic to iodine)? MRI also shows mild sclerotic changes within C5...what does that mean?
Old 04-18-2008, 08:42 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Dawn,

One thing my PM told about MRI "REPORTS" is that the radiologists are not trained to detect the subleties that an NS or Spinal PM can. He is right; there has been at least 3 occasions where the report was wrong. Anyway, meet with the Neurosurgeon and have him go over the films with you. Make sure they are right there in front of you and he is pointing things out to you. I would NOT ask for a Myelogram. Let the NS decide if one is needed. And the contrast they use is NOT the same type of contrast that is used in other tests., i.e., iodine. I am allergic to iodine myself. But when I have had contrast MRIs, again it is not iodine it is another type of contrast. What they may do instead, although I am not sure, is to try injections to determine the pain generator. I have never, ever had to have a myelogram; the MRI's, symptoms and injections were enough to determine what was what. Your NS may even suggest PT...I just don't know. But truly, the main thing right now is to keep that appointment with the NS and make sure he explains what he sees to you. If the spinal cord is compressed as you say, he will explain what may or may not needs to be done. Hang in there and keep the appointment.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:04 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Kat,

I will assume I will not have to make a decision before I leave the NS office. I will have time to research and get opinions. I don't know where you are from, but I am waiting to get into LSU Shreveport...to see Dr. Anil Nanda It will take me an hour to get there, but they say he is the best. His office has requested my records and they can decide if I am worth an immediate visit or a not so important, 2 month from now visit. I will have to take a CD of my MRI with me...so hopefully I will be able to see wha he is talking about.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:32 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Dawn,

I am from Indianapolis, Indiana. The Indiana Spine Group is where my NS is at (Dr. Renkens). Dr. Sasso, the OSS is also there and that's probably who my husband will see for his back. My PM used to be there but now is the Director at another spine center at another hospital. And, yes, I followed him to the ends of the earth LOL! But my PM works in conjunction with them referring patients for surgery if needed. So, basically, I still see both even though they are at the opposite sides of town.

Anyway, just wanted to mention to make sure you take the FILMS too...along with CD. Unless, of course, the NS said the CD was the only thing he needed. I just mention it because my friend took her CD to my NS and he really wanted the films too. She didn't have them on her that day so she had to make an extra appointment. So, just a thought.

Last edited by Kathi49; 04-19-2008 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Added More