The Stumble Inn The place for social chat for our M.S. community. The Stumble Inn

advertisement

Old 04-22-2008, 10:58 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default A vent... so I can move on.

I have been replaying a scene in my mind over and over for the last couple of days. I can't sleep, I feel frantic and worried and I cry... a lot. I know I should just get over it, but for some reason I'm not able to and it is making me crazy. I'm hoping that by venting and getting out my feelings, I will feel better and my world will return to my kind of normal. Feel free to exit here, this could be long, I wouldn't be offended. Here is what happened....

Last Thursday, my husband (of only 6 months) bought a motorcycle. I've had a knot in the pit of my stomach since he first told me he was thinking about it and started searching for one. He has 3 brothers and they all decided this would be a really cool "brother thing" to do. Only 1 of the brother's has ever owned or ridden a motorcycle and he has been the catalyst for this idea. Anyway...

He took Friday off of work to get his permit, registration and all that. He was so excited every time I spoke with him. He was feeling really confident and was having a blast riding all over town. He rode some more on Saturday and on Sunday we decided to go down to his brother's house. I thought we would be taking the main street that runs north to south, the speed limit is only 35, and it would take longer, but I felt it would be safer. He wanted to take the highway. So we decided that I would follow him in the car with our dog. We got on the highway and he was doing really well, he looked like he had been riding forever, except that he never seemed to get up to the speed limit. We pulled off to a gas station to get a bottle of water for the dog and I mentioned the speed. He said the wind was blowing him so hard he didn't want to push it. So we got back on the highway.

As we were taking an exit to get onto a different highway he seemed to slow down and I thought pull over to the side. I thought something must be wrong, he needs to stop. In the next instant, he was on the ground, the bike was on top of him and they both were flying across the road at 40 mph.

I immediately pulled over and jumped out of the car. He was already up and running towards me telling me he was okay. It didn't appear that anything was broken, but as we examined him, we found a lot of injuries. He wasn't wearing gloves and his hands were really beat up, palms skinned off, thumbs cut and bleeding. He was wearing a long sleeve shirt and there was a large hole and the skin has been torn off his arm. Later that night when he got undressed we found that his rib cage was bruised and scratched and bleeding. His hip and thigh were banged up, and his big toe is black, he will lose his toenail. Needless to say, he is still in a lot of pain.

I know it could have been a lot worse, but I can't seem to stop getting the image of him under the bike and sliding across the road out of my mind. Although we have only been married for 6 months, we have been together for almost 9 years. He is my rock, my best friend, my life. I think in that brief moment, I realized that he is not invincible and it scared the hell out of me.

I'm sorry this is so long. I think I just needed to get it out. I honestly don't know what I would do if something happened to him and it scares me to know that I'm that dependent on him and that I love him so much that I'm not sure life would be worth living without him. I know this is just all crazy thinking, he is okay. Or he will be when his injuries heal. I guess I just wish I hadn't seen it.

Thanks for letting me "talk" about this.

Please let me be the person my dog thinks I am.

My dog is not my whole life... she makes my life whole.
Blondi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 04-22-2008, 11:05 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Blondi, I feel for you!!!!! I know in a way you wish you didn't see it but sometimes when you don't see it, your mind could play worse tricks on you and make it seem a whole lot worse than it was. You could imagine it to be something so horrible. Luckily there were no major injuries!

You are very lucky to have him and he you! I think it is good to need someone and be somewhat dependent on someone. THat is not a bad thing!

Count your blessings!

Live, Laugh, Love
Girlie Girl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blondi (04-22-2008)
Old 04-22-2008, 11:13 AM #3
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Kim Your worry is totally understandable. It's one thing to hear about an accident - but a whole different story when you actually witness it happening.

I can only imagine your terror as you watched this event unfold right in front of you. I would be surprised if you weren't having a hard time dealing with this.

It's so difficult to imagine our lives without the one who is the constant supplier of our support and the reason we look forward to each day.

I'm so happy that he came out of this in one piece - although a beat-up piece!!

The way I look at it - maybe this incident will help him to be even that much more careful on his bike. Don't be surprised if he wants to get right back on once he's feeling better....
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blondi (04-22-2008)
Old 04-22-2008, 11:17 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

You're right... I have a very vivid imagination, and I'm sure what I would have imagined probably would have been much worse. I didn't think of it in that way.

And I know how lucky I am, if anything I guess this reminded me. Thank you for also reminding me to count my blessings... I had forgotten to do that.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:20 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herekitty1960 View Post
The way I look at it - maybe this incident will help him to be even that much more careful on his bike. Don't be surprised if he wants to get right back on once he's feeling better....
Blondi this is true. He just might, be prepared.

Live, Laugh, Love
Girlie Girl is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blondi (04-22-2008)
Old 04-22-2008, 11:26 AM #6
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Ouch. He is a phenomenally lucky guy, Kim and as a former rider, I can tell you that he just cheated death or at least major, life-changing injuries. I never dumped or spilled, but saw an accident involving my friend.

I quit the bike and never looked back.

Do me a favor and print your original post in full, and give it to your husband.

For every day I choose to play,
I set aside a day to pay.
—AMN

"Sometimes plastic wrap just won't cling, no matter how much money you put in the meter."

—From the Book of True Wizdom
AfterMyNap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blondi (04-22-2008)
Old 04-22-2008, 11:28 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herekitty1960 View Post
Kim Your worry is totally understandable. It's one thing to hear about an accident - but a whole different story when you actually witness it happening.

I can only imagine your terror as you watched this event unfold right in front of you. I would be surprised if you weren't having a hard time dealing with this.

It's so difficult to imagine our lives without the one who is the constant supplier of our support and the reason we look forward to each day.

I'm so happy that he came out of this in one piece - although a beat-up piece!!

He his planning on taking a 2 day class on motorcyle riding/safety. He said he isn't scared to get back on, but he will take it more slowly and become a more confident experienced rider before he gets back on the highway. So I guess something good did come out of it.

He asked me if this was going to scare me from riding with him.... ummm YES!! It may take me a couple of years before I can get on the bike with him, and when I do, I will be wearing leather gloves, jacket, chaps, steel-toed boots and helmut. No road rash for me. But don't hold me to this... I may never get on it. Thankfully he was wearing a helmut!

Old 04-22-2008, 11:31 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Cindy, that is a great idea, I will do that. He knows that this really freaked me out, but maybe he needs to read that.

"Thanks for this!" says:
AfterMyNap (04-22-2008)
Old 04-22-2008, 11:42 AM #9
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Hey, Kim, one other thing, if the helmet is even scratched, tell him to have it inspected by a pro and plan on replacing it!

For every day I choose to play,
I set aside a day to pay.
—AMN

"Sometimes plastic wrap just won't cling, no matter how much money you put in the meter."

—From the Book of True Wizdom
AfterMyNap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blondi (04-22-2008)
Old 04-22-2008, 11:55 AM #10
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Oh, Blondi, what an awful experience.. I am so glad to hear that DH is OK and You too. I think I probably would have wrecked the car..

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

~If The World Didn't Suck, We Would All Fall Off~
SallyC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blondi (04-22-2008)