The Stumble Inn The place for social chat for our M.S. community. The Stumble Inn

advertisement

Old 05-02-2008, 07:13 PM #1
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Mad Smoking - I know, very controversial

Sorry for the long post, but I need to vent . . .

I know that a lot of people don’t like to share space with a smoker, just as I am sensitive to perfume, cologne, and other strong smelling scents. But that’s life . . . and we generally just put up with each other, don’t we?

Smoking has become socially unacceptable though, and the radicals are pursuing a smoking ban, even in OPEN air space. Over the years, in my province they have implemented new laws that ban smoking from most private enterprise establishments, like bars, pubs, and restaurants. These establishments set up areas where people who don’t want to smoke, don’t have to go, and vice-versa. Everyone is happy, right? Nope, apparently not.

Now there are new laws that are more stringent, and include OPEN air. Effective last month, people are not allowed to smoke for up to 30 ft from any doorway to a structure or building, which means smoking is basically banned from any downtown area. They are currently implementing more laws where people can no longer smoke on beaches, parks, on school grounds (even if in their own car), if a person has a child in the car, in rest home smoking areas, in prisons . . . basically no where. Most of these laws come into effect this summer, or by the first of the new year.

I don’t believe in the stated second hand smoke health risks, and even the World Health Organization's data proved there was nothing to that hype. In fact, they discovered that 22% LESS people, who were raised in a smoking home vs. a non-smoking home, ended up with lung cancer.

While smoking has dropped more then 50% in the last 20 – 30 yrs in the US, and certainly many more people refrained from smoking in enclosed areas over that time, asthma rates have doubled.

Fifty-nine percent of Japanese men smoked in the mid-1990’s (imagine all the second hand smoke there ). Japan had 3 times LESS the lung cancer rate as Americans, and had a longer average life span by about 3 yrs.

Here, we pay $6.50 per pack, JUST in taxes. With 25% of the population still smoking about a pack a day, the total revenue the government collects pays for the ENTIRE health care costs of all Canadians. Who’s going to pay that once that revenue is cut off because people can’t smoke . . . ?

None of that matters to the non-smoking activists though, and they are he!! bent on making our country a “smoke-free” place to live cause IT STINKS.

I have tried to quit smoking, and am respectful not to stand close to non-smokers, even though many of them reek of booze (even in the parks or at the beach, where it has always been illegal to drink), perfume, body odor, etc.. I am an awesome parent; I don’t drink, don’t abuse or neglect my kids, I feed them well, make sure they are involved in sports and healthy activities, guide them regularly on the evils of “taking that first puff” of a cigarette, smoking pot, etc. Smoking is my only vice.

Why don’t people see that if the government is stepping into our personal lives/parenting decisions, and if people are pitted against each other this way, it is a very slippery slope? What group is next; the obese will pay more taxes or be denied health insurance?; children will be taken away because parents start smoking in their homes again (because they are forced to stay indoors)?

Well . . . if these new laws pass, and they probably will, I have no choice but to find a way to quit. I know I won’t be turning a blind eye to people who play with their dogs off their leash in the park any more, or whose dogs are barking and ruin my opportunity for quiet enjoyment. I also won’t ignore the people who bring booze in their coffee cups, or who litter by spitting sunflower seeds in the baseball stands any more . . . what kind of example are they setting for our kids?

I'm angry and frustrated.

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
AZjanie (05-02-2008), Becky21 (05-03-2008), dorrie (05-02-2008), MooseasaurusRex (05-02-2008), MSCherokee (05-04-2008), Pickles (05-04-2008), SallyC (05-02-2008), SandyC (05-02-2008), sugarboo (05-03-2008)

advertisement
Old 05-02-2008, 07:30 PM #2
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

If it's any consolation, Cherie, in CA, one has only to use a sidewalk near a bar to see the wonderful results of this pig-headed legislation. Add to that, it's now official, the leading health concern in the U.S. is morbid obesity. If they want to legislate health behaviors, they should start by taxing fat.

For every day I choose to play,
I set aside a day to pay.
—AMN

"Sometimes plastic wrap just won't cling, no matter how much money you put in the meter."

—From the Book of True Wizdom
AfterMyNap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AZjanie (05-02-2008), Blues Girl (05-03-2008), lady_express_44 (05-02-2008), MSCherokee (05-04-2008), SallyC (05-02-2008), SandyC (05-02-2008), sugarboo (05-03-2008)
Old 05-02-2008, 07:47 PM #3
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

I'm a smoker too, Cherie, so I understand, only too well.. It 's like prohibition all over again. Booze kills too and it's still going strong.

I was raised in a smoke filled house and so were most of my friends and we're all still here to tell about it. There are carcinigins in the air we breath, due to many emmissions from factories, cats, etc... Do we close all the factories, do we junk all the cars.

This whole smoking ban thing has been carried too far, I think. We as free americans, do things every day, that may kill us or, at least, shorten our lives. Smoking being only one of them.

I respect those people who simply cannot be around smoke, because it makes them ill andI do not smoke in their presence, whether at home or out.... I do not smoke when my Grands are here, out of respect for my DD's wishes.

These Ban Wars are usually not started by the truly effected people, but, rather by rable rousers...people who always need a cause-de-jour, to rant about..

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

~If The World Didn't Suck, We Would All Fall Off~
SallyC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
KarenMarie (05-05-2008), Kitt (05-02-2008), lady_express_44 (05-02-2008), MSCherokee (05-04-2008)
Old 05-02-2008, 08:31 PM #4
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

I always hated rules. I am usually pretty kind and rewind but this anti smoking thing has went to far. It's gone so far that I almost double dog dare myself when I am out, to smoke on purpose. lol

Actually Jim and I have weened down to four cigs a day and you know what? I am good right where I am. OK, maybe five a day for me, Jim's stronger than I am. And, I don't want to quit completely because I really enjoy a cig like one might enjoy a glass of wine.

Yet, everyday, some people can go into a non-smoking bar, drink and still drive. No one cares right? Until they kill someone you love. I have yet to ever lose my control smoking and driving. I have yet to see a club called MASD. But we all know what MADD is.

Ok, off my now. Carry on.
KarenMarie (05-05-2008), lady_express_44 (05-02-2008), MSCherokee (05-04-2008), SallyC (05-02-2008), sugarboo (05-03-2008)
Old 05-02-2008, 08:39 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

This is one of my soap boxes.

I hear you loud and clear, beautiful. Seems the nicotine nazis just won't be happy until a smoker like me comes unglued and starts shooting people.

My argument may seem sophmoric, but is Canada pedophile free? Rapist or drunk driver free? Illegal drug free? You know... REAL problems??!!

And the same is happening to the U.S. as well.

And the taxes we smokers pay... Where do you think our goverments are going to get that lost revenue if we all quit?

Everyone. Smoker or not will have to chip in on that one.

"It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedoms". -Bill Hicks

Always outnumbered...
Never outgunned

*I* am the MonSter that MS fears
MooseasaurusRex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AZjanie (05-02-2008), KarenMarie (05-05-2008), lady_express_44 (05-02-2008), SallyC (05-02-2008), SandyC (05-02-2008)
Old 05-02-2008, 09:01 PM #6
Elder Member

15 yr Member
Elder Member

15 yr Member

warning me to stop smoking may be hazardous (sp?)to your health,

I agree about going too far. I didnt have any trouble with the way it was smoking or non smoking. I have always smoked outside never in the house, but when i dine i rather non smoking i dont care for it while I dine. I never ever smelled a smoker while dinning out. As it was there were already non smoking bars, so if ya wanted a non smoking bar they were not hard to find to make it mandatory, shows how govt can go to far, they are to be a mediator for the people and not a dictatorship

History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme.............................Mark Twain

weegot5kiz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Becky21 (05-03-2008), lady_express_44 (05-02-2008), MooseasaurusRex (05-02-2008), SallyC (05-02-2008), SandyC (05-03-2008)
Old 05-02-2008, 09:36 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I am a former smoker.

Quitting was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life but it was a PERSONAL decision and what was right for ME.

I would never tell another person they couldn't smoke around me because most of my friends still are smoking anyhow.

BTW; after I quit smoking I gained 40 pounds so if you need a reason to smoke....there it is!!

I still miss my Salems...

Brain damaged and I have MRI's to prove it!!
AZjanie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lady_express_44 (05-02-2008), SallyC (05-02-2008), SandyC (05-03-2008)
Old 05-02-2008, 10:20 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Im with you guys!!! Here the teachers seem to pound it into the kids heads that they need to go to their parents and explain to them that smoking WILL kill them and that they are going to DIE and that they do not want their parent to die.....
I was so ticked the first(of so many) times they put that into my kids' heads'! How dare they! My son was always a worry wart and for quite a while it really affected him thinking I was gonna drop dead at any time!!!
I could rant and rave about some much more about it but it ticks me off so bad!!

LOVE DORRIE!!
dorrie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AZjanie (05-02-2008), lady_express_44 (05-02-2008), SallyC (05-02-2008), SandyC (05-03-2008)
Old 05-02-2008, 10:38 PM #9
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterMyNap View Post
If it's any consolation, Cherie, in CA, one has only to use a sidewalk near a bar to see the wonderful results of this pig-headed legislation. Add to that, it's now official, the leading health concern in the U.S. is morbid obesity. If they want to legislate health behaviors, they should start by taxing fat.

Well, it’s only a matter of time before they ban smoking on the sidewalk too. That’s what’s happened here with our new ‘progressive’ smoking laws . . . we have to be up to 30 ft from any doorway or window.

We could always become radicals in the fight against obesity? Some of those people sweat more, and tend to have more gas . . . . banish them to their homes, I say!! Not funny, but how far will this nonsense go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SallyC View Post
This whole smoking ban thing has been carried too far, I think. We as free americans, do things every day, that may kill us or, at least, shorten our lives. Smoking being only one of them.

It hasn’t been carried far enough as far as some people and our governments are concerned. Just wait . . .

... assuming that smoking does kill, Sally. Why are the Japanese and many other countries with very smoking per capita rates living longer then Americans and Canadians? Why don’t they have anywhere near the lung cancer rates we do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyC View Post
Yet, everyday, some people can go into a non-smoking bar, drink and still drive. No one cares right? Until they kill someone you love.

I hate rules too, Sandy, especially stupid ones. This lady, who is a major anti-smoker, has been hassling me in the park for the last 3 yrs. This year she approached everyone that was smoking (even from other communities) to tell them that smoking had been banned in our community’s parks, so they all slithered 2 blocks away to have their fags all weekend during the tournament. She was lying, it is not banned in any parks YET.

I had it out with her the other night and said “it’s not banned, but do you know what is against the law? . . . harassment”. I also said “drinking in the park is illegal too”, as she is an alcoholic who brings her booze in her coffee mug to the park. I can tell you, I don’t like breathing her air either!

She hates me now, BTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseasaurusRex View Post
My argument may seem sophmoric, but is Canada pedophile free? Rapist or drunk driver free? Illegal drug free? You know... REAL problems??!!

I guess you are gonna have to find a way to release that pent up stress from not smoking . . . so I'll be sure to wear a badge that says “I would smoke if I could”.

I'm hoping the pedophiles and rapists are in jail . . . but certainly those who aren’t, aren’t leaving a trail of smoke behind them anyway. Gotta love those sneaky bad habits.

The funny part about this whole law is that our premier, who is driving this “smoke-free BC” mandate, got caught drunk driving in Hawaii a couple of years ago. Lucky for him that his dirty habits are not so obvious . . .

I don't involve myself in other people's business, and I just don't want them to in mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weegot5kiz View Post
warning me to stop smoking may be hazardous (sp?)to your health

As it was there were already non smoking bars, so if ya wanted a non smoking bar they were not hard to find to make it mandatory, shows how govt can go to far, they are to be a mediator for the people and not a dictatorship

I think I'll wear that badge around you too then, Frank.

Most non-smokers don’t care that much about smoking, it is only a radical few that are pushing this . . . well, them and the government. The non-smoking movement is worth a lot of money to the Lung and Heart Associations, pharma companies (selling useless quit smoking drugs), and governments (at least while they can charge so much for taxes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZjanie View Post
BTW; after I quit smoking I gained 40 pounds so if you need a reason to smoke....there it is!!

Oh, oh . . . better not start harping on the obese people until I see what happens to me when I am forced to quit. I'll stick with harassing the drinkers for now.
"Thanks for this!" says:
AZjanie (05-02-2008), MooseasaurusRex (05-02-2008), SallyC (05-02-2008), SandyC (05-03-2008)
Old 05-03-2008, 07:14 AM #10
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

I quit smoking about 19 years ago when I was pregnant with my first child.

I dont crave it anymore but still enjoy the smell of a "fresh" cig.

I really think in this day they'd be able to invent ventillation systems
that would allow smoking sections or smoking rooms in buildings that
would allow smokers to smoke so that would elliminate that burst of
smoke you get when you walk out of a building

just my two cents.......

soxmom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AZjanie (05-03-2008), lady_express_44 (05-03-2008), SallyC (05-03-2008), SandyC (05-03-2008)