The Stumble Inn The place for social chat for our M.S. community. The Stumble Inn

advertisement

Old 05-09-2008, 10:17 AM #1
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Default My Daring Feat of the Day

OK, maybe the hermititis got to me and I had to find little things to entertain myself while stuck in this 900 sq ft apartment but . . .

I know that we have talked about the FitFlops but since I cannot afford $50 shoes I have to go with what I have - all my wedge sandals, 6 pairs of these beauties. When I saw that FitFlop thread I thought I would try them to see what would happen. It didn't go well at all. I crashed.

I tried again last weekend as my gait has been pretty good since this last flare. It worked!!!! Not only that, I could feel the "workout" in my calves. It felt great. So I decided to push a little further as the extra workout felt great. (Hey, I have to keep fighting this MS and what it is doing to me). I decided to try wearing them while cleaning the house the other day. Not necessarily a pretty picture - me in my jammies with pretty, high-heeled, wedged flip-flops and their jeweled embellishments but hey . . .I just had to try. I did fine!

Today, while working with my GoFit balance disk thing (which by the way really helps with your core and you can use it while sitting down if standing is too difficult that day), I wore them to see what would happen. LOL. I did not attempt the exercises but I could wear these flip flop wedges and maintain some balance!

I was thrilled. Not only about the balance thing but that I can wear some of my pretty and more feminine shoes this summer.

What daring feats have tried lately?
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SallyC (05-09-2008), SandyC (05-09-2008), Victor H (05-09-2008)

advertisement
Old 05-09-2008, 10:34 AM #2
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Awesome! When I looked at the FitFlops I knew that I'd only be able to handle the "flop" part, so I chickened out. I'm so glad they're working for you. When will you do the infomercial on them??

My latest daring feat has been using a mini-stepper. I have to cling to the furniture, but it's really nice to be moving in a vertical position again. I find myself doing it 4-5 times a day for 2-3 minutes at a time. I'm feeling it in my legs and it's nice to feel anything in them!

For every day I choose to play,
I set aside a day to pay.
—AMN

"Sometimes plastic wrap just won't cling, no matter how much money you put in the meter."

—From the Book of True Wizdom
AfterMyNap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (05-09-2008), SallyC (05-09-2008), tkrik (05-09-2008), Victor H (05-09-2008)
Old 05-09-2008, 10:38 AM #3
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Oh, I didn't get the FitFlops. I can't afford those. With careful planning that would be a weeks worth of groceries and I am sure Medicare does not pay for FitFlops. I just used my own shoes that I already had.

AMN that's great! Doesn't it feel good to do something that feels "normal?"
Old 05-09-2008, 10:40 AM #4
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Tricia! So glad that flare is behind you and you can wear pretty shoes again! "Change your shoes, change your life." Teehee!

Ummm, the only accomplishment that might be considered a feat, was that I got on my mountain bike for the first time in months and months. Wasn't sure how the healing broken ankle would handle it, but we did just fine.

Rode about 4 miles to the cemetery and back. I'm in a rural area and it was wonderful to see all the flowering trees in various stages of spring bloom. And the newly tilled farmer's fields. And the cows and horses and birds. Such a beautiful time of year.

Thanks for the thread so I could count my blessings. Hope your day is wonderful!

I've lost my mind ... and I don't miss it!

LIFE HAS NO REMOTE -- GET UP AND CHANGE IT YOURSELF!
Twinkletoes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SallyC (05-09-2008), tkrik (05-09-2008), Victor H (05-09-2008)
Old 05-09-2008, 10:44 AM #5
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Twink, that is so cool!!!! 4 MILES! That is incredible. I hope you gave yourself a huge pat on the back for that one.

I have not ridden since MS plucked my balance from me. Now it's too hot out to even attempt it. It will be swimming for the next several months.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Twinkletoes (05-09-2008)
Old 05-09-2008, 10:53 AM #6
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfterMyNap View Post
Awesome! When I looked at the FitFlops I knew that I'd only be able to handle the "flop" part, so I chickened out. I'm so glad they're working for you. When will you do the infomercial on them??

My latest daring feat has been using a mini-stepper. I have to cling to the furniture, but it's really nice to be moving in a vertical position again. I find myself doing it 4-5 times a day for 2-3 minutes at a time. I'm feeling it in my legs and it's nice to feel anything in them!
Where did you get the mini-stepper? Is it fairly small? I got the GoFit disk because it is not as big as those balance balls and I can just slip it under the couch. I did think of getting one of the cycling things that you can sit on a chair/couch and use. But I never considered a mini-stepper.
Old 05-09-2008, 10:55 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I haven't heard of Fitflops, I'll have to hit google.

Heck I haven't worn cute shoes since my early 20s. The 80s in Jersey, high heels, tight jeans and big hair, urrgh!
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
Anonymous
Jules A is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tkrik (05-09-2008)
Old 05-09-2008, 11:01 AM #8
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I was a wall-walker for a few years, and decided to try to re-train my brain to have some sense of balance. It wasn't easy at first . . . but this cheap little contraption helped out considerably (I think it only cost me about $5, from Jysk):

http://docgerrytan.com/2007/02/27/th...p-lose-weight/

I don't do any exercise that has the potential to "jar" my spine, and this doesn't. What I really liked about it though, especially in the beginning, was that it was only about 2" from the floor (and I could hold onto a wall), so I didn't have far to fall if I lost my balance. Also, I like that you can do it at your own pace, so you can start out really slow.

Glad to hear you are trying to find a way to get your footing back, tkrik.

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
SallyC (05-09-2008), Victor H (05-09-2008)
Old 05-09-2008, 11:02 AM #9
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Jules - give it a try. You'd be surprised at the workout it gives your calves. Heck, if MS lets me keep my gait this good I'll have toned calves in a week. LOL. It has been over 2 years since I have worn any of these shoes. Most the time I wear regular flip flops or slippers. MS hates shoes. I love shoes.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Twinkletoes (05-09-2008), Victor H (05-09-2008)
Old 05-09-2008, 11:04 AM #10
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrik View Post
Where did you get the mini-stepper? Is it fairly small? I got the GoFit disk because it is not as big as those balance balls and I can just slip it under the couch. I did think of getting one of the cycling things that you can sit on a chair/couch and use. But I never considered a mini-stepper.
Amazon.com. It's really small, weighs about 20lbs. so I can move it if I want to. It's just in my room near my desk so I hop on it when I go by. I really like it. Thing is, my balance is so bad that I must hang on to something solid.

For every day I choose to play,
I set aside a day to pay.
—AMN

"Sometimes plastic wrap just won't cling, no matter how much money you put in the meter."

—From the Book of True Wizdom
AfterMyNap is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Victor H (05-09-2008)