The Stumble Inn The place for social chat for our M.S. community. The Stumble Inn

advertisement

Old 05-10-2008, 01:10 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Where did my money go?

I just returned from the grocer and spent over $175.00 on NOTHING! We just finished unpacking and putting everything away, and my husband said to me, that there doesn't seem to be anything to eat in the house, and he's correct. I didn't buy anything substantial like fish or chicken. We don't eat junk food. I bought some produce and dairy products that I take to work for lunch and a few cleaning supplies. Now, we've got to go back out to Costco to get FOOD (real food). I don't understand how families of more than 4 can make it anymore. We're just 2 people who eat 3 healthy meals a day, and our grocer's bill has gone up by at least 40% in the last year! Is it just around here, or is everyone noticing this?

What are you doing to cope? I thought at one time that I might be able to stop working soon, but I can't. We simply can't afford it!

Chris is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Blessings2You (05-10-2008), Jappy (05-12-2008), whispers (05-10-2008)

advertisement
Old 05-10-2008, 01:47 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Chris,

There is a system developed by local farmers in many parts of the US called "Local Harvest". This is a system of local farmers (all organic) who sell their harvest directly to families and avoid marketing to grocery stores.

Each week, if you join Local Harvest, you will get a huge box of fresh vegetables and fruit. The boxes contain more than enough for a family of 4 to last at least one week. The cost is so much cheaper than going to the grocery store.

Take a look at their website: localharvest.org

Maybe it will be helpful to you.

-Vic
Victor H is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AfterMyNap (05-10-2008), Blessings2You (05-10-2008), Chris (05-10-2008), DM (05-11-2008), Kitty (05-10-2008), MSacorn (05-14-2008), Natalie8 (05-13-2008), SallyC (05-10-2008), SandyC (05-10-2008), tamiloo (05-10-2008), woodhaven (05-10-2008)
Old 05-10-2008, 02:18 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

It is a bit frightening! It used to be 'when you break a twenty, it is gone'. Now, it is 'when you break a check, it is gone!' Cleaning products, detergents are extremely expensive. Maybe we should just clean with water...I have eliminated all the products that cause me to gag and exchanged for others that I am not allergic to.

Victor's contribution about localharvest.org is terrific! I am going to try. I clicked 'thanks', Victor, but nothing appeared! I must have lost my touch!...
whispers is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Victor H (05-10-2008)
Old 05-10-2008, 03:06 PM #4
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

I hear you loud and clear! My grocery bill the other day, I kid you not, $397.00!!! I only bought what we needed. The only non grocery items were cleaning supplies and a few outside plants. I was sick to my stomach. The boys come home next week and I don't know what we're going to do with four to feed.
Chris (05-10-2008)
Old 05-10-2008, 03:06 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor H View Post
Chris,

There is a system developed by local farmers in many parts of the US called "Local Harvest". This is a system of local farmers (all organic) who sell their harvest directly to families and avoid marketing to grocery stores.

Each week, if you join Local Harvest, you will get a huge box of fresh vegetables and fruit. The boxes contain more than enough for a family of 4 to last at least one week. The cost is so much cheaper than going to the grocery store.

Take a look at their website: localharvest.org

Maybe it will be helpful to you.

-Vic
Thank you Vic. I just checked out the website, and for someone living in California, I'm sure it's a very economical way of buying fresh fruits and vegetables. I just priced 6 avocados, and it would cost $23.00 by the time they are shipped here and taxes are assesed. That is even more outrageous than what I just paid for avocados here this morning. I suppose the price of fuel is what is raising the cost of shipping food, but I still can not comprehend how a family of 4 can live and eat well if only one parent is working. I believe it is only going to get worse in the next few months, and I'm truly frightened for people, especially the elderly and those who are on a fixed income.

"Thanks for this!" says:
SandyC (05-10-2008), Victor H (05-10-2008)
Old 05-10-2008, 03:11 PM #6
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member

try this chris:

http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

just put in your zip code.

i found one very close to me.

Curious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chris (05-10-2008), Victor H (05-10-2008)
Old 05-10-2008, 03:11 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyC View Post
I hear you loud and clear! My grocery bill the other day, I kid you not, $397.00!!! I only bought what we needed. The only non grocery items were cleaning supplies and a few outside plants. I was sick to my stomach. The boys come home next week and I don't know what we're going to do with four to feed.
Oh Sandy,
I can't even begin to fathom what it is like. Do your boys work during the summers? Do they contribute to some of the household expenses? I know that we paid close to $400.00 here last summer during the summer months just to air condition our home. One can't live in the south without air-conditioning, especially having MS! I'm sure it's not much cheaper where you are. Are you still sure you want to move to Tenn. in the near future?

"Thanks for this!" says:
SandyC (05-10-2008)
Old 05-10-2008, 03:14 PM #8
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

I just purchased a $300 gift card at Kroger and they put $330 on it. A $600 gift card would have $660 on it. I will be buying groceries there anyway and I just made $30 for doing nothing but shopping where I normally shop anyway. They're adding 10% - they want you to spend your stimulus check there.

My grocery bill each week is usually between $100 and $145 depending on how many coupons I have and what's on sale. But.....I have my 20 year old son at home with me and he can go through some food!!
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chris (05-10-2008), SandyC (05-10-2008), Victor H (05-10-2008)
Old 05-10-2008, 03:16 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious View Post
try this chris:

http://www.localharvest.org/csa/

just put in your zip code.

i found one very close to me.
No-nothing. We live in a rather urban area, so we'd have to travel at least an hour each way to get to the closest place, or have it shipped. So, again the savings are lost on gas or in the shipping. There is also a very high state sales tax in GA., which adds to the high cost of food. I believe it is 7% in our county.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:17 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Here locally everything on the shelf you pick up is at a price that I am compelled to hold it in my hand and consider if I NEED it.

EXAMPLE:
Case of soda: $12.99
Cereal: $5.99
Milk (Gallon): $4.99
Bread: $3.59
Steak (2-3): $30.00

I shop Costco for most supplies and fruit and veggies we eat alot of. That bill ususally hits about $150. Then I go to the regular grocery store for things I don't need in bulk and spend another $150. This is for me & DH...with a college student that comes and goes and buys most of her own food on the run or with friends out.

I don't think the price of food, gas and survival has hit its highest yet. I think we have a long road ahead and every dime we spend could make or break us. Gone are the days of buying in impulse. Even when things get better, we will never see the prices we had a year ago IMHO.

Just my two-cents....

Wisdom to the soul is what health is to the body
sugarboo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Chris (05-10-2008), Victor H (05-10-2008)