Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 05-19-2008, 09:16 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default ACDF 3 levels--to do it or not?

I am struggling with the decision over having this surgery or not. I have exhausted all other possibilities including NSAIDs, PT, exercise, traction, TENS, etc. The pain is growing and I am concerned about waiting, but reading these threads has me frantic with worry about recovering and getting back to work. I live alone and have some friends that can help out but nonetheless I am amazed at some of the lengthy recovery times and wondering how I will manage. When I had an appendectomy 13 years ago I spasmed alot near the incision site and wound up with an incisional hernia. I don't know how I'll react to a neck wound like this and I worry that I'll never be able to swallow or breathe normally again. I'm a 46 y-o male. I also have spondylosis that has gotten much worse with all the exercises for my neck that I have been doing, pain down the whole right side down to the knee, and I'm worried about that also. Any advice would be welcome. Thanks!
Howardnycva is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 05-19-2008, 07:21 PM #2
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Default welcome to forum~

I have never had this pain at the neck area, only in the lumbar. I can tell you this, you will need help around the clock for a while. If you think you have pain now, wait till the surgery. I have had seven lumbar surgeries and they were all painful. Some never helped at all. I still have pain to some degree.

What surgery are you talking about? If it is spinal fusion, yes, it is painful and not intended to take away all pain. The surgery is usually to help with numbness and some pain like you mentioned. My doctor would not garentee it would help with pain at all. I do wish you good luck and ask a lot of questions before you decide what to do.
Fancylady

She who hides nothing, has nothing to hide~
Fancylady_2006 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 03:54 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Howard,
I had surgery like yours, but at 2 levels - C6/7.
I was lucky to have a husband and 14yr old son (who happened to be on holidays the 3 weeks after surgery) to be around for company and help in the house. However I would say that you could manage without in-house support if you prepare meals and freeze them before hand etc. I was probably house-bound for a couple of days after after surgery - mainly sitting (with walks around the house every half hour) watching tv. Reading was harder because of the neck, but I did manage it in short bursts holduing the book at face level. Really I guess if I had to I could have made myself sandwiches and meals. You aren't bed bound - maybe I was just a little unmotivated because I had help.
The pain was controlled initially with 3 days meds from the hospital and then more meds from my GP. There were gentle theraputic exercises (eg slowly moving the neck to left and right) and instructions not to lift more than 5lbs in weight.
I met up with friends for coffee after about 3 days and walked around the supermarket - but rested when I got home. I guess I was 'tired' for the first 2 weeks.
After 3 weeks I could drive (though some say 4 weeks, but I had to get my son to school), with reversing being a bit of a strain on the neck.
I was told that a worker in heavy industry might be absent for 6 weeks; while a general (eg. office) worker might be off for 4 weeks.
I am still recovering after 8 weeks, though I have the energy to do everything I normally would - but I gratefully accepted my GPs offer to arrange 20 sessions of hydrotherapy and 20 of physiotherapy at a local rehab hopital, as I still need painkillers and do not have the full range of movement. This could even take up to a year to resolve itself (if it is going to - otherwise I will then have to say that surgery was unsuccesful).
Good luck with your decision. Go with your instinct - if you are used to living alone and caring for yourself, I'd say you'd manage the situation pretty well. Don't be afraid to call on friends for things like lifts to places, company and general help!
kaye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote