Pets & Wildlife For discussion of the pets in our lives, and the wildlife we come across.

advertisement

Old 05-24-2008, 11:51 PM #1
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member
Default Need some bird advice please!

Hubby and I can't have a dog, and we can't have a cat because we live in leased accommodation, but I'd like to get my DH a pet if at all possible.

DH has a "big" birthday coming up in October, and I was wondering if anyone knows if owners and estate agents are usually harsh when it comes to the "No Pets Rule", if it involves a caged bird? I know that things are probably digfferent between our countries, but it may give me some-where to start if I knew that it's allowable where you live.

We did have a bird aviary a little while ago, and DH has always had much enjoyment from the wild birds that he feeds. I was thinking of getting him a hand reared Cockatiel for his birthday. He is very fond of all animals and he's grown to really love the birds. My friend has an Australian Rosella Parrot that talks, and my DH just loves it so very much!

Also ..... the 1st of September is the first day of Spring here in Australia. What chance would I have of getting a hand reared cockatiel ready for mid October for my hubby? That would be approx 6 weeks into spring for all you bird lovers!

Any advice and/or suggestions gladly received.

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (05-27-2008)

advertisement
Old 05-25-2008, 12:09 AM #2
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

What a thoughtful wife you are, Koala! I'll bet your hubby will love a feathered friend for his b-day.

I'll bet your Grand Koala will love it too!

Sorry, no experience with birds, but sending hugs to you!

I've lost my mind ... and I don't miss it!

LIFE HAS NO REMOTE -- GET UP AND CHANGE IT YOURSELF!
Twinkletoes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Koala77 (05-25-2008)
Old 05-25-2008, 01:16 AM #3
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Thanks Twink. I want to get him something special for his birthday, and a Cockatiel is something that will not only last, but as a bird lover..........it's something he can come to love as well.

They can easily be taught to talk, and I think it's something he'd get a lot of enjoyment out of.

He still wears the same watch I bought him over 20 years ago. He still has the signet ring I bought him before we were married, so a gift he would treasure is getting harder and harder to think of all the time.

My two concerns are whether or not a caged bird would be allowed in leased accommodation, and whether or not his birthday in October is far enough into Spring to allow the purchase of a hand reared bird, remembering that September 1st is the beginning of Spring in Australia.

Thank you to anyone who has any advice.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:20 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I know so little about leased property ... Isn't there anyone you can phone and ask?

I have some friends who own (not rent) an apartment in Chicago in a giant high-rise building and part of their contract was "No Pets" but they have two large parrots who are not caged unless no one is home.

I know even less about caged birds.
I am wishing you the bess on a grand idea.
Wren is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Koala77 (05-25-2008)
Old 05-25-2008, 06:05 PM #5
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koala77
Hubby and I can't have a dog, and we can't have a cat because we live in leased accommodation, but I'd like to get my DH a pet if at all possible.

DH has a "big" birthday coming up in October, and I was wondering if anyone knows if owners and estate agents are usually harsh when it comes to the "No Pets Rule", if it involves a caged bird? I know that things are probably digfferent between our countries, but it may give me some-where to start if I knew that it's allowable where you live.

We did have a bird aviary a little while ago, and DH has always had much enjoyment from the wild birds that he feeds. I was thinking of getting him a hand reared Cockatiel for his birthday. He is very fond of all animals and he's grown to really love the birds. My friend has an Australian Rosella Parrot that talks, and my DH just loves it so very much!

Also ..... the 1st of September is the first day of Spring here in Australia. What chance would I have of getting a hand reared cockatiel ready for mid October for my hubby? That would be approx 6 weeks into spring for all you bird lovers!

Any advice and/or suggestions gladly received.

Ask the landlord, just to be sure.

Our cockatiel Jesse was hatched sometime around Halloween and we got him in time for Christams '99 - a gift for dd.

He is just starting to go through his yearly meanie phase. Mating season gets him cranky even though he's a caged, indoors bird. They can mate at any time now till fall - I'd say about 5 months, as September had to have been when Jes was concieved.

It could be tough to find one, but call around. I'm sure you can find a few reputable breeders to ask. And too, your birds' breeding habbits may not be like they are up here.

If I had to, I'd wait until a new crop came out rather than take a bird more than a couple months old who may have already bonded with someone. Some are fine with new people, some don't do so well (ask my family about Jake, lol).

You could always do the cage and supplies, and then your dh could actually pick the bird that tugs his heartstrings. I know, having the bird would be a better surprise, but it could work okay either way.

Anyhoo, let us know what you do.

I'm excited just thinking about it, lol.
Jomar (05-25-2008), Koala77 (05-25-2008)
Old 05-25-2008, 10:08 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Excellent idea of getting him the bird for his birthday! I'd double check with the landlord first, some are quite picky about their "No Pets" rules to point where they don't even allow a child to have a goldfish in a bowl!! GRRR
Our Ringneck parrot was born on New Yrs Day of '94 and hand fed by the breeder. We purchased him when he was 3 1/2 mo. old. If your DH likes the ones that talk, there are many smaller types that aren't that expensive. Go to a local pet store & go from there..they might know a breeder in your area.

Good luck,

Marilyn

We are friends for a reason. Sometimes we don't know why until we've been friends for a long time !!!

Take time to laugh, it's music to the soul.

Corkybird is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Koala77 (05-26-2008)
Old 05-25-2008, 11:22 PM #7
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

even the little parakeets are quite fun , they can learn tricks and just sit on your shoulder or head..
supposedly the males are more friendly, we had 3 and the males were nicer & easier to play with than the female.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (05-27-2008), Koala77 (05-25-2008)
Old 05-26-2008, 06:54 AM #8
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo55
even the little parakeets are quite fun , they can learn tricks and just sit on your shoulder or head..
supposedly the males are more friendly, we had 3 and the males were nicer & easier to play with than the female.
yes...female budgies bite alot and don't talk much. They have pink nares when mature...the males have blue. I had two parakeets while growing up, and they were alot of fun! VERY. The second one was very smart and trainable. The first was less so.

I don't know about the temperaments of larger birds tho.
They DO require alot of attention...they bond typically with one person, and need alot of activity and interaction. If they don't get it they become neurotic, pull out all their feathers and get sick. If you Google bird rescues you will find sad stories there. So commitment is important.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Koala77 (05-26-2008)
Old 05-26-2008, 08:01 PM #9
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Thank you everyone. I guess by Parakeet we're actually on the same wave length here, except we call them Cockatiels, unless of course we're talking about two totally different types of bird.

Another option to the Cockatiel is a Budgerigar, and they will also talk if got young enough, but I really would prefer my first option if possible. We had little Peach Faced Parakeets when we had our aviary, and although they don't talk, DH grew to really love each of them so I know he would treasure this one.

Step one is underway. I've contacted the agents who leased us the house, and they'll contact the owners who actually live in New Zealand and let me know the verdict. I had to be a bit sneaky and ask that they don't phone back with the answer incase DH answers the call.

I think they'd be pretty awful if they refused, and as for that gold-fish Corky, that's just darn mean!

"Thanks for this!" says:
Twinkletoes (05-27-2008)
Old 05-27-2008, 06:43 AM #10
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

I love birds - especially parakeets. I had a male parakeet while growing up named Sam. He was so smart - seemed like such a happy little bird. We thought putting another bird in the cage with him would be nice - keep him company, etc. We got a female parakeet - named her Suzy. Well, let me warn you that everyone is right when they say that the males are the friendlier bird. Suzy was a grouch.....made poor Sam's life miserable. I felt so bad for him. We finally had to put them in separate cages because he was so "hen pecked" - literally!!!

If I had to do it over again I would only get a male bird and I would not try to introduce a female to him. He seemed happy alone and we should have left it that way.

Let us know what you decide to get - and post pics once the surprise is given to hubby!!
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Koala77 (05-27-2008)