Pets & Wildlife For discussion of the pets in our lives, and the wildlife we come across.

advertisement

Old 05-26-2008, 08:09 PM #1
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Default Parakeet At My Birdfeeder Today!!

I was watching the birds outside today and noticed a green flash of color....looked out the window and there sat a pretty parakeet on my birdfeeder!! I was on the phone with Joelle (a member here on the MS Forum) and right in the middle of our conversation I blurted out "there's a parakeet on my birdfeeder!!"

He stayed out there all afternoon. I felt so bad for him because he seemed to want to sit with all the sparrows (who were all lined up on the porch railing watching him) but they'd fly away whenever he came near them.

I know he must be someones pet that got out.
I hope he can find his way back home. He seems to be enjoying the bird seed, though!
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 05-26-2008, 09:08 PM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herekitty1960
I was watching the birds outside today and noticed a green flash of color....looked out the window and there sat a pretty parakeet on my birdfeeder!! I was on the phone with Joelle (a member here on the MS Forum) and right in the middle of our conversation I blurted out "there's a parakeet on my birdfeeder!!"

He stayed out there all afternoon. I felt so bad for him because he seemed to want to sit with all the sparrows (who were all lined up on the porch railing watching him) but they'd fly away whenever he came near them.

I know he must be someones pet that got out.
I hope he can find his way back home. He seems to be enjoying the bird seed, though!

That's the type of bird I posted out in my bird thread Kelly. I want to get a young one for DH's birthday, and if it's a young'n, he can teach it to talk.

They're just sooo beautiful!

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (05-27-2008)
Old 05-27-2008, 04:07 PM #3
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Well, he's back again today. He's such a cutie - I think I'm gonna have to get a bird cage and see if he'll get in. I hate the thought of him out there alone - and the sparrows are being snooty and not letting him sit with them. I don't know if birds can see in color but if they can they are probably wondering what the heck kind of bird he is!

I might have to see if my oldest son and his girlfriend will take the bird if I can manage to get him into a cage. I have two cats that would be just thrilled to have this little friend in the house!!
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:18 PM #4
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

We had one in our neighborhood a few years ago, I named him Goldie. He had the time of his life that summer and fall but I could never get him to enter a cage.

He followed the sparrows all summer long, he even made advances toward them sometimes like he wanted to nest, the poor little guy! They seemed to accept him and he flew around in a flock together all summer. I have to assume he died from exposure as it got colder, but he certainly enjoyed his last months of life. I have pics of him at home, he was a pretty bird!

Turn Left at the next election.

RRMS DX 01/28/03 Started Copaxone again on 12/09/09
ewizabeth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (05-27-2008)
Old 05-27-2008, 04:44 PM #5
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Ooo Wow....

I'd faint dead away if a parakeet came to a feeder of mine!

Of course we are pretty far north.

I'd feel it was KARMA or something! DUH!

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (05-27-2008)
Old 05-27-2008, 05:25 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

My sister raised Parakeets as a little girl. Now she rescues parrots of all kinds and has about 14 of them!

Anyway, when her daughter was little she found a Parakeet with its feet frozen on the back bumper of a car at their apartment complex. She went to get her mom (my sister) and they saved that little bird. Just recently this same daughter, now grown and on her own, had a snow white Dove that just landed on her balcony at her apartment. My niece held out her hand and it just came right into her hand. We think it was probably one of those Doves that are released at weddings. Anyway, she says it is happy bird and quite content to be in a cage, being fed and watered.
I think all those birds are neat and if you could hear my sister's birds talk you would all just crack up!
They have conversations amongst themselves....it is hilarious.
Kathi49 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Corkybird (05-28-2008), Kitty (05-27-2008)
Old 05-27-2008, 06:15 PM #7
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

The sparrows are probably freaking out!

We thought we was purdy! You go away, you green hussy!

Try setting a cage with food and a mirror out there and see if he goes in it. You may have a free pet.

Kathi ( I'm Cathy) a friend of mine does parrot rescue too.
I've lost count how many birds she has - there are two aviaries in her yard plus the cages in the house.

Her African Grey doesn't talk but he can whistle any show tune you can think of.
Kitty (05-27-2008)
Old 05-27-2008, 06:45 PM #8
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Quote:
......... I think I'm gonna have to get a bird cage and see if he'll get in. ...

That's exactly how we got our first one Kel. There was just one that kept coming to our front patio, so in the end we picked up a cage from a second hand store, and he eventually went in. After that we bought or were given more, and ended up with an aviary.

Quote:
. I have two cats that would be just thrilled to have this little friend in the house!!

We bought an aviary on legs so that snakes couldn't get in, and our cat used to sit underneath and actually shoo away any of the neighbourhood cats that ventured too close.

Our birds were his family, and he protected them.

"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (05-27-2008), Kitty (05-27-2008), Twinkletoes (05-28-2008)
Old 05-28-2008, 09:05 AM #9
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

He's back again today.....I'm calling it a "he" because I cannot get close enough to see the top of it's beak to determine what it is.

He's green with a little yellow cap on his head. He's so hard to see when he's walking around in the grass - if it wasn't for that pop of yellow I don't think I would be able to see him!! I just look for the little yellow ball bobbing around the backyard and I know it's him!

I'm going to try and get a birdcage in the next couple of days and see if he will get in. I have a mirror that I can put inside to attract him.

If I do manage to catch him what should I name him?
Old 05-28-2008, 06:28 PM #10
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Quote:
...If I do manage to catch him what should I name him?

Why don't you wait and see if you can capture it first Kel, as it's usually easier to decide on a name when you get a bit of an idea of their personality.

We did name some of Peach Faced Parakeets by their looks though, like Bandit 'cos he had a dark mask around his eyes, and then Smokey because she was a pale dusky blue colour. We then had Smokey and the Bandit

DH named our bright yellow one Pumpkin, and we had Rusty and K.C. (Kasey).

Our friend has one named Cookie that talks......

"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (05-28-2008)