Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 06-10-2008, 11:45 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default L5/S1 fusion w/instruments and neuropathy

May 13th had fusion and hospitalized for 5 days. Dealing w/back pain and hereditary sensory neuropathy for 10 years when got to the point of sciatica bilaterially so bit the bullet and had the surgery. Friday will be one month and curious where others were at physically that had neuropathy to deal with along with the back problems. Feet are still numb and painful and nerve pain still there but feels different if that makes sense. We have a new super Walmart so I go there to walk daily since floor is flat and there are people around if I need assistance. Currently taking norocal, cymbalta and klonopin, was on oxycotin once I left the hospital but wheaned off of that quickly, helped the pain but to much naseau. Nights are the worst, trouble sleeping, pain in back ,calves and feet. Once the sun comes up things get better. I know it's a slow recovery process but feel like I take two steps forward and one step back daily. Guess I just needed to vent and would like to hear other's recovery stories.

Cathy911
cathy911 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-13-2008, 01:38 AM #2
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

So Sorry to hear about your pain...it sounds like with time things will get better for you.

Something that helped me with the leg pain was to do a hamstring stretch....was the best for me...still is!

“Being my sweethearts full-time care partner, I have to remind myself, when some well-meaning friend or relative questions my methods or motives, that I know more than they do because I Live this life 24/7, and they only come for short visits.” Tamiloo

Gotta love my Olhipie! Dx'd RRMS 1986, SPMS 2004

Watch my Olhipie Skiing....

tamiloo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:36 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smirk L5/S1 Fusion with instrumentation

Cathy, I had an anterior-posterior fusion L5/S1 the second week of January 2008. Prior to the surgery I had low back and leg pain. I returned to work full time (desk job) in early March. At this point in the recovery process I have almost no back pain but still have the leg and foot pain. I also had trouble getting a good nights rest. My doctor prescibed Ambien last week. It helps so ask your doctor about it. My leg and foot pain is worse when sitting or driving. It actually feels better when I walk around a bit. My doctors says that my recovery may take up to 24 months due to nerve "healing". I also sometimes feel that I am going backwards in regards to my leg pain but I do have days that I feel pretty good so I think progress is being made. Hang in there and in time you will have more good days than bad.
Geno43811 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:08 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geno43811 View Post
Cathy, I had an anterior-posterior fusion L5/S1 the second week of January 2008. Prior to the surgery I had low back and leg pain. I returned to work full time (desk job) in early March. At this point in the recovery process I have almost no back pain but still have the leg and foot pain. I also had trouble getting a good nights rest. My doctor prescibed Ambien last week. It helps so ask your doctor about it. My leg and foot pain is worse when sitting or driving. It actually feels better when I walk around a bit. My doctors says that my recovery may take up to 24 months due to nerve "healing". I also sometimes feel that I am going backwards in regards to my leg pain but I do have days that I feel pretty good so I think progress is being made. Hang in there and in time you will have more good days than bad.
Thanks for the replies, back to see surgeon in a week for followup and will take the xrays with. I'll ask about the ambien. Still not sleeping at night, nothing to be up for the day by 3 or 3:30. Seems once the sun comes up things get better, I also live in Illinois and we've been getting rain, rain, rain which isn't helping matters Im sure. Feedback is appreciated as always.

Cathy
Old 06-15-2008, 04:50 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi,

I have had sensori-motor peripheral neuropathy, diagnosed before anybody found spine problems. My fusion was 2006.

I think, if anything, the neuropathy symptoms MAY have become a bit lighter after the surgery, and it's possible that spinal stenosis contributed to some of the problems in my feet.

Overall, I think it was 2 years to feel back to normal. And when I say normal, I mean something you probably don't--my back never fused and I have pseudoarthrosis and loose screws, so a revision AP fusion is in my futre.

But in 2 years I felt much more my old self, and that the gains in strength and decrease of post-surgical pain had hit their max.

Do you post on the pn board? We're an active group there.

--- LYME neuropathy diagnosed in 2009; considered "idiopathic" neuropathy 1996 - 2009
---s/p laminectomy and fusion L3/4/5 Feb 2006 for a synovial spinal cyst
LizaJane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:02 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizaJane View Post
Hi,

I have had sensori-motor peripheral neuropathy, diagnosed before anybody found spine problems. My fusion was 2006.

I think, if anything, the neuropathy symptoms MAY have become a bit lighter after the surgery, and it's possible that spinal stenosis contributed to some of the problems in my feet.

Overall, I think it was 2 years to feel back to normal. And when I say normal, I mean something you probably don't--my back never fused and I have pseudoarthrosis and loose screws, so a revision AP fusion is in my futre.

But in 2 years I felt much more my old self, and that the gains in strength and decrease of post-surgical pain had hit their max.

Do you post on the pn board? We're an active group there.
I posted on the neuropathy board years ago and probably should again, one month since the fusion and the numbness still there in feet and legs along with muscle pain. I know I'm overanxious and tend to over do,two years was referring to the neuropathy and not the fusion since your's didn't take, get xrays tomorrow to check re: fusion keep fingers crossed. Thanks for the responses.

Cathy
Old 09-23-2008, 10:44 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hang in there...

Kathy,
This July 1, I had a double lumbar fusion (L4-L5, L5-S1) and disc replacement at both levels, all in the same surgery. I only expected SINGLE fusion/disc replacements but my surgeon found more damage than MRIs showed. I am a 44 yr old healthy and athletic male who "tolerated" (sometimes poorly) the 12 plus years of pain, occasional bed confinement, and even bowel, bladder, and ED problems. Conservative therapies provided only temporary relief. Peripheral parasthesias and neuropathy were the norm for me.

After 12 years of nerve root compression, the "relief" of this pressure has brought about a whole menu of pains and complications as these nerves regenerate themselves. My feet get very red, very hot, and very hyper sensitive. BUT, I can feel them now.

I continue on my prescribed regimen of Lyrica (75 mg TID) and Motrin (800 mg QHS) which considerably reduces these symptoms. Without them I feel the new painful sensations are every bit as bad as the pain which led me to surgery.

I work in the medical field in Administration--I have learned to ask, research, and even question my neurologist about changes in post surgical treatment (specifically, medications, restricted activities, etc...) if I am concerned about my post-surgical results. Educate yourself as much as you can--"google" topics of post surgical neuropathies and lumbar fusion aftercare. This will arm you with the information you need to ask the questions you need answered.
Compadre is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote