Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 06-11-2008, 08:32 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default inappropriate behavior

I currently facilitate two Parkinson support groups. In the past few months I have had four individuals share their stories of inappropriate and even criminal activities; each one had been taking a dopamine agonist at the time of the behavior. One of the individuals is currently facing litigation. I'm trying to find information on this issue that might be of help and would welcome anything this group has to share. Thanks for any help you can give.
Engie48 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-12-2008, 03:37 AM #2
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Lightbulb please look up the law suits for mirapex

dear Engie,
go to a law site or just type in "mirapex lawsuits" at google
PS - WELCOME to the PD forum at Neurotalk!

by
, on Flickr
pd documentary - part 2 and 3

Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and the wrong. Sometime in your life you will have been all of these.

Last edited by lou_lou; 06-12-2008 at 10:12 AM.
lou_lou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:20 PM #3
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member
Co-Administrator
Community Support Team

15 yr Member

Were they all taking the same med?

Was it excessive gambling, sexual, or other obsessive/compulsive behaviors?
Some of the meds can have that effect on some people.

They should try another type of med if that is the case.

If you know the med name you can do a search of the forum for it to find threads about it.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Curious (06-12-2008)
Old 06-12-2008, 04:42 PM #4
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Arrow dear jo~

the problem is with our main medicine / it has been deemed (the Gold systemof the PD drugs)
the Sinemet now known as Levodopa/Carbidopa...
the mirapex - is worse for me - I will never take it again... and some do fine
they think -yet it causes low blood pressure fuzzy thinking and
who knows what else, and now it is being given to the Restless Leg syndrome patients of which some are young teenagers?

http://www.scribd.com/search?query=mirapex

http://www.mirapex.com/?sc=MIRMIWEBSEM0507_001 [RLS ad]

http://www.mirapex.com/pd/Controller.jpf [PD ad]

here's the QUICK PDF for PD patients -
http://www.mirapex.com/pd/resources/...th_Mirapex.pdf

I typed in "gambling" to see if it was contained in the PDF - says - no?

here is the link for the pharmacist paperwork usually taken out of original box -to put the pills in prescription bottles with very little info on them:
depends upon the quality of the pharmacy?
I used to be a pharmacy technician...
http://bidocs.boehringer-ingelheim.c...ex/Mirapex.pdf

page 10 -
Renal
Since pramipexole(generic name for Mirapex) -added by Tena for clarity

is eliminated through the kidneys, caution should be exercised when prescribing Mirapex® (pramipexole dihydrochloride) tablets to patients with renal insufficiency (see DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION).
Dyskinesia
MIRAPEX tablets may potentiate the dopaminergic side effects of levodopa and may cause or exacerbate preexisting dyskinesia. Decreasing the dose of levodopa may ameliorate this side effect.
Retinal Pathology in Albino Rats
Pathologic changes (degeneration and loss of photoreceptor cells) were observed in the retina of albino rats in the 2-year carcinogenicity study. While retinal degeneration was not diagnosed in pigmented rats treated for 2 years, a thinning in the outer nuclear layer of the retina was slightly greater in rats given drug compared with controls. Evaluation of the retinas of albino mice, monkeys, and minipigs did not reveal similar changes. The potential significance of this effect in humans has not been established, but cannot be disregarded because disruption of a mechanism that is universally present in vertebrates (i.e., disk shedding) may be involved (see ANIMAL TOXICOLOGY).
Events Reported with Dopaminergic Therapy
Although the events enumerated below may not have been reported in association with the use of pramipexole in its development program, they are associated with the use of other dopaminergic drugs. The expected incidence of these events, however, is so low that even if pramipexole caused these events at rates similar to those attributable to other dopaminergic therapies, it would be unlikely that even a single case would have occurred in a cohort of the size exposed to pramipexole in studies to date.
Withdrawal-Emergent Hyperpyrexia and Confusion
Although not reported with pramipexole in the clinical development program, a symptom complex resembling the neuroleptic malignant syndrome (characterized by elevated temperature, muscular rigidity, altered consciousness, and autonomic instability), with no other obvious etiology, has been reported in association with rapid dose reduction, withdrawal of, or changes in antiparkinsonian therapy.
Fibrotic Complications
Although not reported with pramipexole in the clinical development program, cases of retroperitoneal fibrosis, pulmonary infiltrates, pleural effusion, and pleural thickening, pericarditis, and cardiac valvulopathy have been reported in some patients treated with ergot-derived dopaminergic agents. While these complications may resolve when the drug is discontinued, complete resolution does not always occur.
p -11

page 12 -
Impulse Control/Compulsive Behaviors
Cases of pathological gambling, hypersexuality, and compulsive eating (including binge eating) have been reported in patients treated with dopamine agonist therapy, including pramipexole therapy. As described in the literature, such behaviors are generally reversible upon dose reduction or treatment discontinuation.

continue reading page 12!

okay read page 23 of the above PDF

Other Adverse Events Observed During Phase 2 and 3 Clinical Trials
MIRAPEX tablets have been administered to 1620 Parkinson’s disease patients and to 889 RLS patients in Phase 2 and 3 clinical trials. During these trials, all adverse events were recorded by the clinical investigators using terminology of their own choosing; similar types of events were grouped into a smaller number of standardized categories using MedDRA dictionary terminology. These categories are used in the listing below.

Adverse events which are not listed above but occurred on at least two occasions (one occasion if the event was serious) in the 2509 individuals exposed to MIRAPEX tablets are listed below. The reported events below are included without regard to determination of a causal relationship to MIRAPEX tablets.
Blood and lymphatic system disorders: anemia, iron deficiency anemia, leukocytosis, leukopenia, lymphadenitis, lymphadenopathy, thrombocythaemia, thrombocytopenia
Cardiac disorders: angina pectoris, arrhythmia supraventricular, atrial fibrillation, atrioventricular block first degree, atrioventricular block second degree, bradycardia, bundle branch block, cardiac arrest, cardiac failure, cardiac failure congestive, cardiomegaly, coronary artery occlusion, cyanosis, extrasystoles, left ventricular failure, myocardial infarction, nodal arrhythmia, sinus arrhythmia, sinus bradycardia, sinus tachycardia, supraventricular extrasystoles, supraventricular tachycardia, tachycardia, ventricular fibrillation, ventricular extrasystoles, ventricular hypertrophy
Congenital, familial and genetic disorders: atrial septal defect, congenital foot malformation, spine malformation
p. 23

by
, on Flickr
pd documentary - part 2 and 3

Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and the wrong. Sometime in your life you will have been all of these.

Last edited by lou_lou; 06-12-2008 at 05:28 PM.
lou_lou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:58 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thank you for your help.

I did look up Mirapex lawsuits and was amazed by what I found. As for the people in my groups; one lost everything to gambling, the second lost everything to gambling plus activities not shared, the third has not shared any specifics and the fourth struggled with hypersexuality. I just learned of a fifth person who called the office last week with gambling issues. All of these folks were on one of the agonist drugs. I have no idea as to why this has all come to the forefront at this time.

We are taking steps now to begin a serious education program in our area. I know that this class of drug has done wonderful things for so many,
(I personally have not been able to tolerate them) but for those who are adversely affected it is devasting.

Again, thank you for your help.
Engie48 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lou_lou (06-14-2008)
Old 06-13-2008, 08:46 AM #6
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member

hi engie and welcome to nt.

have you used the search feature up top on the tool bar, to search for threads here on nt?

i know there have been discussions about mirapex.

Curious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:27 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engie48 View Post
I currently facilitate two Parkinson support groups. In the past few months I have had four individuals share their stories of inappropriate and even criminal activities; each one had been taking a dopamine agonist at the time of the behavior. One of the individuals is currently facing litigation. I'm trying to find information on this issue that might be of help and would welcome anything this group has to share. Thanks for any help you can give.
.No good doing a search on there as only just restarted, but I know a number of contributors have had problems.

Last edited by Curious; 06-13-2008 at 11:33 AM. Reason: edit required per nt guidlines
EnglishCountryDancer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:34 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I went om Mirapex in 2005 and within 3 months I was a cripple. I could not dress/undress myself or get into bed without help. I went off it for 3 months and foolishly went back on it because my neurologist insisted it was all in my head.

Once again within 3 months I was a train wreck (Rosebud's very apt description), only far worse. My weight dropped 25 pounds in 3 weeks. I started having delusions and hallucinations and freezing for hours. I crawled around the house on my hands and knees (I couldn't walk) and peed in a bowl in my bedroom. I started bidding on E-bay (something I had never done), once for 48 hours straight. I ordered all sorts of stuff from other web-sites as well. I can't even look at a flyer now without feeling sick.

I tried getting into a hospital only to be given anxiety drugs and sent home. Once they sent me to the Salvation Army homeless shelter and I was put in with female crack addicts and alcoholics. I was happy to be there because I was terrified being left alone.

I did end up having a breakdown at home, by myself. Following the breakdown I had a new problem. Credibility. Now I had emotional problems thrown into the mix. By the way I was treated or not taken seriously it was obvious that these false assumptions regarding my mental and emotional health were on my electronic medical file. A file that follows you around.

When I moved I went to 4 go-sees and not one of the doctors accepting new patients would take me on. Too complicated. It wasn't until I ended up in emergency and told a female doctor that I was opting out of the medical system because I could not get any help. It was pretty damn obvious I was in desperate straights. Within 2 days I had Home Care and things started to turn around.

I will never forget how I would sit on the floor hour after hour crying because I didn't know what to do. It has been over a year since I stopped taking Mirapex and addressing the whole drug issue as my treatment that I am finally making my way back. I don't know where I found the strength. I could be in assisted living right now and I knew that was where I was headed. And that was the fight that I had to win.

Bonnie
Old 06-14-2008, 11:19 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

website for more stories on problems with Mirapex

http://www.houstonpress.com/2005-09-...overstimulated