Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 06-17-2008, 06:04 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Week 4 after fusion, sleep still an issue

More questions, still sleeping on couch, haven't found any of our beds that work, occasionally a recliner will do it for the night. Problem is numbness and feet falling asleep forcing me to wake up and walk around to bring them back to life. Had L5/S1 fused with hardware and curious if this is the norm for others, I go see the surgeon next week for the first time and got my xrays yesterday. Anxious to see how he thinks things are going.

Cathy
cathy911 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-17-2008, 06:50 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy911 View Post
More questions, still sleeping on couch, haven't found any of our beds that work, occasionally a recliner will do it for the night. Problem is numbness and feet falling asleep forcing me to wake up and walk around to bring them back to life. Had L5/S1 fused with hardware and curious if this is the norm for others, I go see the surgeon next week for the first time and got my xrays yesterday. Anxious to see how he thinks things are going.

Cathy
bump up please
cathy911 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 01:41 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

A surgeon told a friend of mine that it can take a few months to essentially get all the chemical effects of surgery out of one's system. Disturbed sleep can be one symptom. That said, I didn't have fusion surgery, but a diskectomy (l4/l5) It was a solid month before I could sleep through the night, just dealing with assorted little pains. It was 3 months before I could say I felt normal.

Good luck to you,

Kay
supernova_krose is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:32 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

cathy

I had my 1st fusion in 2001. my second, a revision in 2005

the recovery is slow and frustrating. I found the most comfortable place for sleep was my recliner. I was in a brace 24 hrs a day (removed for showering only)I just couldn't lay in a bed it was so uncomfortable.

I can tell you one good thing to do to help your recovery. walk walk and walk some more. It is good for your circulation and good for healing and helps with sleep.

measure your progress in weeks not days....it is a slow process. when I had my 1st fusion I vowed I would never go thru this hell again. Unfortunately my fusion falled (actually collapsed) so I was bone on bone. Had to have the revision.

I am MUCH better now. I knew within 2 months after my 1st surgery it didn't work. I felt like ther was a brick in my back. within days of my second surgery i felt better.

Just remember you had a major surgery and it takes a long time to heal. I went back to work fulltime after my 1st surgery way to soon ....12 weeks. I was out of work after my second for 20 weeks.

aqua therapy is a great rehab too. I felt really good after my sessions. I'm happy to answer any ? you have. I know how you feel. try not to get discouraged. you may get a bit depressed too. I know i thought DAMN I SHOULD BE FEELING BETTER BY NOW!!!! Its a long recovery!!!

My best to you
Dottie
jaded2nite is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote