advertisement

Old 06-17-2008, 10:24 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default How To Bolster Your Blood-Brain Barrier

http://neuroprotectivelifestyle.com/...brain-barrier/
Jun How To Bolster Your Blood-Brain Barrier
Category: Neurobiology And Beyond

Just in case you didn’t know, the blood-brain barrier (BBB), serves as a veritable “surge protector” guarding against certain drugs, chemicals and toxins that find their way into your blood stream.

Depending on the biochemical characteristics of specific molecules, they may never find their way into the brain. Good thing, since most drugs are medicines first and neurotoxins second.

But what exactly constitutes the blood-brain barrier?

Blood vessels in the brain (unlike the rest of the body) are lined with endothelial cells that form tight junctions where they meet.

In other words, the space between cells that line the blood vessels in the brain is so small as to only permit specific nutritional substances, and nothing else.

More specifically, size matters when it comes to the blood-brain barrier. Large proteins are excluded entirely and unless small molecules are lipophilic (soluble in fat), they too will be discriminated against. In short, the brain is very, very particular about what substances cross the blood-brain barrier and be thankful that’s the case.

All bets are off however when inflammation due to infection or any number of other diseases is present. Under these conditions, integrity of the blood-brain barrier is compromised and a neurotoxic “free-for-all” assault on the brain ensues.

Recent advances in nanomedicine seek to exploit this particular vulnerability of the blood-brain barrier by developing a drug delivery system utilizing nanoparticles. Unfortunately, nanoparticles themselves may ultimately be found to possess neurotoxic properties thus exemplifying the inherent truth the traditional French proverb:

“Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose”, that is,

“the more things change, the more they stay the same”

So what’s an every-day-ordinary blood-brain barrier to do? Nano-neuro-nonsense on one hand or fledgling nutritional neuroscience on the other.

Well consider this for starters. Some of the most innocuous substances on planet earth serve as penultimate blood-brain barrier bolsterers. (I think bolsterers is a word).

Coffee, and the caffeine associated with it, has recently emerged as a neuroprotective agent. It’s clear now, the mechanism behind it’s neuroprotective properties includes caffeine’s ability to enhance the integrity of the BBB in addition to coffee’s inherent antioxidant properties.

Fortunately, flavonoids (a.k.a. phytochemicals, isoflavones, proanthocyanidines) can also traverse the BBB, bringing with them potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. The next time you enjoy fresh grapefruit juice, relish the bitterness. The citrus bioflavonoid naringenin accounts for both the bitterness and neuroprotective efficacy.

Not surprisingly, regular exercise improves BBB function even in the event of an ischemic stroke.

Ultimately, maintaining the integrity of the BBB may very well be the most effective way of ensuring life-long” cognitive reserve” and perhaps more importantly, establishing a neurobiological foundation for the “neuroprotective lifestyle”.

Coffee anyone?

About the Author:

Originally from Ontario, Canada, Dr. Friesen received his doctor of medicine degree from Queen’s University Faculty of Medicine. He completed post-doctoral training jointly at Wright State University School of Medicine and Kettering Medical Center in Dayton, Ohio. While at Kettering Medical Center he was awarded the Albert A. Brust award for “Excellence in Internal Medicine.” He graduated summa cum laude in 1987. Dr. Friesen is board certified in Internal Medicine with special medical interests in nootropics, neurochemistry and nano-bio-cogno-informatics.

Currently, Dr. Friesen is in private practice and lectures frequently on the subjects of “inflammation overload”, accelerated aging and the neuroprotective lifestyle. Dr. Friesen is available to provide informative lectures on his favorite motivational topic…“forget what you’ve heard—you CAN change your brain”.

~ Jean-Martin Charcot

The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed. William Gibson
olsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lou_lou (06-18-2008), Picksey (06-21-2008), Sasha (06-17-2008), smithclayriley (06-17-2008)

advertisement
Old 06-17-2008, 09:00 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Calling All White Rats!

Anyone familiar with this? Does it look good? (this is from the site listed above - interesting place, thanks for posting it!)

http://neuroprotectivelifestyle.com/...-take-inosine/

A simple OTC (over-the-counter) dietary supplement may hold the key to slowing or even preventing the onset of Parkinson’s and other neurodegenerative diseases.

Parkinson’s is a devastating movement disorder.... In a recent study however, Parkinson’s patients with the highest uric acid levels, were the least likely to require prescription medication....

But what does uric acid have to do with inosine?

Inosine is smack-dab in the middle of the metabolic pathway for the conversion of dietary purines (meat, nutritional yeast, certain vegetables) to uric acid. Supplemental inosine increases blood and cerebral spinal fluid levels of uric acid. While excess uric acid can cause gout in certain susceptible individuals, urate†, the physiologic form of uric acid is nothing but good news.

Here’s why:

1. Urate, (uric acid at normal blood pH) is a powerful antioxidant with more potency than vitamin C.
In fact, uric acid may very well represent a vitamin C substitute...

2. Intravenous inosine has neuroprotective and neuroregenerative properties. In fact, inosine is currently being investigated for the treatment of spinal cord injuries.

3. Inosine has anti-inflammatory and immunomodulating properties. You’ll remember that neuroinflammation is the hallmark of most neurodegenerative disorders.

4. Inosine reverses endothelial cell dysfunction. Endothelial cells line our blood vessels and regulate blood flow. Endothelial cell dysfunction is common in diabetics and people with heart disease and the metabolic syndrome.....

5. Because of it’s unique chemical structure, inosine possesses anti-arrhythmic (arrhythmia prevention) properties.....

6. Inosine readily enters both cardiac and skeletal muscle ramping up ATP production and increasing the transfer of oxygen from red blood cells to heart and skeletal muscle.

7. One recent study concluded that: “inosine should be considered as a potential preventative therapy in humans susceptible to developing Type 1 diabetes....

8. In another study, inosine prevented the onset of colitis...

9. When mice were exposed to gamma radiation, inosine prevented oxidative damage to their DNA and dramatically decreased free-radical production.

10. Inosine protects against multiple environmental toxins...

†The Michael J. Fox Foundation announced a $5.6-million award to drive a Phase 2 clinical trial to investigate the potential of inosine — a naturally occurring chemical that gives rise to urate in the body — to slow or stop the progression of Parkinson’s disease.

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

Email this • Sphere: Related Content • Add to del.icio.us • Digg This! • Share
Sasha is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Picksey (06-21-2008), smithclayriley (06-18-2008)
Old 06-17-2008, 11:01 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks, Olsen and Sasha. I think inosine could be really big! Too bad we may have to wait a couple of years for the results of testing for neuroprotection.
RLSmi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 07:47 AM #4
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Arrow nutrition can change your DNA for better or worse!

In this lecture, Dr. Russell Blaylock, neurosurgeon

explains one of the most important conne...ctions between nutrition and our health- how nutrition affects our behavior. Citing a series of important studies, he shows that good nutrition can powerfully enhance our memory, mood, and behavior in a socially desirable way. Like wise he shows us that poor nutrition can lead our youth into a world of violence, crime, depression and suicide. By using an impressive array of studies on both juvenile and adult prisoners, Dr. Blaylock demonstrates these principals and outlines specific measures you can take to protect your children from these detrimental effects. Most importantly, he shows us that it is never too late to make these nutritional changes.
You can order this DVD at

www.atavistik.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W-gba0GPwU

by
, on Flickr
pd documentary - part 2 and 3

Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and the wrong. Sometime in your life you will have been all of these.
lou_lou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 09:32 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Good morning,

I tried ordering Inosine but ended up getting CF IP-6 & Inositol. I have no idea what the difference is but I have this feeling in all likelihood it is not the same thing. Foiled again!
Old 06-18-2008, 10:24 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default supplement

perhaps writing to the author of the web site would give an answer to where inosine could be purchased. I also googled "purchase Inosine" and received several web sites, including "source natural" and "Life Extension" which both have the product. good luck--just wonder if increasing "urate" increases the strain on kidneys? Were I to use this, I would make certain my renal function is normal before embarking on the therapy. madelyn

~ Jean-Martin Charcot

The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed. William Gibson

Last edited by olsen; 06-18-2008 at 10:39 AM.
olsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 05:43 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Blood-brain Barrier and Exercise

I've found this interesting - my neurologist (Parkinson's center director at med school) originally told me that there was nothing that would "slow, stop, or reverse" the course of Parkinson's. Now he's talking about neuroplasticity and telling me to exercise 30 minutes a day - no promises, but research "suggestive" - and exercise generally good, etc. I'm up to 10 slow minutes. So much sedentary living has taken its toll!
Sasha is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:16 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I got a book called (I think) 'The Brain That Changes Itself' It's packed away in some box so I don't have it handy. It is all about the plasticity of our brain. This is what gave me the hope I was looking for.

Bonnie
Sasha (06-19-2008)
Old 06-18-2008, 09:43 PM #9
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Thumbs up the NEVER word -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
I've found this interesting - my neurologist (Parkinson's center director at med school) originally told me that there was nothing that would "slow, stop, or reverse" the course of Parkinson's. Now he's talking about neuroplasticity and telling me to exercise 30 minutes a day - no promises, but research "suggestive" - and exercise generally good, etc. I'm up to 10 slow minutes. So much sedentary living has taken its toll!
dear Sasha,
the minute I hear the "Never" word - I think oh oh -soon they will be eating crow -
my favorite retort is = never say never!

by
, on Flickr
pd documentary - part 2 and 3

Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and the wrong. Sometime in your life you will have been all of these.
lou_lou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Sasha (06-19-2008)
Old 06-18-2008, 09:57 PM #10
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Ten years ago, the brain was unable to heal

...at least according to the conventional wisdom. Even now, the neuro on the street still thinks the way he was taught.

But WE know that it can heal and that there are things that help and things that hinder. Exercise and caloric restriction definitely help and stress definitely henders. And there are a dozen others lining up.

Always keep in mind, sometimes you really do know more than your doctor.
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Sasha (06-19-2008)