advertisement

Old 06-21-2008, 06:25 PM #1
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member
Default Those of you who no longer drive...

Just wondering. Those of you who are no longer able to drive, how do you get where you want/need to go? Does a family member drive you? If so, does he/she live with you?

Do you take public transportation? Do friends or service groups give you rides?

Did you have to move when you became unable to drive?

Driving is not a problem for me, but it's always that little black cloud hovering on the horizon. I usually keep my back turned, but it's always there.

**My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. (Psalm 73:26)
Blessings2You is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 06-21-2008, 06:34 PM #2
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

During my last flare I was not able to drive as well as the fact that they thought I was having seizures. I have to say it was very difficult and I felt like a hermit. I had to rely on my girls, parents, and DBF to take me where I needed to go. It was really hard on me.

I am hopeful that I am being proactive enough to avoid ever having this happen. I do not like to be dependent. It gives me more reason to put up a good fight.
tkrik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 06:46 PM #3
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

My mom is going through this right now. She said it is the hardest part of her illness. Even the brain surgery can't compare to having to ask people to take you somewhere she said. Even though everyone wants to help, she hates asking.

I hope it never happens to you or anyone. I am Jim's driver but he can still drive if he chooses to. Right now he just drives on occasion and if an emergency happens.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:16 PM #4
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Right now I don't drive because of my right hand/arm and vision issues. I have driven to the drugstore which is just right around the corner - I don't have to get out on any main roads - but other than that I don't drive. I've even started making lists and sending the boys to the grocery store for me. Big time grocery shopping requires one of them to go with me. I go for days at a time without going anywhere. I do go outside - onto my back porch - but other than that I'm pretty much stuck here at home.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:51 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I can still drive but it is difficult and scary at times. I never know when my vision will go blurry and my depth perception is usally bad. There's enough to deal with in Houston traffic that will make a person crazy, I don't need to add to it! lol

Most of the time I will just stay around the area and have learned some of the short cuts through subdivisions etc...usually though the only time I'm in a car is if dh or someone else is driving.

I miss it, being able to open the sun roof, cranked the radio and just go without worrying if I'll remember how to get back home! (Plus I don't feel as safe being by myself as I used to.)

Dx'd RRMS July 2007

suzyqz_2007 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:53 PM #6
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

My husband is my chauffer. I havent really driven anywhere in a year. I sold my car and got a hunk of junk.

I think I am ready to get back out there. I am getting the itch.

Neighbors are always asking if they can get me something or take me somewhere. I am very blessed.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 08:06 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Dear B2Y,

This is a scary thought always hiding in a rain cloud overhead. And it can be a reality without warning. I'm not driving this week, as I'm in an exaserbation and having trouble with overall leg and arm control. My dhubby drives, but I've been hiding at home so I don't have to try to walk in front of people. I'm going to think positive that this will pass. But I know in reality, there may be a time when it might not pass. I don't know what I would do without my dh. B ut, it's still a feeling of lost independence, not being able to just to jump in the car and run to the store myself. I HATE IT!

But, just try to stay positive. I have blessings everyday to be thankful for.

Thanks for yor post. It's nice to have people to talk to about things on our minds!

HANG IN THERE!

If I had to sum up FRIENDSHIP in one word, it would be COMFORT. ~Adabella Radici

MS/dx2006
BETASERON (Quit May 2011)
COPAXONE (Began June 2011)
Friend2U is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:20 PM #8
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

In 2006, I chose not to renew my DL.. I hated like he!! to do it, but I really hadn't done much driving since DH died in 2004, anyway.

I still have my minivan w/scooter and will travel...LOL, but DD or DSS or DSIL take me to where have to go. I have no pleasure trips anymore. I'm the only one who has the time for that..

Like you all, I just loved to jump into my car and take off on a whim.. You guys are in your 30s, 40, and 50s and having trouble driving, so I'm lucky, I guess, that I could still drive, into my 60s.

I'm in the position, as so many of you, and hate to ask anyone to take me anywhere, although many offer. Sometimes I hate my life, but most of the time, am content to be a hermit.

I hope it's a long time before you all have to give up driving. It's that last shot of independence, we just don't want to give up.....but, sometimes, we owe it to the other drivers on the road, to quit, while we're ahead..

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

~If The World Didn't Suck, We Would All Fall Off~
SallyC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (06-23-2008), Jappy (06-22-2008), MSacorn (06-21-2008)
Old 06-22-2008, 09:30 AM #9
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

When the ON hit me, I still drove. I found out very soon that closing my eye or putting on an eye patch stopped the vertigo and dizziness cold. I did have depth perception issues, but worked my way through them, and adjusted my way of driving ( slower, more careful, look twice, take side roads, etc)

I may be in a little different driving situation than most of you. I can drive 25 miles to work and not see another vehicle. It's VERY quiet here most of the year. The summer gets busy, but for the most part, no traffic at all.

I DO have a backup driver if need be. My fiance does drive, but not very well! He scares the heck out of me! More often than not, I drive when we go somewhere.

If and when it comes down to it, I won't drive, but I don't even want to think of that happening. I have become more of a homebody in the past few years, but when I want to go, I want to be able to go without any hassle!!

I have this mental picture in my mind of you all, shaking bones and bells and charms, muttering prayers and voodoo curses, dancing around in a circle of salt, with leetle glasses and tiny bottles of cheer in the middle...myyyyyy friends!

diagnosed 09/03/2004
scheduled to start Tysabri 03/05
Tysabri withdrawn from market 02/28/05
Copaxone 05/05-12/06
Tysabri returned to market 06/05/06
Found a new neuro 04/07
Tysabri 05/25/07-present
Medical Marijuana legally 12/03/09

Negative for JC virus antibodies!

I'm doing alright and making good grades,
The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!
Riverwild is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Jappy (06-22-2008)
Old 06-22-2008, 09:59 AM #10
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I have always been a nervous passenger because I only trust my driving. Since the MS got bad, I am a VERY nervous passenger, and will drive most times to avoid that stress.

I don't go far any more, and if there is a need to get the kids to somewhere further then about 15 min away, I arrange transport with a friend. I tend to be the designated driver for all the more local travel though, so I pay those parents back when I have to do the midnight pick-ups and 6:00 am drop-offs. Good thing I can sleep any time I want, cause I am awake running them around at some pretty bizarre hours (team sports, etc.).

I have not been able to drive at times, especially when I am in a bad attack. To be honest, I am so oblivious to the world at that time, I don't know or care about whether things are getting done. Somehow it does though . . . apparently.

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
CayoKay (06-22-2008), Jappy (06-22-2008)