Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 06-30-2008, 09:45 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default versed for colonoscopy procedure

Has anyone had any problems undergoing colonoscopy procedure? was versed used? Did you take your meds prior to the procedure (ie sinemet or dopamine agonists?)thanks for any input, madelyn

~ Jean-Martin Charcot

The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed. William Gibson
olsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-01-2008, 12:10 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I do not take meds anymore but......

I'd rather imagine it would be easier to go thru it when "on". Especially if you are not under general anethesia. You should ask your doctor and/or your anesthesiologist if you are concerned about it.

Charlie
chasmo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:46 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I did my colonoscopy earlier this year. I had no problem with the procedure. Versed I assume is the stuff used to clean you out. Other than tasting worse than garbage, I didn't have any problems. I made sure they knew that I had PD and needed to take my medication to even get there. That was not problem but they told me to only drink enough water to get the pills down. Again no problems. If you have a sensitive stomach you may have trouble because there is nothing in your stomach. Good Luck, and it isn't as bad as it sounds.

GregD
Old 07-01-2008, 07:43 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I stayed on my regular med regimen, and the procedure was a piece of cake..However, the fasting the day before weakened me considerably
Old 07-01-2008, 11:22 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Versed is actually what we call the "happy drug" because it makes most people loopy, silly, giggly, and has the added bonus of essentially making you forget the procedure you just went through. Most of the children's hospitals I worked in used it for procedures like spinal taps, bone marrow biopsies, etc. on our kids with great success. Made the procedures easier for everyone. It's really a very effective drug.

That being said, you will need someone to drive you home following the procedure because you'll be a little (or possibly a lot!) goofy and unstable.

As far as PD meds, I would think you'd want to be "on" for a procedure like this, especially considering that the versed can make you very unstable, so that your symptoms will be under better control. Just give the staff a call and they should be able to tell you.

Personally, I think the worst part is swallowing the pre-procedure liquid that cleans you out. I have a sensitive stomach and that stuff just tastes nasty! Good luck!

Todd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 11:53 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default versed

Thank you all for responding. I am always reluctant to have a drug used that impacts the Central Nervous System such as anesthetics do. I know versed is a GABA -A receptor inhibitor, and as such reduces the effects of GABA-A-- an inhibitory neurotransmitter. without GABA, neurons fire too often and easily. (theorized to be a deficit of GABA in PD patients) Since it is short acting, whatever effects should be gone quickly, though it helps to know others have had the drug administered without problems.
As my husband often reminds me, if I am not overcerebrating, I am perseverating. Should be my signature....madelyn

~ Jean-Martin Charcot

The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed. William Gibson
olsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote