Pets & Wildlife For discussion of the pets in our lives, and the wildlife we come across.

advertisement

Old 07-05-2008, 12:03 PM #1
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Shocked My Cat Gracie and Dental Work

I had to take Gracie to the vet on Thursday because I thought she had ear mites. She's an indoor only cat so I wondered how she would have gotten them. She kept shaking her head and scratching her ears.

Turns out Gracie has "dental issues". Her back teeth are in bad shape and the vet says they need to come out. This is causing her head shaking and ear scratching. There are no mites.

We got her rabies vaccine while we were there and they even gave her a complimentary pedicure (clipped her nails!!
). She weighs 18 pounds - she's a BIG girl!

I left with an estimate of $459 for the dental work.

I'll have to get the work done because an infected tooth can get into her bloodstream and cause heart problems. I was just not expecting this financial issue but I will figure it out because she's one of our family.

Just wondering if anyone here has had dental issues with their cat.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-05-2008, 01:44 PM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb Tippy has a swollen gum on one side...

but the teeth themselves are sturdy.

When she was younger she had them cleaned...but I looked this up and it appears that this periodontal thing is not really treatable.

My vet gave me Clavamox (to use for 10 days)--this is the same as Augmentin for humans... We used it once 4 yrs ago when she had her last cleaning.

Now that she is 15, the vet doesn't want to use anesthetic.
She had no tartar. Just the erosion of the enamel.

We think Tippy's problem is genetic. I have never had a cat with this before.

You could ask if trying the Clavamox would be an option.
Tippy's teeth are not loose, however, but if your cat's are
then pulling might be necessary. Vets charge a FORTUNE these days! And as the cat ages, they can die from the anesthetic! So far our vet has not suggested pulling the teeth.

From now on we have to warm her food. She is too sensitive for things out of the frig. Also she seems to want oily stuff.
So I fooled her and ground the Clavamox into some tuna with canola oil, and she snarfed it right down. I didn't want to touch her mouth and perhaps make her jaw there hurt more, trying to pill her.

She does eat kibble, but refuses hard treats. I've always given her soft ones. All 3 of our cats eat the same stuff, so I don't know why Tippy has this issue?

One sign of pain also is watering eyes.

Weezie looking at petunias 8.25.2017

These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
mrsD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (07-05-2008)
Old 07-08-2008, 11:48 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I'm a vet. tech. I guess it depends on the vet you go to and the work that needs to be done, but $459 for the dental work seems a bit high to me. Did the vet say what exactly needs to be done?

Erin
ErinB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (07-10-2008)
Old 07-08-2008, 01:07 PM #4
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi there! So sorry to here about Gracie and I think that sounds awfully high too! Veterinarian care is really getting up there in prices, more so in some offices.

I have a Gracie too! She's my youngun.

Bruna - rescued from a Missouri puppy mill
Doody is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (07-10-2008)
Old 07-08-2008, 03:16 PM #5
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Lightbulb Vet bills...Sheesh...

They are getting soooo high.

Today we took Sheba for a checkup---she is 20 yrs old.
I worry about taking her on vacation, now, more than ever.

She seems okay to me, but does limp. So the Vet last Thurs said better to bring her in....

HEART murmur and too fast a beat! Without an Echo..and blood work (which we will do when we get back) the prognosis is still bad.

On a scale from 1-6 in severity of pathology, the vet's estimate is 4. She made me get some prednisolone incase the arthritis flares or Sheba gets a bee sting (those ground hornets etc)... to take with. $97 GAD...

We are to keep her calm... she travels pretty well, sleeps mostly-- I catnip all 3 of them.

But her teeth were okay.

Tippy is mad at me...giving those pills. She figured out the tuna trick, and now I have to pill her. I got scratched today doing it. Tippy is too old for anesthetic, so I hope this medication works. It is difficult pilling a cat with sore gums...how to hold her head, mouth, without bothering her. I bought a injector thingey, but haven't tried it yet. I am coating the pill with butter...she loves butter. But it is not helping much.

Tooth issues seem very complex. And I just have a feeling that this is a money maker for some vets. (as vaccine issues make people less likely to get them, another money making avenue must present itself?).

"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (07-08-2008)
Old 07-08-2008, 04:30 PM #6
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinB
I'm a vet. tech. I guess it depends on the vet you go to and the work that needs to be done, but $459 for the dental work seems a bit high to me. Did the vet say what exactly needs to be done?

Erin

Here's the breakdown:

Vet Scan Prep Profile/CBC $72.50
Pre-Med for Anesthesia $30.95
Extract Tooth-Premolar $35.50
Suture $30.10
Dental Anesthesia/IV & Gas $87.70
IV Catheter-Single Use $24.61
Ultrasonic Scale/Polish $40.99
Dental X-Ray $51.00
Oravet Application $17.40
Oravet Plaque Prevention Gel $22.40
Suture Materials $12.85
Meds to Go Home $30.00
Sales Tax $ 3.14
Total $459.14

Do any of these items look unnecessary to you? I tend to just take their word for it - but Gracie seems OK to me. They told me that if I ignore her teeth she could get an infection in her heart that could kill her.
I want to do what's best for her but $459 is a lot of money to me. I was just awarded LTD after 3 months of no income.

Thanks!

Kelly
Old 07-08-2008, 05:58 PM #7
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Question gee whizzz...

I don't know what to think anymore.

It used to be if you took your cat or dog in to have the ana[ glands squeezed...it was part of the vet exam bill.

Today...the vet cost was $47.00... for her to listen to the heart and tell me the dire news.

Then to squeeze the ana[ glands it was $27.00 extra.
The rest was the prednisolone tabs and the injector thingey to give the pills =$97.00

My own internist only charges $70.00 for an office visit, with no tests...with no insurance.

This same place did not charge me for the extra monitoring for the vaccine reaction last week. I only had to pay $13.00 for the steroid shot. (it was $110.00 for 2 cats, two rabies vaccines and one Benadryl shot + the vet exam charge.)

I certainly don't understand it at all. I can't say what you should do for your cat's teeth. Perhaps get another opinion?

"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (07-09-2008)
Old 07-08-2008, 06:57 PM #8
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Wow Kell~ That's a little extreme. I have doxie (dogs) and my older gal had to have two teeth pulled when she had her cleaning and even w/anesthesia ; the bill was around $120. The lil one just had her teeth cleaned, rabies booster and heartworm pills for $134. Sounds like you might be getting the business.

I do agree w/getting bad teeth extracted tho, as just like people, they can get infection. I tried the Oravet gel on my dogs and didn't see a diff at all.

I would think about another opinion if I were you. *estimate from another vet*

PS: the Vet showed me how to do the "behind" glands myself and w/a pair of surgical gloves, it's a piece of cake. Don't laugh, it's easy and worth the $$$$ saved.

DM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (07-09-2008)
Old 07-09-2008, 05:37 AM #9
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Thanks.....I'm thinking that this vet just sees $$$ signs when I walk in!!
That's funny 'cause I don't have $$$...

They are in a more "affluent" part of town but they're good and their offices are clean and I buy my prescription cat food there. Sounds funny but I would do without before I let either one of my cats suffer. That's my problem.....I tend to just believe what I'm told when it comes to Gracie and Tigger. But I think I will investigate different vets and what they charge. Surely they can look at a copy of the estimate and tell me what they'd charge without me having to haul Gracie in to see them....she is one difficult kitty to get into her carrier!!
Old 07-09-2008, 06:34 AM #10
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by herekitty1960
Thanks.....I'm thinking that this vet just sees $$$ signs when I walk in!!
That's funny 'cause I don't have $$$...

They are in a more "affluent" part of town but they're good and their offices are clean and I buy my prescription cat food there. Sounds funny but I would do without before I let either one of my cats suffer. That's my problem.....I tend to just believe what I'm told when it comes to Gracie and Tigger. But I think I will investigate different vets and what they charge. Surely they can look at a copy of the estimate and tell me what they'd charge without me having to haul Gracie in to see them....she is one difficult kitty to get into her carrier!!
One of my son's rescues is older. He rescued her from an Ohio group that was having a day in a Petco. She had a hole in her side from a hernia repair. They don't know what happened to her, but I think she was kicked, or hit by a car. She has been very sick ...but now seems stable. One vet bill was $800 and we had to pay that for him.
He has been to at least 5 different vets so far (I have lost count really). He lives in a college town, with affluence too.
(my vet is in an affluent area as well).
Her diagnoses have been confusing. One vet said she had terrible kidneys, had a ultrasound showing only one kidney and that was small and malformed. So they sold her a special food. Which he now believes made her sick. She became very ill over a night/weekend and he took her to an emergency place where they told him her kidneys were fine, but she had a bacterial hepatitis! So she got IV antibiotics and an $800 bill there. A third vet treated her for a cystitis, and gave him Elavil to give her, and she could not walk, or function. You should have seen her reaction to that drug..on Thanksgiving...I was there and told him NO MORE....
He has now found a vet in a small building who seems more with it than any of the other fancy schmancy ones! He took her off the special kidney food and she is much BETTER!

Just within our vets' large practice one new gal told me Tippy was hyperthyroid (we had a cat 20 yrs ago with thyroid cancer) so I did not believe it. This was with blood work.
I went back to our preferred vet there and she said "ridiculous"...even the blood work was normal, and no physical signs! That was 7 yrs ago.

Some vets out and out lie to make $$. I adopted Tippy from a cat only vet, who pushed vaccines. He said they only have 1 yr vaccines for Rabies and those are better! He also had a framed disclaimer on the wall about the "epidemic" of vaccination sarcoma at that practice. So I called around and NO VET would confirm a once a year Rabies. So maybe that vet used inferior vaccines and that is why my Tippy is now reacting? Needless to say I never went back to HIM.

Our current vet we have used for our other cats since 1970. (but they do dogs and everything else, and some days the dogs upset the cats in the waiting room) Hence we tried the "cat only" vet and finally left.
Our current is a really good place...accredited as well. But even within there, with 8 vets, the results are mixed. So I only go to one
woman whom we have had good experiences with.

And I admire DM's spunk for doing the ana[ glands... even I have my limits...I can't do it...

"Thanks for this!" says:
DM (07-09-2008), Kitty (07-10-2008)