Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 07-06-2008, 03:18 AM #1
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default It is 16 years since the 1976 Olympic gold medallist won 1500metres at the

This is the race of my life and the hardest part is knowing that
one day I’m certain to lose it

By Ian Stafford Last updated at 10:15 PM on 05th July 2008
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/oth...n-lose-it.html

The long blond hair is now short and as grey as his pallor but the man serving customers in a small equestrian shop in the Auckland suburb of Newmarket is still instantly recognisable as one of the greatest middle-distance runners of all time.

It is 16 years since John Walker, the 1976 Olympic gold medallist in the 1500metres at the Montreal Games, quit athletics, leaving behind him a glittering career that included Commonwealth medals, world records, more sub-four minute miles (135) than anyone in history, as well as intense rivalries with the likes of first Filbert Bayi and Mike Boit and then the great British triumvirate of Seb Coe, Steve Ovett and Steve Cram.

For the past 15 years, however, the Kiwi who was always a crowd favourite in Britain has faced a far stiffer challenge than anything his rivals posed on the track. Walker was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease at just 41 and has been confronting it ever since with a mix of his trademark bullishness and realism.
'This has been the greatest race of my life,' explains the 56-year-old. 'Why? Because it's the only race I know I can't win.'

READ article
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-07-2008, 04:04 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default it was a

twilight track meet at Jellicoe Park Manurewa Auckland NZ 31 years ago. This was the Home Town track of 1976 Olympic 1500 metre track champ and world mile record holder John Walker. I was a rather pathetic miler with a best time of 4minutes 8 secs. On this particular night JW was going to attempt to break the New Zealand mile record of 3minutes 53.4secs held by East German athlete Jurgin Mey who had set the National mark 12 years earlier in 1965 one year after running 4th behind Peter Snell, Joseph Odlezel and John Davies in the 64 Olympic 1500 metres final in Tokyo. The legendary New Zealander Peter Snell, arguably our best ever Olympian won both the 800 metres and 1500 metres at those Olympics.

Anyway 12 athletes lined up alongside John hoping to run personal bests on this warm balmy night in January 1977. We cruised through the first three laps in just over 61 seconds per lap, Walker, unbeknown by us or the 6 thousand home fans that came to see him run. had come down with a virus and should not have competed. In this weakened state, Walker had decided that a win was all he could hope for and thoughts of the record would have to wait for another time. Approaching the bell lap with 400 metres to run Walker burst from the back of the field into the lead with the roar of his home town fans urging him on. I had followed the world record holder and Olympic champion into a clear second place as we opened a sizeable gap on the rest of the athletes. We flew around the bend into the back straight with me chasing Walker hard. Then the Olympic champion falted and I thundered into the lead and opened a 10 metre lead. The stunned crowd sensing a shock upset of their world champion athlete roared in unisson to which Walker responded. The gap closed to within 5 metres with 200 mtrs to go. Around the final bend and into the home straight he caught me and with the crowd at fevor pitch Walker hit the finish tape going away. I ended up with a personal best time and the thought.....how many athletes around the world have gone past JW down the back straight on the final lap. nobody except yours truly.

GO HARD>>>>SCIENCE

Last edited by Howardh; 07-07-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Howardh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 06:54 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Great story Howard ...

just being on the same track as a legend, let alone (briefly) leading him is an experience to be remembered for life.

100 sub 4 minute miles, what an achievement.

Neil.
aftermathman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:14 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Carolyn

One tiny correction to your headline. John Walker retired from international running in 1990 18 years ago. He was 38 years old. He retired from all forms of running in 1992 at age 40. John was hoping to be the first 40 year old to break 4 minutes for the mile. Sadly he missed the mark. Thirty Eight years earlier (1954) the Englishman Roger Bannister became the first man to crack 4 minutes for the mile. John Walker became the first man to crack 3 minutes 50 secs for the mile. It was 32 years ago when he won the Olympic 1500metre FINAL in Montreal from Ivo Van Damn of Belgium and Eamon Coughlin of Ireland. The 16 years you talk about was indeed his final race. Shortly after he was dx with Parkinson's.

ith Parkinson's

GO HARD>>>>SCIENCE
Old 07-08-2008, 03:42 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hey Neil

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermathman View Post
just being on the same track as a legend, let alone (briefly) leading him is an experience to be remembered for life.

100 sub 4 minute miles, what an achievement.

Neil.
134 sub 4 minute miles to be exact. John had a stunning career as an athlete which spanned 25 years. Fast forward to 2008 and I think Walker is innacurate in terms of losing his last race too Parkinson's.....Walker's words......."I am in a race I cannot win"-----he obviously does not know there are 42 Parkinson's research programs currently burning the miidnight oil to advance the improvment, or cure for Parkinson's. Two of those research programs involves Neurologix www.neurologix.net
and Ceregene www.ceregene.com Both companies are developing seperate inititives in Gene Therapy. Neurologix are currently in phase two of their GT trail. In 2003 we all saw the research developing which has the FDA fast tracking their current research.

The initiatives currently developing exponentialy should produce fantastic results now and in the near future. Walkers comments opitimizes yesterdays thinking. The Michael J Fox organisation have teamed up with legendary business mover and shaker Andy Grove who took Intel to market leader in computer chip advances. He will bring that same attitude to science. The fact there has been no avances in treatments for Parkinsons in 40 years. Sinemet has been around since the 60s and the world has moved on. Expect huge developments now that Grove is involved. Gene Therapy treatments by 2010? Fingers crossed.

GO HARD>>>>SCIENCE

Last edited by Howardh; 07-08-2008 at 04:00 AM.