advertisement

Old 10-28-2006, 07:50 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Michael J. Fox Tells ABC He Can 'Take Some Hits'

http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/Polit...2611773&page=1
[following is an excerpt from the interview--}

Michael J. Fox Tells ABC He Can 'Take Some Hits'
Actor Tells ABC News' George Stephanopoulos He's 'a Big Boy' and Can Take Criticism of His Stem Cell Ad

Oct. 27, 2006 — This weekend actor Michael J. Fox talks with George Stephanopoulos on "This Week" to discuss his fight for embryonic stem-cell research and why he's campaigning for the Democrats in the upcoming election.

He also reacts to a suggestion by conservative radio personality Rush Limbaugh that Fox played up the effects of his Parkinson's disease in recent TV ads to gin up support for the Democrats.

George Stephanopoulos: Rush apologized — I guess he apologized — for saying you were acting. He didn't call you, did he?

Michael J. Fox: (laughs) I'm experienced enough and mature enough to take my licks.

But (inaudible) the community was really hurt by it. And it really brings up the specter of "Go ahead, shut the windows, shut the doors, close the curtains and suffer. And don't let us know." Because it's a fearful response.
And what the irony is, is those people who are being pitied or being asked to suffer in silence don't want to suffer, don't see themselves as pitiable, don't see themselves as victims — see themselves as citizens, participants in the process, and people with aspirations and hopes and dreams for the future. They are way more positive as a whole than what I've seen from the community that (inaudible).
olsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 10-28-2006, 09:54 PM #2
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

I just read this.....where's the hero smilee? .....that and a quote and I've said it without typing.... ..he is his hero too.....lol..... plwp talking now.

paula

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsen View Post
http://abcnews.go.com/ThisWeek/Polit...2611773&page=1
[following is an excerpt from the interview--}

Michael J. Fox Tells ABC He Can 'Take Some Hits'

Actor Tells ABC News' George Stephanopoulos He's 'a Big Boy' and Can Take Criticism of His Stem Cell Ad

Oct. 27, 2006 — This weekend actor Michael J. Fox talks with George Stephanopoulos on "This Week" to discuss his fight for embryonic stem-cell research and why he's campaigning for the Democrats in the upcoming election.

He also reacts to a suggestion by conservative radio personality Rush Limbaugh that Fox played up the effects of his Parkinson's disease in recent TV ads to gin up support for the Democrats.

George Stephanopoulos: Rush apologized — I guess he apologized — for saying you were acting. He didn't call you, did he?

Michael J. Fox: (laughs) I'm experienced enough and mature enough to take my licks.

But (inaudible) the community was really hurt by it. And it really brings up the specter of "Go ahead, shut the windows, shut the doors, close the curtains and suffer. And don't let us know." Because it's a fearful response.
And what the irony is, is those people who are being pitied or being asked to suffer in silence don't want to suffer, don't see themselves as pitiable, don't see themselves as victims — see themselves as citizens, participants in the process, and people with aspirations and hopes and dreams for the future. They are way more positive as a whole than what I've seen from the community that (inaudible).
reading again....what a nice thing to say, I sounded flippant before..he read that public reaction right IMHO.....p....z.z.z

Last edited by paula_w; 10-29-2006 at 12:49 AM.
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 03:28 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default mjf

i missed mjf on george, but i think a friend taped it.

don't know if folks know that the whole interview w/katie couric is on www.cbsnews.com - not just the part that was broadcast but much more than that. it was a terrific interview - he has a gift for making the complex simple.
boann is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 08:28 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Some nice photos of Michael here:

http://www.showbuzz.cbsnews.com/elem...y2128710.shtml

The interview with George was terrific. I was brought to tears when he spoke about how people try to hide their symptoms.

Mike is an amazing guy. I'm in awe of him.
ZucchiniFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote