advertisement

Old 07-09-2008, 05:33 AM #1
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default AC

I started back to classes yesterday. It was 90 degrees outside. There is no AC at work but I have a fan on my desk and there is usually a nice breeze blowing through so that is fine. AC is broke in my car, but I can deal with 4 / 55 (60) AC in that. (as of 4 windows down at 55 mph)

Well, I got into class and the AC was on - the first class I was fine but come my second class of the day about 1/2 hour into it. I started getting cold. My face started to hurt, then my arm and leg went numb and the pain started. When it started it only took about 20 minutes and my right side was a mess! I finally got up and slipped out of class. Went outside to warm up a little and then went to the book store and bought a hooded sweatshirt then went back to class.

The rest of the night I delt with the numbness, prickles, and sharp pain. It came on so quickly but took didn't go away quite so quick.

Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be NO courage unless you're scared.
yeahbut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-09-2008, 06:05 AM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

Wow Char....that sounds terrible! Have you had this type of thing happen before? I think I'd call the doctor so they can at least document it. I've never had that happen to me. I hope you're feeling better today.

One thought I had...going from no AC and warm to a room with AC and very cool could cause that reaction I'm thinking. Sometimes when I come inside from being outside and overheated the cool air seems colder than it actually is - just 'cause I'm so warm. Does that make any sense?

I do hope you're feeling better today.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
yeahbut (07-09-2008)
Old 07-09-2008, 07:24 AM #3
Elder Member

15 yr Member
Elder Member

15 yr Member

hope you are feeling better this morn,

almost did that to myself here at home, it was so humid with windows open we closed up and i told kid to turn on air well he set it at 60, i was freezing my keister off lol, hopefully it wont be that bad next time

History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme.............................Mark Twain

weegot5kiz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
yeahbut (07-09-2008)
Old 07-09-2008, 08:09 AM #4
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Hey Char~ I always carry a sweatshirt in my car yr round. I can't stand to be cold while in a store or restaurant, etc. While I was in NC, the AC in a restaurant was so cold, I had to step outside into the HEAT. Then, when I went back inside, my body was so confused, that I just shook. I didn't have pain or numbness like you though.

I'm sorry you have had such a rough time of it lately. But, those college sweatshirts are usually cool, so you are now a preppy!! take care of yourself and keep that sweatshirt in the car.

DM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
yeahbut (07-09-2008)
Old 07-09-2008, 10:53 AM #5
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Wow! You sound like a pickle. Did you turn green? I like pickles.

Anyways...call the Dr. asap or now and take the sweatshirt to class with you. Tie it around your waist. You now need a matching t-shirt.

(she will look very cute and kewl!)

Taffy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
yeahbut (07-09-2008)
Old 07-09-2008, 05:14 PM #6
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Hugs to you Char!

I like the a/c (55-60) thing! I have the same system in my car!

It's hard to figure out WHAT to wear and bring these days! We went from cool to unbearable. I heard it's supposed to break tomorrow. I am praying!

I have this mental picture in my mind of you all, shaking bones and bells and charms, muttering prayers and voodoo curses, dancing around in a circle of salt, with leetle glasses and tiny bottles of cheer in the middle...myyyyyy friends!

diagnosed 09/03/2004
scheduled to start Tysabri 03/05
Tysabri withdrawn from market 02/28/05
Copaxone 05/05-12/06
Tysabri returned to market 06/05/06
Found a new neuro 04/07
Tysabri 05/25/07-present
Medical Marijuana legally 12/03/09

Negative for JC virus antibodies!

I'm doing alright and making good grades,
The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades!
Riverwild is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
yeahbut (07-09-2008)
Old 07-09-2008, 06:39 PM #7
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwild View Post
It's hard to figure out WHAT to wear and bring these days! We went from cool to unbearable. I heard it's supposed to break tomorrow. I am praying!
me too!!!

I have the shirt in my car ready to travel where I go!!

Preppy..... far from that I hope!!

Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be NO courage unless you're scared.
yeahbut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 06:46 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

MS does strange things to our senses. I must have a/c now and too we run a fan pushing the cool air from one room to the next. I cannot have the fan blowing on me for it makes my joints ache.

As well, too cold a room makes my joints hurt as does winter's cold air hitting my pants affecting my hips, knees and ankles. A minutes sun makes my skin burn now. Hang in there!
0357 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
yeahbut (07-10-2008)
Old 07-09-2008, 08:52 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default heat temperature-sensitivity

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ity/index.aspx

Many people with MS experience a temporary worsening of their symptoms when the weather is very hot or humid or they run a fever, sunbathe, get overheated from exercise, or take very hot showers or baths. For example, some people notice that their vision becomes blurred when they get overheated—a phenomenon known as Uhthoff's sign. These temporary changes can result from even a very slight elevation in core body temperature (one-quarter to one-half of a degree) because an elevated temperature further impairs the ability of a demyelinated nerve to conduct electrical impulses.
The ‘Hot Bath’ Test Used for Years to Diagnose MS

For many years, the “Hot Bath” test was used to diagnose MS. A person suspected of having MS was immersed in a hot tub of water, and the appearance of neurologic symptoms or their worsening was taken as evidence that the person had MS.
Heat-Related Symptoms are Temporary

It is important to remember that heat generally produces only temporary worsening of symptoms and does not cause more disease activity (demyelination or damage to the nerves themselves). The symptoms are generally rapidly reversed when the source of increased temperature is removed. People with MS who are planning to move to a very warm climate should try to visit first; plans may have to be changed if the weather seriously worsens MS symptoms.
Strategies for Easing the Effects of Heat

* Stay in an air-conditioned environment during periods of extreme heat and humidity. [If an air conditioner is needed to help minimize the symptoms of MS, the cost of this equipment may be tax deductible if the physician has written a prescription for it.]
* Use cooling products (vests, neck wraps, bandanas, etc.) during exercise or outdoor activity, or pre- and post-cool.
* Wear lightweight, loose, “breathe-able” clothing.
* Icy drinks such as “slurpees” or popsicles can provide temporary relief.
* Use an oscillating fan during indoor exercise.
* Exercise in a cool pool (<85 degrees).

Cold Can Also Be a Problem

Some people with MS notice that symptoms, particularly spasticity, become worse in cold weather. It is generally recommended that people with MS who are sensitive to temperature try to avoid extremes of either hot or cold, and that people who are considering a move to a "better" climate try to visit first to see if the climate change is, indeed, beneficial.
0357 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
yeahbut (07-10-2008)