advertisement

Old 07-15-2008, 07:08 AM #1
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Thumbs up PAN Urges Congress to Override President's Medicare Veto

PAN Urges Congress to Override President's Medicare Veto

Even if you are NOT a PAN coordinator, you can cel your legislator anyway!!

State and Congressional Coordinators,

Source: My Email Inbox

Friday, PAN released a statement regarding the President’s veto threat of the Medicare bill, H.R. 6331. Pasted below you can read PAN’s statement and an excerpt from Senator Stabenow’s floor statement on the bill, which illuminates the relevance of this issue for people with Parkinson’s disease. To read PAN’s letter of support for H.R. 6331, please click here.

Excerpt from Senator Stabenow’s floor statement on H.R. 6331, the Medicare Improvement for Patients and Providers Act:

We need to act now. We are past time to act on this issue because, in fact, there are consequences already.

I received a letter this week and I wish to read it. I received a letter recently from a constituent named Kaye about her father. Her father needs his physical therapy as part of his treatment for Parkinson's. I know what that is like. My grandmother died of Parkinson's. It is a very tough disease. He lives at home confined to a wheelchair most of the time due to Parkinson's. Despite rising gas prices, Kaye and her sister drive her father three times a week--about 80 miles round trip--for his therapy. But last week, they were informed that Medicare would not pay for his therapy because the Medicare exemption process for physical therapy had expired.

We only need one more vote. If we had one more vote, Kay would not be worried about whether her father with Parkinson's can get the physical therapy he needs.

Kaye wrote me: “I will go down swinging to help my dad. Can you go back in and fight for us? We need these services extended. Please fight for us ..... go back onto the floor and reopen this and vote again.”

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________________________
PAN Urges Congress to Override Veto

PAN Urges Congress to Override President’s Medicare Veto
Critical care for people with PD at stake

WASHINGTON—The Parkinson's Action Network (PAN) is urging Members of Congress who voted in favor of H.R. 6331, the Medicare Improvement for Patients and Providers Act, to maintain their support and override President Bush’s veto. The bill is critical to the PD community because, unless this bill becomes law, many people with PD may not be able to afford critical physical therapy treatments.

On Thursday, the White House announced that the bill, which passed the House last month by a vote of 355-59 and passed 69-30 in the Senate Wednesday, will be vetoed by President Bush. Once the President officially vetoes the bill, it will be sent back to Congress where a 2/3 vote is required to override the veto. The margin by which the bill passed both chambers of Congress is sufficient to override the veto, but there is always the risk that some Members could switch their vote, putting passage of this bill in jeopardy.
  • PAN worked to include several key provisions in the bill that are critical to the PD community, including:
  • Granting an 18 month extension of the physical therapy caps exceptions process until December 31, 2009;
  • Delaying the Medicare Durable Medical Equipment, Prosthetics, Orthotics, and Supplies (DMEPOS) competitive bidding program;
  • Stopping a 10.6 percent cut to Medicare’s physician payment rates, and;
  • Extending and improving low-income assistance programs for Medicare beneficiaries living below or near the poverty level ($867 per month for an individual.)
“Congress did the right thing by overwhelmingly passing this bill that will ensure people with PD continue to get the critical treatments they need,” said PAN CEO, Amy Comstock Rick. “President Bush’s unfortunate decision to veto this bill will give Congress one more opportunity to show they understand just how important these treatments are to their constituents with PD and many others who rely on Medicare. The PD community knows that many Members of Congress will be pressured into changing their vote to uphold the President’s veto, but we urge them to stand strong and fight on behalf of every American who is depending on Medicare to help cover the cost of these necessary therapies.”

Jennifer Sheridan
Parkinson's Action Network
Program Manager
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement