Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 07-15-2008, 12:29 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Lightbulb Group home for PWP?

Hello All,

A friend of mine with PD , faced with selling her home and going into a care facility, is considering another option --- that of opening her home to other PWP. This is just in the thinking stages at this point, and because she is "manually challenged" I voluntered to put the idea out to forumites for feedback.

I'm not sure how it would work, though probably one would pay a basic rent to cover housing costs and then share in the costs of amenities such as cook, chauffer and any PD supports found to help - BPM chair, exercise and 'comfort' devices, etc.

I know from experience that living w/ other PWP can be a wonderful thing and it is worth the effort to iron out the wrinkles that present themselves in this kind of endeavor. Timing is a huge factor in determning whether or not something like this could fly...and actualizing it requires committment and skills...often beyond the abilities of PD'ers. Perhaps a couple, one w/PD and his/her caretaker, could make this happen?

Anyway, we'd like some feedback, so please respond and let's see if it's possible. I may not be able to field queries well myself, but I'll do my best. I personally think PD group homes should be created everywhere there are people w/ PD.

What do you think?

Ibby
Ibken is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-15-2008, 12:53 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Group home for pwp's

It's a wonderful idea.I've had the same thoughts with friends, recently. Where are you located? Leonore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibken View Post
Hello All,

A friend of mine with PD , faced with selling her home and going into a care facility, is considering another option --- that of opening her home to other PWP. This is just in the thinking stages at this point, and because she is "manually challenged" I voluntered to put the idea out to forumites for feedback.

I'm not sure how it would work, though probably one would pay a basic rent to cover housing costs and then share in the costs of amenities such as cook, chauffer and any PD supports found to help - BPM chair, exercise and 'comfort' devices, etc.

I know from experience that living w/ other PWP can be a wonderful thing and it is worth the effort to iron out the wrinkles that present themselves in this kind of endeavor. Timing is a huge factor in determning whether or not something like this could fly...and actualizing it requires committment and skills...often beyond the abilities of PD'ers. Perhaps a couple, one w/PD and his/her caretaker, could make this happen?

Anyway, we'd like some feedback, so please respond and let's see if it's possible. I may not be able to field queries well myself, but I'll do my best. I personally think PD group homes should be created everywhere there are people w/ PD.

What do you think?

Ibby
leonore is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 12:54 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Ibby -

This is an idea that has been mulled over and discussed with my PD friends for years. I think it has great potential; executing is the problem. There's an organization in Seattle that's fundraising for a PD-specific nursing home (wonderful group!), but they decided that those not yet in need of a lot of care would be left out of the initial phase.

Anyway, I really like the idea!

“Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their reputation and social standing, never can bring about a reform. Those who are really in earnest must be willing to be anything or nothing in the world’s estimation, and publicly and privately, in season and out, avow their sympathy with despised and persecuted ideas and their advocates, and bear the consequences.” — Susan B. Anthony
indigogo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 01:23 PM #4
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

I am among the friends that carey mentions. I am still independent, but don't eat right, [not fair that i'm at my thinnest but not healthily so] don't clean well, need help managing finances, etc. We had the same idea as you ibby, toss in some income, hire people to do the housework, driving and cooking. We could actually join an excercise class, or create one.

Location is the problem. People need to be near family too. Compromising is difficult but I'm open to hearing out proposals.

I tumbled down the hill in my sister's back yard a few days ago....not used to hills - i'm a Floridian. Darn near killed myself as i built up momentum and almost hit a tree. I'm walking around with very sore ribs. i need help - no doubt about it.

Assisted living facilities would leave me broke after paying med co payments and any remaining bills.

paula

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:01 PM #5
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Thumbs up very excellent resons to live w/ others

I agree - we can comfort others knowing how lovely it isnt having
the PDplauge...

and I have learned how others - may walk backwards if frontwards is not working so well - and all in all - it's a great idea -
putting pen to paper, and organizing this idea may be fruitful...

by
, on Flickr
pd documentary - part 2 and 3

Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and the wrong. Sometime in your life you will have been all of these.
lou_lou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:29 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibken View Post
Hello All,

What do you think?

Ibby
I am another friend of "Ibby" a PD person who now lives alone and would love to be part of a physical "community" of sorts that catered to PD persons or other Neurological disorders.
Unfortunately, I don't have the cash for a first class hotel for all of us otherwise Im all for it, how about some "parkie" investment or developement types out there, anybody with an old "Holiday Inn" your not doing anything with? How about an apartment complex and your tired of those loud unruly tenants, heres your answer!
Seems to me that such a place could come together if the entry terms were not to difficult!
Buzzz
BUZZZ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 08:52 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I've thought about this, too. Like a kibbutz for Parkies.
ZucchiniFlower is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:55 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Great idea...!

...but how to execute?

I would bring this to MJFF or APDA, PDF, NPF or one of these organizations. Of course, it would be a monumental (if not impossible) task for you to take on yourself. Only these organizations have the money, knowledge and power to put this in motion.

It's a great idea, a solution to a problem we have all worried about from time to time, and one that should be brought up with these PD org's.

Thanks for thinking so constructively on this one!
kk13 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 12:15 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hello and thanks to one and all for the positive responses. I think for the moment we'll keep this on the back burner and see what happens next. There's so clearly a need here. Meanwhile we can be open to the miraculous happening and clearing the way for the "Park View Place" to manifest and mushroom!

Ibby
Ibken is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 06:51 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

i am thinkin... hhhhmmmm....i have a 5 bedroom home now that i have been told i would not have any problem getting in a divorce settlement.. let me wake up more and get back into my mode.