advertisement

Old 07-17-2008, 06:10 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Palm pain/weakness

I'm steadily growing more concerned since I continue to get new sx despite being on a steroid pulse for the past three months, with three more to go. I started in May with the standard 3 day IV then one day a month for 6 months I get one IV treatment. I was finally feeling mostly improved, my memory is even better, and the 100 degree heat was barely causing a twitch.

My legs still bother me, and arms, and my right thumb tip went numb for about three weeks, but the feelings coming back now. This thing with my palms just about qualifies as its own flare. Tomorrow will be day three, and today is way worse than yesterday. It always hurts to hold the steering wheel, lift pans and dishes, but today I can barely hold the telephone receiver.

I see my neuro in two weeks. Do I wait it out and see what she says, or maybe try to move my appointment up? I'm already on steroids, so what can be done? I know the 'roids don't fix everything, but I'm certainly concerned about being able to function normally if I can't pick anything up without pain.

I'm still walking upright and six feet above ground.
Catch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-18-2008, 12:20 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

If the steroids do not do the trick, then maybe a change in your DMD may help.

Also, we both know that it has been hot and humid here in So Cal, so that may also be playing a role in the symptoms. Since we don't expect any nice weather for a while, you may want to discuss your issues with your neurologist with the temperature issue in the back of your mind.

-Vic
Victor H is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:58 AM #3
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

((((((((((((Catch))))))))))) Yes, call your Doc and see what he/he advises.

Feel better soon..

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

~If The World Didn't Suck, We Would All Fall Off~
SallyC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:34 AM #4
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

It might be a long-shot . . . but one of the potential side-effects of steroids is Avascular Necrosis:

"Avascular necrosis is death of bone tissue due to a lack of blood supply. This can lead to tiny breaks in the bone and the bone's eventual collapse.

..... Avascular necrosis of the wrist may cause wrist pain and finger weakness. You might feel less pain when you keep your hand still.

.... Common causes of avascular necrosis include ... Corticosteroids. It isn't clear how these anti-inflammatory medications, such as prednisone, cause avascular necrosis. People who take high doses of corticosteroids for long periods of time — for instance, people with chronic illnesses such as rheumatoid arthritis and lupus — are more likely to experience avascular necrosis."

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ava...crosis/DS00650

There have been people who've developed this after only ONE use of steroids, although this is rare.

Cherie

Last edited by lady_express_44; 07-18-2008 at 10:51 AM. Reason: added link
lady_express_44 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 10:56 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_express_44 View Post
It might be a long-shot . . . but one of the potential side-effects of steroids is Avascular Necrosis:

"Avascular necrosis is death of bone tissue due to a lack of blood supply. This can lead to tiny breaks in the bone and the bone's eventual collapse.

..... Avascular necrosis of the wrist may cause wrist pain and finger weakness. You might feel less pain when you keep your hand still.

.... Common causes of avascular necrosis include ... Corticosteroids."

Cherie

Ugh, that's sounds really icky. I'll definitely call my neuro and check out this link. Thanks for the info!

I'm still walking upright and six feet above ground.
Catch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote