Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 07-20-2008, 01:53 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Bought a new bike.

I decided to get a new bike yesterday after thinking about it for quite a long time. I used to be an avid biker, and would put in 30-plus miles every weekend. That ended when we moved to Haverhill because the riding conditions here aren't as nice. In the mean time, new combination road/trail bikes have come out because we have a lot of nice trails in the nearby Winikini Park. So yesterday, while out running an errand my brother and I had the opportunity to swing by the "Schwinn Shop" down the street.

I've dealt with these people for over 30 years so the owner knew me when I came in. There was no trade-in on my street bike so I'll need to find a home for it, but anyway for just under $400 I picked up a decent bike. I rode it around the parking lot, and my brother and I brought it home in his jeep.

In the afternoon, after reading through the manual, which I had to do because the controls are different on it than my old Voyegeur I have in the shed, I went out for short ride. I needed to pick-up a new water bottle because my old one became really unhealthy looking after 20 years of use, and we had thrown it away. This trip meant climbing over Golden Hill where I live. I had to use 1st gear out of my driveway (up to the road), then 1st gear all the way to the top. Once I got there, I had an easy coast down the rest of the way to the shop. On the way home, I took the flat route along the Merrimack River even though the trip was longer because it's easier than climbing up over Golden Hill again. In between, I stopped by Building 19 in the shopping plaza at a sidewalk vendor that was selling icecream and hotdogs and purchased a bottle of water.

Anyway, I noticed something. Besides being out of shape, and having my thigh muscles burn, other things happened that scared me. I expected sore thighs and shins, but this was different if not scary. First of all I couldn't lift myself out of the saddle to push into the pedals. My legs were too stiff to move. I would make it up partially then end up sitting down again because I couldn't make it all the way up.

The other thing, my arms kept shaking. I could barely steer the bike properly. I thought I was going to crash a few times because my arms were shaking so much. On top of that, my bicep muscles in both arms were really sore, and so was my shoulders. When I finally stopped at the bike shop, I had quite a tremor in my right hand. When I left, I could barely climb back on the bike because I had difficulties lifting my right leg over the middle strut.

Now after my medication increase, I can get out of a chair easier so I figured that I could ride the bike like I used too, well this isn't the case so my riding will be more limited than it used to be, but the good news is I'll get some good exercise out of it as long as I don't do too much at once. I think if I keep at it, my muscles will hopefully loosen up again, and I'll be able to put in some more miles than I did yesterday so I can ride down to Plum Island and enjoy some time at the shore on a nice sunny but not too hot a day.

John
jcitron is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-20-2008, 02:00 PM #2
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Congratulations and good for you!

I think as you continue to ride, those muscles will strengthen to help you be able to stand up and pedal.

I broke my ankle this spring and notice my legs are pretty wimpy now.

Happy bicycling, John!

I've lost my mind ... and I don't miss it!

LIFE HAS NO REMOTE -- GET UP AND CHANGE IT YOURSELF!
Twinkletoes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 03:34 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thank you for the encouragement. I look foraward to a nice riding spree once the cooler days come in.

John
jcitron is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Twinkletoes (07-20-2008)
Old 07-20-2008, 11:26 PM #4
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Thumbs up dear john -schwinn also has

stationary bikes for uses at gyms - and that is what I owned
but was divided from it - in my great divorce of 2000 -

I hope you enjoy it, although you need something to exercise and not lose
your electrolytes! so drink good water, and do not stress yourself out
in heat - we had 100 degree weather for the last few days,
the air is very humid - fish can breathe this air!

be careful...

by
, on Flickr
pd documentary - part 2 and 3

Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and the wrong. Sometime in your life you will have been all of these.
lou_lou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 11:52 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Boy, I can sure relate to this story. I bought a bike about a year ago. I was worried mostly about balance issues. I think that's why your whole body was shaky because your muscles were working hard to maintain your balance. Anyway, I went for a short ride around the neighborhood and everything felt pretty good. The next day I went for a 16 mile round trip ride, half of which was a steady climb up hill. I felt good when I got home, although obviously a bit fatigued. But I told myself, "Yeah, I still got it!"

The next day, I could barely move! Not only was my entire body stiff and sore, but the dystonia I get in my upper right shoulder and into the base of my neck was in full force as well. Ouch! What was I thinking?

Well, I thought because I have been an athlete my entire life that this would be no big deal. Boy, was I wrong. It was a great moment of "PD awareness" for me.

So ride every day if you can. Listen to your body, but push yourself a little when you're feeling good. Let your body rest and recover afterwards. Be sure you're hydrated well before even getting on the bike. And mostly just have fun. It's so great to just go for a ride and enjoy the weather and scenery while you're also getting a good workout. Be safe...

Todd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:00 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

these look like the hot tip for PWP's

http://www.terratrike.com/

I know of a PWP that rode his from San Francisco to Los Angeles!!

Charlie
chasmo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:16 PM #7
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member

these are a little pricey, i'll see if i can find some less expensive.

they are used to ride your bike inside. the back tire fits into this.

gives you the real riding feel and resistance. something that one of our club members uses when his pd doesn't allow him to get out and ride. also something to use to build up, so you don't over do it at first.

http://www.kurtkinetic.com/index.php

Curious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 01:50 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default recumbent tricycle

I ride mine every day - pricy - unfortunately - but no balance issues!!

http://www.pdplan4life.com/exer-trike.htm

This isn't the life I wished for, but it is the life I have. So I'm doing my best.
jeanb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:10 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs Up

John - I bought my new Schwinn in February, intending to ride it in the Seattle-to-Portland bike ride last week. I had a great time riding for the first few outings, but knew I could feel better, so I took it to my local bike shop for a fitting, and found out that it is actually too small for me (is 15"; I need 17"). I bought it off the floor at Target, so didn't know there was a size difference although the bike I bought was right for this purpose (a hybrid street bike).

That kind of took the wind out of my sails; I became fully beached when I injured my hand (nerve problem; lost complete control; is slowly returning to normal), and ended up selling my ride registration. Was glad to get my $90 back!

I've been feeling down about not accomplishing my goal this year, but was boosted by Bill Bell from NWPF and Team Parkinson's who rode in the ride last weekend and said he was glad I was not there - temp in the 90's, and lots of crashes because they let 1500 more people ride this year - a total of 9500!

So, I'm feeling better about it. I plan to trade my bike in to a Seattle shop that takes trades, and get a bigger size - then start all over again! Now I will have a year to train.

Bottom line - when I was riding I felt really good! A great form of exercise for me; less exertion than even walking, and there's always a great breeze in your face. Plus I live in a rural area with beautiful farms and water views, so I love to get out!

“Cautious, careful people, always casting about to preserve their reputation and social standing, never can bring about a reform. Those who are really in earnest must be willing to be anything or nothing in the world’s estimation, and publicly and privately, in season and out, avow their sympathy with despised and persecuted ideas and their advocates, and bear the consequences.” — Susan B. Anthony
indigogo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-21-2008, 02:47 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default John, my PD symptoms are always worse

during / after heavy exercise.

Stick at it, the symptoms will get easier and I am convinced exercise is a major benefit to us.

Neil.
aftermathman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote