Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 07-25-2008, 11:22 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default I'm going for a second sleep study on Sat.

I saw my primary care doctor on Monday for the follow-up after the sleep study I had in May. They noted a couple of things in the report, and therefore I have to repeat the ordeal again, but they now want to add in the CPAP thingy.

They noticed that I do have some mild PLMD, which I told them I knew about along witht the vivid and bizarre dreams. Heck I end up with blankets on the floor and the sheet wrapped around my feet or chinon most nights, or worse a punched lip or nose. If this is mild, I'd hate to see major!

The other thing they noticed is a drop in my oxygen level during my sleep to about 80% on three occasions during the sleep study, thus the need for the CPAP test.

What is interesting is the drop concided with a bout of severe dystonia in my left foot (where the toes like to curl inward), and I had some terrible stiffness starting in. So I'm wondering this is medication or a dose-related problem that needs adjument again.

John
jcitron is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Twinkletoes (07-25-2008)

advertisement
Old 07-25-2008, 12:02 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I've been on the CPAP thing for years (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure). I posted some time back that the lack of O2 just might have something to do with my dx of PD. Some studies indicate a correlation.

I asked about having a repeat CPAP because I thought a medication I stopped might have caused the problem originally, but the doctor said the tests were seldom repeated.

Talk about a money-making venture! Scads of people are using these CPAP machines. After a little training as to how to use it, most companies do the rest via the mail (new filters, hoses, etc.) If you are on Medicare, it takes care of most of the rent with allowances for "supplies". At some point and time, Medicare will stop "renting" the machine and ask if you want to continue renting (with free servicing) or "buy" the equipment. I made the mistake of continuing to rent it. The have milked Medicare for over $200 every quarter for years! I could have bought 3-4 machines! An example of wasteful government!
pegleg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 12:13 PM #3
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member

john, my husband has PLMD. not mild though. he has never punched HIS lip or nose. or kicked himself. he has been shocked at watching the videos i have made of him sleeping.

i'm the bruised one.

he isn't taking any rx. they never advised the CPAP. hmmm...might have to look into it. he doesn't have any apnea.

Curious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:32 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I had a feeling this was quite a scam, Peg. I seen way too many advertisements on TV and in magazines about it. Like the RLS thing - "Tell your doctor if you have trouble sleeping at night or staying awake during the day..." If the mask works, by all means use it, but I think they're still looking for more money by filling the coffers with more cash. I can foresee Medicare cutting the strings on this too with the extra cash that gets drained by them every month. I'm not on Medicare yet so I'm sure my private insurance plan would just "love" the extra pay out for this.

Curious - My cats are the only ones that suffer in my thrashing hours. I have a twin-sized bed and I sleep alone except for an occasional cat that dares to sleep with me. I think the word got out though because none have stayed when I turn off the light in recent months.

Anyway - I had the test last night and the technician doesn't think I need the CPAP. She put the unit on the lowest setting possible, and I had trouble breathing. There was too much air going into my lungs, and when my mouth opened up during my sleep, I nearly choked and gasped for air a couple of times. Later on when she turned up the pressure, my ears popped, and I choked so much I sat up in bed! During the worst part of the sleep, I had one of those darn dystonia cramps again. This time they caught my twistng and groaning because the toes decided to do the curling thing. I had to bring my foot up close and press hard on the bottom to work out the cramp. The cramp dissapted later, but the feeling is still there for another one.

Eventually she came in because I had developed a loose wire, and at that time I had her remove the mask. My face was sore from the darn thing, and I needed to scratch my nose and couldn't get to it. LOL. It was already 5:00, and I was to get up in another half hour.

Anyway, I'll hear the results some time in late September or early October for what it's worth.

John
jcitron is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote