Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 07-26-2008, 07:43 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Exploding head syndrome

I could hardly believe it myself, but came across it researching in another forum. I laughed so hard I thought I was going to bust something. Here's the actual question, and response...

"what would cause an explosion like in the brain?
Posted 08:09PM (EDT) on 2007-07-20 in Parkinson's disease by nola2

When you say "exploding", do you mean a loud sound that seems to happen in your head? Is it something your hear when falling asleep? Does this sound like what you are experiencing? Well, obviously you should make an appointment with your doctor to really explore this, but it could be...now don't get worried as the condition is believed to be harmless..."Exploding Head Syndrome".

"Although anxiety-provoking, exploding head syndrome is harmless. Attacks most commonly occur in the twilight stage as the individual is falling asleep - less commonly on awakening. People with this condition describe a terrifyingly loud noise - often described as a bang - that lasts only a moment and doesn't occur with headache or other pain.

Exploding head syndrome occurs most often in adults older than age 50. The cause isn't clear. But it may be due to a delay in the "switching off" of some of the brain-alerting pathways, which normally occurs as sleep begins. Attacks may occur only once or with varying frequency for weeks or months and then stop, sometimes permanently. Exploding head syndrome isn't an indication of a serious condition. However, if you're concerned about your symptoms, consult your doctor."

If this isn't the scariest sounding health condition name ever invented, I'd be curious to hear something worse ;-) --
0 Ratings & reviews
Sign in to rate Posted 09:24PM (EDT) on 2007-07-20 by earthling

Updated 09:58PM (EDT) on 2007-07-20 (view previous version)

Here's the link for copyright purposes: http://www.revolutionhealth.com/foru...-disease/98016

Now, one can see what fun can be had with this! Imagine, if you will, that you are in your doctor's office...

Patient: "Doctor, I've been experiencing some alarming new sensations lately, and I appreciate that your frown upon this, but I took it upon myself to do some research...seems like I might be suffering from Exploding Head Syndrome."

Doctor: "What the $#@! ....What?"

Another fun scenario: you get pulled over for speeding, running a red light, whatever. The officer approaches your car, and as you hand him your license, registration, and insurance paperwork...

You: "Afternoon, officer."

Officer: "Afternoon. Do you have any idea why I pulled you over today?"

You: "Why, no, I don't. You see, I suffer from Exploding Head Syndrome. Here is the laminated article I keep with me at all times to help those who don't understand it learn more. Would you like to read it?"

Officer: "Uh, uh, no thank you. You go on down the road and be careful..." as he flees back to the protection of his car.

I see all sorts of possibilities but have to get breakfast for my family. BTW, this is supposed to be FUNNY! Sorry if anyone who actually may suffer from Exploding Head Syndrome is offended.
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
lou_lou (07-26-2008)

advertisement
Old 07-26-2008, 08:55 AM #2
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Wink hello -yes it sounds aweful, yet

they really need to rename that one?
that would be like a stroke, or an extremely horrid headache
which - may feel like that...
although one might wish to call PD,
the "Frozen people disease" or "People who cant sit still disorder"
so who's actually naming things now? bigpharma?
perhaps by calling things terrible names it makes people feel like they should be ill?
-
calling a morning person - up with the birds affliction
or a night time person - hoot owls complex -

one going through a divorce could have several illnesses
a. I have a lawyer disorder
b. shattered life disorder/ or - one pound of flesh closest to the heart syndrome
c.He/She looks repulsive to me now complex...( I'm seeing someone else better looking -trashem syndrome)

So what's in a name?

the answer that comes to me --is Shakespeares answer:
A Rose by any other name -would still smell as sweet...

I know it isnt funny to those who have been told they have anything
I now only refer to it as a diagnoses/dxd, because many of these
names arent correctly dxd'd?

dont worry be happy!

must be dashing! I had too much tea for breakfast?

by
, on Flickr
pd documentary - part 2 and 3

Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and the wrong. Sometime in your life you will have been all of these.
lou_lou is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:27 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

it could be...now don't get worried as the condition is believed to be harmless..."Exploding Head Syndrome".

"Although anxiety-provoking, exploding head syndrome is harmless. Attacks most commonly occur in the twilight stage as the individual is falling asleep - less commonly on awakening. People with this condition describe a terrifyingly loud noise - often described as a bang - that lasts only a moment and doesn't occur with headache or other pain.

So that's what it is called - thank you lurking......... I have Exploding Head Syndrome. Love the name, and it really does not hurt at all, but the BANG is very VERY loud.
If I still drove a car it would be very handy to say, 'sorry I smashed into your fence, your car, your house - but I have exploding head syndrome, and it just exploded.
I am glad to have a name for it,
birte
BEMM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:14 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default say what????

I'll write a comment as soon as I can get up off the floor and stop laughing..... This could possibly be the stupidist thing I've ever read on this forum!
Old 07-27-2008, 07:19 AM #5
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default related?

Actually, I did know a pwp through email who said he had a loud noise in his head that wouldn't go away.....he was one of the GDNF participants from the UK.

paula

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:39 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula_w View Post
Actually, I did know a pwp through email who said he had a loud noise in his head that wouldn't go away.....he was one of the GDNF participants from the UK.

paula
Whatever it is called, I was not joking.

Now and then I do hear huge BANGS, usually just one, but sometimes several at the same time, inside my head when I am about to fall asleep. It is not a constant noise, it is exactly like a painless explosion inside my head. The name is funny, but it is only funny because it is painless and, hopefully, harmless.

birte
BEMM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 12:21 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I sometimes get a wierd sensation when ready to fall asleep. I wouldn't call it a loud bang though. It's more like an intense muscle spasm in my head then i fall asleep. The first thousand times it happened scared the hell out of me. Now it's just like someone turning off the switch.

I don't know if this is what they are talking about or not

GregD
Old 07-27-2008, 12:52 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

That is one of the funniest things I've ever heard of, sorry Birte if this bothers you, but no offense or hurt feelings towards anyone here.

I can see the latest advertisement on TV. The scene opens up with someone dozing off then jumping because of a synthesized noise. (This has to be dramatic.) They could use an animation with a cutsy character too like they use for Zoloft or one of the other antidepressents.

"Do you hear loud noises in the night?"
"Do you jump in your bed as you dose off to a good night's rest?"
"If you suffer from any of these symptoms, contact your doctor."
"You might need Defusionexplosa RXD CR 100mg."
"Your doctor will be able to prescribe this very terribly expensive drug because there's nothing like it yet ever in the world. There never will be because we're going to research other weird syndromes to use it for to keep the competitors from coming out with a generic."

"Side effects include: Rapid heart rate, larger explosions that make the eyes bulge, insomnia, drowsiness all the time, extra leg kicking, shotgun carrying, hiding under the bed, drooling, snorting, and covering the eyes with hands. Not all symptoms happen with everyone.

The severe side effects include: major stroke, heart attack, and death.
Should you develop nausea, vomiting profusely, or really twitchy skin and eyes, contact your doctor or emergency room immediately. This is a sign of a major explosion, and an infusion of cold water is necessary to stop it."

"Ask your doctor if Defusionexplosa RXD CR 100mg is right for you."

John
jcitron is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 02:49 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default the best part

The best part, for me at least, is that the name of this condition is so horrendous (everyone sums up their own visuals and definitions when they hear the name), yet apparently the condition itself is believed not terminal, serious, or even painful, but harmless!! What numnuck came up with this name, and how did it get approved? Perhaps as the decision-makers sat around in some medical university, designing curriculum and smoking cigars (or, perhaps, something else), they decided to throw in a little something to spice up the same-ole same-ole course choices...

So glad lots of folks are getting a chuckle out of this, it's absurd, the name. I love the post about the drug ad, I can really see that going somewhere, particularly as pharma advertisers are given such tremendous leeway as to when (all the time) and how often (ditto) they advertise. How about coming up with a little skit, and submitting it to Saturday Night Live or some similar show? With a 1-800 number at the end to call donations in for the MJFox Foundation!
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote