Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 07-26-2008, 10:32 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Weekly Check-In July 27-Aug 2, 2008

Hi Everyone..The 6 day heat wave that had the Northeast in its grips is finally gone..On Wednesday, we has some severe thunderstorms, that flooded the highways during rush hour, and grinded traffic to a snails pace..Some areas reported hail storms..I have satillite TV, and heavy rain usually knocks it out..My reception got knocked out a half and hour before the first raindrop fell..My freind John was our clamming when the storm hit, and he tried to beat the storm home, and when he finally turned the corner into the river, there was a tornado in front of his boat..Luckily he made it in safely..Im glad I wasnt with him on that day!!

On Tuesday, I went out to eat with a friend and her Mother, and her Aunt who has pd..She was dx around the same time as myself, and has never talked with another parkie about her experiences with the illness..So it was good for her, and good for me to sit down and have a talk, and offer some support..She lives in New Hampshire, and I sent some links for the APDA local chapter, with support group info in her area..She is also taking Exelon,and I googled it, and it is for mild Alzhiemers, and Parkinsons related dementia..Can someone give me some info on this drug, and the conditions that warrent its use?..Thanks in advance!!

I spent yesterday and today bringing my conch pots home..It beat me up pretty bad yesterday, but the fatigue wasnt as bad today..One more load to go..Hopefully, I can wrap it up tomorrow

How was your week?

advertisement
Old 07-27-2008, 01:39 AM #2
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Afloat with 4 grandchildren!!!

Tomorrow we drive 3 hours to the Norfolk Broads in the UK. This is a river network and very picturesque. There, we meet our two sons and their families, and take over a 50 foot boat. It has 5 double bedrooms, 3 showers and 2 WC's!
There will be 10 of us on board, 6 adults and 4 children, for a week.
I think I might have a few stories to tell on our return!!!!!!!!!
Ron
Old 07-27-2008, 10:51 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default off label use

many of these Alzheimers drugs are used off label. I know I was on Strattera for a while for fatigue and apathy. ( didn't help) So she should ask what condition she was prescibed it for.

Ron; thats something I always wanted to do!! Those boats are especially built to navigate the canals, correct??
Its amazing where you can go in the UK and all over Europe by canal. It sounds like a great trip!! you must take plenty of pics to share, and tell us of your route.
I think with those emergency locator beacons you can post a continually updated location on a map too!!

there I go, spending your money!!...LOL

CHarlie
chasmo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:29 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Well I start in on my second week of my boring Java class. I'm going crazy with the programming part because I haven't done this stuff in about 4 years! It's way too much for the brain cells, and with little sleep and a lot of full time work, this is wearing on me. If I can get through this class, I'll have no more programming classes to do. YAY! After this the classes get fun again, hopefully.

Last night I went for my sleep study with the CPAP. The tech doesn't seem to think I need it because I choked with the air blowing in my nose during the night. During the end of the test, she came in to fix a wire, and I had her remove it from my face. The pressure made my ears pop a couple of times, and the increased air pressure took my breath away. I can't even stand outside on a windy day because I lose my breath, and this was just like that.

During the day yesterday, I went for a 6-mile bike ride. I did it in about 3 hours. Part of the trip was on pavement and part of it was on a trail. The trail part required I get off and walk because it was too rocky and way too steep a climb for me. At one point I ended up in the lake because the trail was flooded due to the thunderstorms that Steve talked about. I ended up walking through about a foot of water. There were some cement blocks making a path, but with my poor balanced combined with me carrying my bike, I ended up falling of the bricks and walking in the water. Once on the other side, the trip was pretty easy and when I reached the ball field, I dumped the water out of my shoes.

Well it's been a too busy a weekend, and hopfully this next week will fly by and I'll get things back to normal.

John
jcitron is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:33 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Dear Ron

My first thought when I saw your post was be careful!
Sorry to sound like I'm nagging but it might get a bit rocky when a boat passes so make sure there's something solid to hang on to!
Please, as Charlie mentioned let us know what your holiday is like when you return.
My hubby and I are going to Europe in Sept. so would be interested to read of this way of travelling as we're thinking of trying it for part of our holiday.
Best wishes,
Lee
made it up is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:04 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmo View Post
many of these Alzheimers drugs are used off label. I know I was on Strattera for a while for fatigue and apathy. ( didn't help) So she should ask what condition she was prescibed it for.

CHarlie
The sad thing Charlie is, the Dr Rx's the drugs, and they couldnt tell me why they were Rx'ed..They weren't even sure it was for pd..The Dr says take "X" amount of these per day, and they dont question it..They just take them
Old 07-28-2008, 12:45 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hello everyone...

Going into our 3rd month straight of 90-100+ degree weather. I can deal with it since we don't have humidity but it sure saps the energy out of me really fast! Still, I love the fact that I can wear shorts, flip flops, and a tank top 90% of the year. I am lucky...

Saw my MDS and she wants to start adding more meds to my regimen. (Do these people get a commission or something?) I told her I have to give it some thought before I start swallowing even more pills. Ugh...

Looking forward to the YOPN in early August, then off to Hawaii to float in the private lagoons of our resort for a week. I sure love being in the water. Makes all my aches and pains simply disappear and I feel free...

Professor Randy Pausch died last Friday. He was famous for the "Last Lecture" which has been viewed on You Tube over 10 million times or something like that. There's also a book by the same title that is phenomenal. He was a simple guy with a simple message that touched millions of people's lives and I for one will miss him greatly. Rest in peace Randy and thanks...

Have a great week everyone...

Todd is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:59 PM #8
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem53 View Post
The sad thing Charlie is, the Dr Rx's the drugs, and they couldnt tell me why they were Rx'ed..They weren't even sure it was for pd..The Dr says take "X" amount of these per day, and they dont question it..They just take them

here is a good link:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...r/a602009.html

she may have had sx of early dementia or seemed forgetful or confused at a dr's visit. she should talk to him/her and ask whyt he rx. did she mention if it has helped in anyway?

many of the rx's for alzheimers have very good results with pd and also with tramatic brain injuries and concussions.

aricept has been rx'ed for years, with good results.

Curious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:34 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious View Post
here is a good link:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/d...r/a602009.html

she may have had sx of early dementia or seemed forgetful or confused at a dr's visit. she should talk to him/her and ask whyt he rx. did she mention if it has helped in anyway?

many of the rx's for alzheimers have very good results with pd and also with tramatic brain injuries and concussions.

aricept has been rx'ed for years, with good results.
Her husband handles her meds, and consequently, she couldnt tell me if it helped..Her husband showed me a list of all her meds, and he wasnt sure whether or not the Exelon was for pd..I felt like I was walking on eggshells asking him about it, because like I mentioned, the Dr says, take these, and he doesnt ask why..Just tells me.."The Dr says...."..I knew that I had never heard of Exelon, as a dopamine agonsist, or something along those lines..So you are right..She evidently has a dx on mild dementia
Old 07-28-2008, 06:21 PM #10
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member

it is rx'ed for pd.

what i was told is that is helps the brain to "remember" how to do certain functions. like walk if "frozen".

it can also help with people who get what the neuro explained as "brain fog", before or after regular med times.

i don't think this rx would something to be very concerned about, unless she has any of the reactions from it.

the most i have heard from some of these is nausea. i know the link does list more, but it doesn't give the % like the pamphlet that comes with the rx does.

Curious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
stevem53 (07-28-2008)