advertisement

Old 07-27-2008, 01:41 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default SUNBURN w/sunscreen and painful "nerve bites"

OK, I go to my gs's baseball game knowing I would be in the sun for a couple of hours, so I BUY Coppertone suncreen for babies (spf 50) as I forget mine. Believe me I always put sunscreen on and carry it with me.

Last night I look in the mirrow and to my surprise, I see how badly I have burned, and how swollen my face looks. (not sure it was, but the contrast made it look like it).

So how could I burn when I applied it AT the park?? I was only in the sun for less than 2 hours. Did I apply it too soon before getting into the sun? I didnt sit directly IN the sun for about 1/2 hour. I had hoped it would help some at least. Its as if I never put any on.

AND I keep feeling like I am getting bitten, but find out its like the ends of my nerves feel on fire (hence my "nerve bites") for a second, like a sudden BITE, only nothing is really biting me?!?

Anyone else?

Jan
Jan4you is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
KittyLady (04-23-2014), Mariel (04-12-2014)

advertisement
Old 07-27-2008, 02:10 PM #2
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Any chance you may be allergic to the chemical in the sunscreen? I can't have any that's over SPF 15, and even that is pushing it for me. Otherwise I get rashes and hives.

Which isn't cool since I have fair skin and family history of skin cancer, but I wear as high as I can go and limit time in the sun.

But that's just my experience, maybe someone else has another idea.

Hope you feel better soon.

Dx'd MS 2007, Fibro 2009
FinLady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mariel (04-12-2014), weegot5kiz (07-27-2008)
Old 07-27-2008, 02:25 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

NO, it doesn't seem like its an allergic reaction but good thought, thanks for responding.

the 2nd part is feeling as if needles are sticking into my nerve endings when in the sun or like I am getting "bitten" even while sleeping and its nerve pain.

Anyone??
Jan
Old 07-27-2008, 03:22 PM #4
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Follow the 12 links for "Sun sensitivity and Nerve symptoms" in this article:

http://symptoms.wrongdiagnosis.com/c...mptoms-all.htm

Might be a Lupus butterfly rash:

http://wrongdiagnosis.com/l/lupus/book-diseases-16a.htm

Cherie
Old 07-27-2008, 06:06 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Sorry to hear about the sunburn and the nerve bites! OUCH! Does any creams or gels work?

GladysD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 07:06 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

NO Gladys I do not have pain from the sunburn, just don't understand why I would get one with sunscreen.

And thanks Cherie, you are always so informative and helpful. I am just wondering if something IS going on as I keep getting mouth sores, in corner of my mouth, and my nutritionist found I lack Vit C and B I think. But I Have been taking the supplements, well..most of the time.

Just wondering what these painful nerve feelings that feel like bites. They HURT for a second or two, then itch. Kept feeling like I was getting biten by mosquitos.

Thanks again

Jan
Old 07-27-2008, 08:37 PM #7
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

It could be something interacting with your meds and sun sensitivity? Plus, the sunscreen has to be applied every hour even though it says it's spf 50. The bites you are feeling are from the sunburn most likely. When I burn, and I will if I did that, I get the stingy feeling. It's like someone is sticking a needle in and out real quick. For me, it's the burn.

Do you have some aloa in the house? That should help cool it down. If not, Noxema, but you'll peel more so with that. If you have nothing, try Ibuprofin as it acts as an anti-inflamatory. Hope you feel better soon!

Signed,
Past sunburn queen
tkrik (07-28-2008)
Old 07-27-2008, 09:02 PM #8
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

A symptom that PwLupus (and MS) can have is peripheral neuropathy

http://wrongdiagnosis.com/l/lupus/sy...m#symptom_list

"If a sensory nerve is damaged, you're likely to experience symptoms that may include:

Pain
Numbness
Tingling
Muscle weakness
Burning
Loss of feeling

These symptoms often begin gradually. You may have a tingling sensation or numbness that starts in your toes or the balls of your feet and spreads upward. Tingling might also begin in your hands and extend up your arms. In some cases your skin may become so sensitive that the slightest touch is agonizing. You may also have numbness, or even a complete lack of feeling, in your hands or feet.

At times your symptoms may be barely noticeable, and some people go years without realizing anything is wrong. For others, symptoms are constant, and especially at night may be almost unbearable. Signs and symptoms may include:

The sensation that you're wearing an invisible glove or sock
Burning pain
Sharp, jabbing or electric-like pain
Extreme sensitivity to touch, even light touch
Lack of coordination"

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00131.html

If that was a "butterfly rash", which does tend to occur in the sun for people with Lupus . . . and you are experiencing neuropathy . . . I'd be checking into that condition (if they haven't already).

PwLupus and PwMS have many similar symptoms.

Cherie
Old 07-27-2008, 10:06 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Gosh guys I wish YOU all were my docs!!! You're so agressive and concerned in helping me find answers!!!

But LUPUS has been ruled out and I didnt get a rash or anything from the sun. I am just surprised that I got a sunburn so red exactly where I put the sunscreen. My legs got nothing and my r foot got a little patch above the area where my strap was. I feel no pain, just slightly on my face.

BUT I have had these "nerve bite" feelings for some time thinking mosquitos were attacking me. How could they when I am sitting or in bed under the covers and they leave no bite mark? AND it itches for a few seconds too after it kinda stings for a second or two.

I have had buzzing, pain, electrical painful shocks in my legs for months and the MS neuro did not due an EMG. The neuro who did the EMG on my arms/hands said I have carpal tunnel with my left arm worse and that the MS doc should order the EMG of my legs.

He told me my left was worse than the right arm, but I have no problems with my left arm/hand.

My right arm has had deep pain about the size of a quarter for nearly ALL of last year.. It was so painful that my arm was weak. AND my sense of touch has been affected ever since. I can squeeze doc's hand but cannot tell how hard I push on buttons etc.
Oh well.. I'll live!!

Thanks Cherie and Sandy...

Jan
"Thanks for this!" says:
SandyC (07-28-2008), weegot5kiz (07-28-2008)
Old 07-28-2008, 10:12 AM #10
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

If it starts to ease up after the burn heals it was most likely the sunburn. Hope you feel better soon!