advertisement

Old 07-28-2008, 09:19 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Lower back pain? MS possiblity?

I figured I might have damaged my kidneys with too many meds, my lower back has been hurting so bad, but my lab work last week came up good for everything. That makes happy to be sure, but I can't figure out what's going on. It really, really aches. I'm limping around like an old(er) man and stretching, exercise, etc hasn't made it any better.

Anybody else have issues with the muscles in their lower back that can't be explained by anything other than the MS? I've also considered that it might be joint pain from the copaxone.

I've tried zanaflex and that doesn't seem to make any difference. I can take the vicidins and it's sufferable then, but I don't want to keep that up for long.
copaxone 3/08 - 11/08
relapse 5/08
relapse 10/08
rebif 2/09
Minocycline 6/09
Not a damn thing 7/09
"Where's my Uranium PU36 Explosive Space Immune System Modulator?"

KAOheim is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-28-2008, 10:10 PM #2
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Keith,

I had upper back pain for several months, on two occasions last year. The pain coincided with a flare up of my C-spine lesion(s), and was combined with other MS symptoms.

I was checked for everything under the sun, including osteoperosis. I went for MANY massages . . . to no avail. It wasn't until the pain went away, BOTH TIMES when the flares let up, that I was convinced it was related to the MS.

The location in the spinal cord that can affect the lower back is L-3. Have you ever had a T spine MRI (which would show a L spine lesion)? If it is not a lesion that is causing this, it may be that you are compensating for other muscle weakness, ie. foot, legs, etc., by straining the muscles in your lower back. This is common cause of many upper and lower back problems with MS actually.

If I were you, I'd check out physiotheraphy to see if they can see a structural, muscle, or gait issue that could be causing this. I would also consider massages by someone who is very experienced in treating MS patients (both physio and massuese should be).

My doc gave me some great exercises to tighten my tummy muscles when I was having lower back pain, and in that case it wasn't related to the MS. If you save this on your comp, you can print it so it is legible.

Cherie

Last edited by lady_express_44; 07-28-2008 at 10:53 PM. Reason: removed a reference
lady_express_44 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
tonyaocala (07-28-2008)
Old 07-29-2008, 07:27 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_express_44 View Post
Hi Keith,

Cherie
Thanks Cherie. I'll give them a shot. I have had a MRI of my neck and it came back clean though it was about a year ago. I don't think I've had an attack since my last one in May and that was ON. Mayo in Scottsdale is in my plans for October (can't go to Phoenix in the summer anymore...way toooo hot) so I'll get the once over there but that's a while to suffer.

If it doesn't get any better I guess it's another round of testing here. I'm getting awful sick of doctor's offices. Awful sick.

meeeh, what are you gonna do.
copaxone 3/08 - 11/08
relapse 5/08
relapse 10/08
rebif 2/09
Minocycline 6/09
Not a damn thing 7/09

Old 07-29-2008, 07:33 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

...i deal with that pain too....it hurts to sit..stand...walk and lay down....

basically everything hurts....all the time...no fun....hope you find relief

Winston Churchill
PJAMES is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:14 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have MS and only MS...that's where my back pain started. My neuro put me on 10mg Baclofen 3x daily and it made the world a difference. Stretching certainly helps but I do need the Baclofen too.

Later, I tried Zanaflex and instead of it making me tired it kept me awake for 3 days. Baclofen does not make me tired or weak in the least. Slowly over time my Baclofen dosage has been increased.

Take care.
0357 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:03 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I suffer miserably with mid and lower back pain!!!

Exercise and stretching doesn't help me. (I do have lesions in my spine).

Mine is muscle pain not joint pain.

I think alot of my pain is due to my gait. Hope you find something that calms it.

If ya do let me know. I'm working with my doc with medicine combinations. No luck so far.

Roadtrip Wannabe
Bannet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:20 AM #7
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Hi Kao, Lower back pain is usually caused by weak muscles that will then, spasm. I've lived with it all my adult life, but since I discovered the stretching legs out and then bringing knees up to chest and holding there for a minute....repeat a few times, I haven't had the the back spasms, in a long time.

I believe it's shown above, in Cherie's illustration. The back and hip strengthening exercises are also very good. I hope it works as well for you.

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

~If The World Didn't Suck, We Would All Fall Off~
SallyC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:23 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Those stretches really do make you feel better. It's not permanent but a little relief is better than none. Thanks all, feeling much better today. The knees to your chest one is the best.

I can relate to the "everything hurts all the time". Most of the last two years that's been the case. It's only when it hurts so bad it starts to incapacitate me that I complain anymore. I hate going to the doc. I don't wanna.

Thanks for letting me whine a little.
copaxone 3/08 - 11/08
relapse 5/08
relapse 10/08
rebif 2/09
Minocycline 6/09
Not a damn thing 7/09

"Thanks for this!" says:
SallyC (07-29-2008)
Old 07-30-2008, 09:04 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

hey i was there ....i quit the docs..........just recently i recanted my notion to quit......

if they can make me feel even worse.......i can't imagine anyone dealing with this who has sensitive feelings.........that said....i walked out on the same doc twice....not yelling...and not so low he did not hear me....i' told him where to put it....another...my wife stopped me from hitting him with my cane......

so i do understand your frustration....

my wife taught me this......this is if you use a cane of course......if you feel like whacking a dumb doc, your soooooooo angry....before you unleash your fury with the cane....drop it....so you can't and wont.......it works for me....plus it breaks up the moment.....of anger.....sometimes...

pete

Winston Churchill
PJAMES is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:54 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Link Pain in the back

I have lower back pain and siatica. The stretches are the only way I can get moving some days. There have been times when I froze right in my tracks from the nerve pain and fell to the ground trying to relieve the pressure. Or my muscles are so tight in my lower back that I wake up in the morning and can't bend down to pick up my shoes.

I've seen a chiropractor who told me that my gait was throwing my muscles out of whack....now the siatic nerve is pinched. He blamed the MS....said he sees a lot of this with his MS patients. Even a slightly bad gait can throw off the spine and surrounding muscles. He thought therapy was best. To look at me you would not know I have MS, but my gait is not quite right.

I'm going today to my GP to talk about therapy. I've been dealing with the pain since early last fall. I hate the thought of having to go to therapy, but I hate the pain even more.

If you obsess about things that may happen and they don't come true...then you've wasted your time. If it does come true....then you've lived it twice.
karilann is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote