advertisement

Old 07-29-2008, 08:09 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Yesterday was disastrous!

I know that everybody, with or without MS, has days when they feel just a bit “off” with instances of extra forgetfulness or perhaps clumsiness. And, of course, having MS means that I have to deal with cognitive lapses and all sorts of other inconveniences that go along with this disease. But yesterday was way over the top! I don’t have an actual “job” any more, but I am starting my own home-based business. Yesterday I had an afternoon meeting. I got totally lost getting there, even though I am fairly familiar with that part of town. During the meeting, I was having trouble following the conversation. I am sure that part of it was that I know next to nothing about the subject of the meeting, so I was in unfamiliar territory to begin with. By the time the meeting was over, my brain nearly ached from trying hard to pay attention. On my way out of the building where the meeting was held, I got totally lost and I couldn’t find my way out of the building. The only “exit” I could find had stairs, and I walk with a rollator. Then I got out into the parking lot, and backed into a post. There was no damage to the post or my van, but it furthered rattled me. On the way home I decided to forgo a stop at the grocery store. I chuckled a bit when I realized that I was starting to be a danger to myself and others, so I just went home. Later, though, I started worrying. Have I lost even more cognitive function? I decided to just relax and read. To my horror, I realized that I had read the same paragraph over and over and still couldn’t understand what it said.

This morning I found myself considering canceling my plans for the day in case I still had that case of The Stupids. Is there any sort of medication I can take to clear my cog-fog? I am already isolated enough. I can’t start staying home just because I don’t feel up to it all.
marion06095 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 07-29-2008, 10:11 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

sorry about your day......

Winston Churchill
PJAMES is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:14 AM #3
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Sorry to hear you had such a rough time yesterday.

I get that from time to time too. It takes me about an hour in the morning to know how my cog stuff is generally going to be for the day. It's a feeling that's hard to describe (gotta love this MS stuff), but the best thing I can come up with is disorientation. If it doesn't go away during my normal wakeup period, it usually sticks with me. Sometimes sensory overload will also cause it to sneak up on me.

My neuro told me to do more stuff to "train the brain". Puzzles, brain games, etc. to try to help it out. Even though I do that, I still have bad days on this rollar coaster ride.

Just thought of something else. Have you started a new med recently? Some of the ones they give us to help with other symptoms can throw our cog issues for a loop for a week or two.

Hope you feel better soon.

Dx'd MS 2007, Fibro 2009
FinLady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
weegot5kiz (07-30-2008)
Old 07-29-2008, 10:23 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Sorry you had such a rough day. As I become tired, my cognitive problems increase. Some days I wake just having a bad time. Summer in particular is very bad for me; heat, humidity and sun.

I realized I was no longer safe to myself or others to continue to drive at some point along the line. I couldn't live with myself if I caused injury or death to another just because I wanted to continue to drive.

I discussed this with two of my doctors and they agreed I should not be driving. This was after I had a cognitive test...showed poor judgment, bad memory, inability to learn new things, slow thinking.

Maybe you might want to talk to your neuro about taking a cognitive test...

Take care.
0357 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
FinLady (07-29-2008)
Old 07-29-2008, 10:27 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Yes!

Yes, FinLady! Exactly! Disorientation and sensory overload! I’ve been groping for words to describe it. The closest that I have come is to describe it as feeling like I never totally wake up, or sometimes I just feel just like I just woke up all day long. I have an appointment with my Neurologist tomorrow. I am really going to mention it. I’m also going to ask for LDN. If I can’t get it through him, I may just find other means. I have read testimonials by people who said it was of great help for cog-fog.
"Thanks for this!" says:
FinLady (07-29-2008)
Old 07-29-2008, 10:55 AM #6
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marion06095 View Post
YThe closest that I have come is to describe it as feeling like I never totally wake up, or sometimes I just feel just like I just woke up all day long.
I get this too, and there is NO WAY I can snap out of it unless I go back to sleep for a while Sometimes I only need another 20 min (even after a 3 hr nap), and other times I need another hour or more.

I have learned to completely trust this sure sign that I need more sleep, and if after 15 min of trying to wake up I don't feel MS-normal, I go back to bed. I always awake the second time without the same foggy-headedness, and ready to go.

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
FinLady (07-29-2008), tonyaocala (07-29-2008)
Old 07-29-2008, 10:59 AM #7
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marion06095 View Post
Yes, FinLady! Exactly! Disorientation and sensory overload! I’ve been groping for words to describe it. The closest that I have come is to describe it as feeling like I never totally wake up, or sometimes I just feel just like I just woke up all day long. I have an appointment with my Neurologist tomorrow. I am really going to mention it. I’m also going to ask for LDN. If I can’t get it through him, I may just find other means. I have read testimonials by people who said it was of great help for cog-fog.
I am not usually bothered by Cog Fog, except a little when I'm first awakening. It must be the LDN..

Feel better, Marion..

"The best way out is always through". Robert Frost

~If The World Didn't Suck, We Would All Fall Off~
SallyC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 11:03 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I don’t know, lady. I get plenty of sleep; too much in fact. It is now noon, and I am kinking myself out of the house and on with some work-related stuff. I am going to photograph a sunflower field - on a rollator no less. It should be cool, so wish me luck.
Old 07-29-2008, 12:19 PM #9
Elder Member

15 yr Member
Elder Member

15 yr Member

sorry you had a day from....hope today is much better for you

I also get those usually by ten a.m. after i have dropped everything i have touched, i know its a bad day for me and I keep my doings to a min. dropping everything i touch is my warning sign, i dont drive on days like that, thats a crayola only day, and no belt or laces type of day, and nothing sharper than a marble.

again hope today is better for you, have found the more frustrated i get over it the worse things get, so dont let it get the best of you

History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme.............................Mark Twain

weegot5kiz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
FinLady (07-29-2008)
Old 07-29-2008, 02:30 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I totally understand what you mean. Finlady describes it perfectly! I usually know after my morning coffee if I'm going to have one of those 'lost in space' kind of days. I don't drive, or even cook without the kitchen timer (although on one occasion I set the timer and then couldn't remember where the 'beep, beep, beep' noise was coming from, LOL). I really hate this symptom the most think . I do not like feeling so incompetent.

Jodylee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
FinLady (07-29-2008), weegot5kiz (07-30-2008)