Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 07-31-2008, 12:42 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Thumbs Up Two great things I found that I think can help

K, peeps, lissen up, these are good.

One is Feldenkrais therapy, a form of very subtle but powerful body work involving bringing nuanced awareness to parts of the body and experiencing small shifts in movement initiations. Sounds like esoteric hocus-pocus, but it's not. If you have someone really good to work with (and lord knows I know it's expensive) - still in one session I completely realigned my pelvis. It was like magic, and seems to be internal info that I can return to and benefit from. This work is probably best for people who are very body oriented, and used to physical concentration, but I was amazed that I could accomplish in one session what I had not been able to in months of Pilates and weight training corrective exercises.

Number two: virgin coconut oil. The stuff is great and amazing. There is lots of info about it, so google it and read up...apparently unique in stimulating the thyroid, amongst other many incredible things that could be very good for PD people - like really helping with gastric problems a lot because it is so easily digestible, acts as an antioxidant, fights infection and inflammation, and many other things. Sounds too good to be true, but I really believe the stuff I've been reading because it all makes a lot of sense. Just using it on my skin alone has made a big difference - providing a kind of envelope of light, sustaining warmth that seems to protect and nourish me. Check it out.
Fiona is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Ibken (07-31-2008), lou_lou (08-01-2008), paula_w (07-31-2008), smithclayriley (08-02-2008)
Old 07-31-2008, 05:30 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Yes, the Feldenkrais work I've done has been very beneficial. I've also had the 10 session Rolfing sequence which was like WD-40 for the tight places in my armor. My wife is a dancer/choreographer and she swears by both. as well as a relatively recent therapeutic approach called Gyrotonics. It uses circular and fluid patterns to unlock movement. Gyrotonics usually can be taken in a class setting so is less costly. Rolfing for me was part of doctor's office physical therapy prescription and thus was blessedly covered by insurance. With all of these approaches, the benefits they offer are contingent on the skill and sensitive of the person administering them.
aquario is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote