Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 08-02-2008, 01:54 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Book Newbie needing advice please

Hi all,
i am new to the forum and need advice please.Will try to keep my story brief!.
It was 3 yrs and following an MRI i was diagnosed with an annular tear L5 S1.My neurosurgeon decided it did not warrent i microdiscectomy and i was referred to pain management.
Soooooooo here we are 3 yrs later with lower right sided back pain,affected by sitting,driving,walking and lying.I get alot of foot pain and lower limb pain.It is very disabling all of the time.
I guess what i want to know, is this normal to be almost as bad now as i was 3 yrs ago?
Do we need to look at what has happened to the disc itself after 3 yrs?.
Should i get referred to an orthopaedic surgeon who can investigate the disc(they put the dye through n then xray)i think this may show a clearer picture rather than MRI.
SO fed up and confused,any advice please.
Take care all
Justine
daftlass is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-02-2008, 03:23 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I've been suffering from lower back pain for about 5 years. I have osteoarthritis and feel it. However, I also have one disk that causes me constant pain. I wonder the same thing as you do. How come it never heals? What else can be done? I've tried everything. I saw my Doctor last week and I asked about the "Discogram" where they go in and look closer at the offending disk. He said he would not want to do that unless we were considering surgery. I'm not wanting to go that route as I don't want to be worse than I already am, and I hear alot of horror stories. The odds are not high enough for me to make that leap. So I just manage the pain and do what I can to make it through life. That all said, I know there are alot of people out there with worse pain than what I suffer, but since I own my pain...I do throw myself pity-parties when I've had it.

Acceptance of living this way may be the best medicine, and then deal with it daily. Not easy to live with, I know...but wanted to offer up that many of us are dealing with this with you. Sorry you hurt It wouldn't hurt to see an Orthopedic Surgeon...answers are always a blessing.

Wisdom to the soul is what health is to the body
sugarboo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote