advertisement

Old 08-04-2008, 11:31 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default lesion in brain stem

What else can happen besides vertigo?

HANG IN THERE!

If I had to sum up FRIENDSHIP in one word, it would be COMFORT. ~Adabella Radici

MS/dx2006
BETASERON (Quit May 2011)
COPAXONE (Began June 2011)
Friend2U is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-04-2008, 11:56 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Chris also has lesions in his brain stem, it's scary but so far I don't see any additional sx's other than his normal balance issue.
Friend2U (08-05-2008)
Old 08-04-2008, 12:11 PM #3
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Well, this I believe is off 'theory' more so than an MRI showing said brain stem lesion....meaning, I never sat down with my neuro and combed over the MRI film of little or big white glowing lesions. He saw it, I didn't. I don't think he wants me to see it... other than he'll tell me, "Placement matters, number of lesions does not".

I had vertigo terribly twice, and I've been suffering with burning mouth syndrome (believed to be neurological in nature by 2 neuros) for a year. Both my neuro and another neuro I saw said that it's likely a brain stem lesion causing the burning mouth issue.

As far as other 'symptoms' arising from this, it's hard to say. I've had girdle sensation and L'Hermittes sign among many different symptoms.

The burning mouth is the pinnacle of 'not fun' . But it's been there for so long now, I'm beginning to find ways around it so to speak... ways of easing the discomfort.
05/2008 - Relapse
05/2008 to 02/2009 - Copaxone
10/2011 - Relapse - Optic Neuritis developed
9/2012 - Relapse - Balance issues 1 sided
8/2012 - Erythema Nodosum - diagnosed 10/2012, reaction to Topiramate (Topamax)
April 7/14 - Raynaud's Syndrome DX
dmplaura is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Friend2U (08-05-2008)
Old 08-05-2008, 04:25 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Brainstem lesions do sound scary but what I try to remember with this nasty disease is that very little is predictable. Trying to figure out what will happen based on lesion location is often just a guessing game, imo. Hang in there, Jules
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
Anonymous
Jules A is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Friend2U (08-05-2008)
Old 08-05-2008, 04:30 AM #5
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

There's a sticky at the top of the MS Forum called Lesion Location and Symptoms: http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread3436.html

Quote:
BRAIN STEM - Neurological functions located in the brain stem include those necessary for survival (breathing, digestion, heart rate, blood pressure) and for arousal (being awake and alert). It is the pathway for all fiber tracts passing up and down from peripheral nerves and spinal cord to the highest parts of the brain. This includes:

Medulla Oblongata - primarily a relay station for the crossing of motor tracts between the spinal cord and the brain. It also contains the respiratory, vasomotor and cardiac centers, as well as many mechanisms for controlling reflex activities such as coughing, gagging, swallowing and vomiting

Mid-brain - nerve pathway of the cerebral hemispheres and contains auditory and visual reflex centers

Pons - links different parts of the brain and serves as a relay station from the medulla to the higher cortical structures of the brain. It contains the respiratory center.
You could probably try a Web Search of 'Symptoms of Brain Stem Lesions', and see what comes up.

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
CayoKay (08-08-2008), Friend2U (08-05-2008), MSacorn (08-06-2008), SallyC (08-05-2008), weegot5kiz (08-06-2008)
Old 08-05-2008, 10:01 AM #6
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

The critical point is whether they become active, and just how active they become. That is true of any lesion.

I know many people who have spinal lesions, and over 20 - 30 yrs have never had any problems what-so-ever from them. When some people hear "spinal" or "brainstem" lesions, it conjures up all kinds of scary scenarios . . . but this is not what happens for most people.

Why do you want to know, friend? I can tell you what the brainstem controls, but it is probably one of those definitions I would consider offering on a "need to know" basis. Are you are having symptoms that you think might be related to the brainstem, and you have a brainstem lesion that you know of . . . is that where this is coming from?

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
dmplaura (08-08-2008), Friend2U (08-05-2008), Jules A (08-05-2008), SallyC (08-05-2008), weegot5kiz (08-06-2008)
Old 08-05-2008, 11:57 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Cherie,

All I know for sure that I am experiencing Vertigo with this exaserbation. It has eased up some today, after getting some sort of patch that goes behind my ear. I just have read this is caused by lesion on brain stem. That is why I am asking for more information.I have other things going on, and wondering if anything else can be caused by lesions of the brain stem.

I had a recent mri and know that i do have new lesions. at the time he didn't say where, or how many. just that they are responsible for the things going on in this present attack. At the time i didn't ask too many questions.
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_express_44 View Post
The critical point is whether they become active, and just how active they become. That is true of any lesion.

I know many people who have spinal lesions, and over 20 - 30 yrs have never had any problems what-so-ever from them. When some people hear "spinal" or "brainstem" lesions, it conjures up all kinds of scary scenarios . . . but this is not what happens for most people.

Why do you want to know, friend? I can tell you what the brainstem controls, but it is probably one of those definitions I would consider offering on a "need to know" basis. Are you are having symptoms that you think might be related to the brainstem, and you have a brainstem lesion that you know of . . . is that where this is coming from?

Cherie

HANG IN THERE!

If I had to sum up FRIENDSHIP in one word, it would be COMFORT. ~Adabella Radici

MS/dx2006
BETASERON (Quit May 2011)
COPAXONE (Began June 2011)
Friend2U is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 12:07 AM #8
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Awww, Friend2U, so sorry about your exacerbation. That's the pits.

I hope you get some relief very soon.

I've lost my mind ... and I don't miss it!

LIFE HAS NO REMOTE -- GET UP AND CHANGE IT YOURSELF!
Twinkletoes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Friend2U (08-06-2008)
Old 08-08-2008, 02:30 PM #9
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Friend2U,

I hope you are feeling better and your vertigo has settled down. It sounds like your Neuro is on top of it giving you the patch behind your ear.

I had 3 MRI's when I was being diagnosed and my last MRI in 1994 showed 3 brainstem lesions and several other lesions elsewhere. I haven't had anymore MRI's because I have a pacemaker so I have no clue what my brain looks like now.

I really can't tell you what is brainstem related. I just don't know but I think some of my symptoms are related to brainstem lesion. The best thing for you to do is to ask your Neuro. I have asked my Neuro about several MS symptoms in the past and she has told me what part of the brain is causing them.

I do have dizziness, vertigo, imbalance, double vision, blurry vision and many more symptoms. I get different answers on whether my back problems, migraines and heart problems are from MS. I think they are since they all started at the time my MS became apparent but I'm not a doctor. LOL

I have a pacemaker because my heart rate went so low that is was trying to stop beating and I also developed arrhythmias. I take meds daily for the arrhythmias. Whether this is an MS symptom is up in the air depending on which doctor I talk to.

My Cardiologist/Electrophysiologist thinks it is but my Neuro is not sold on it. She says it could be but not everything that goes wrong with us is MS related. There is not really any data to support it as an MS symptom.

It is different for all of us so it's hard to know and no matter what symptoms we have they still have to be treated. It seemed logical to me that my heart problems were from the brainstem lesions but who knows.

My old Cardiologist who treated me for 14 years, retired last Sept., and he used to smile when I would tell him that I thought my heart, back and migraines were MS related. I wanted everything to make sense and put it in a little package as MS related. He always smiled at me and said it didn't matter, it still had to be treated whether it is MS or not.

Nothing about MS makes sense. I hope you feel better soon.

Hugs,
Becky

IMAGINE
RRMS - 1992 -- SPMS - 1993
Not on DMD's

Becky21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Friend2U (08-14-2008), SandyC (08-08-2008)
Old 08-09-2008, 12:51 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have lesions now everywhere and some are active. Black holes as well now. My MS is in remission since September '96.

When my MS was active my first four years, I had two 5mm lesions; one near my vision field and one in my frontal lobe. Yet, I went to 9.5 on the Kurtzke Scale. I couldn't lift my arms and it affected my ability to breath...I fought for every breathe I took.

IMO MS is caused by a virus that attacks the brain stem and lesions can add to our problems. That Time Life book on the brain is IMO an excellent source of information about the different parts of the brain stem and their functions.

Take care.
0357 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Friend2U (08-14-2008)