Spinal Disorders & Back Pain For discussion of all spinal cord injuries, spinal issues, back-related pain or problems.

advertisement

Old 08-08-2008, 05:29 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Is a discogram painful

Is a discogram painful to have done I have two torn disc and the pain doc wants to do a discogram
rfei57 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-08-2008, 11:51 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I would want to know the truth, so I'll let you know what my doctor told me. While trying to determine which disks were causing some of my symptoms prior to surgery the doctor had me go through some tests that numbed certain nerves between specific disks -this was uncomfortable, but not unbearable. He said to be more specific he could do a distogram, but he didn't want to put me though it as it was pretty bad. I would ask your doctor is there is an alternative procedure to give him the information he needs.
Herman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:16 AM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfei57 View Post
Is a discogram painful to have done I have two torn disc and the pain doc wants to do a discogram
Depends on how much damage there is- the worse things are, the worse the pain will be- and when things aren't too bad it's no big deal. But if your back has been through a lot, and those discs are shredded all to heck then discogram injections into the bad discs can be horrendously painful. (sometimes worse than that)

If you've been doing a lot of heavy lifting for years and are the stoical type, the discs might be a lot worse than most folks, in which case you'd be better off getting a second opinion as to whether the discogram injections are really necessary. Many docs do them for the wrong reasons (and then the surgeon later tells you that there was no need for them in your case.)

But if you just injured your back once, I wouldn't worry too much.

good luck.

Last edited by Curious; 08-15-2008 at 01:15 PM. Reason: just removed 1/2 page of blank space for scrolling reasons
old_n_gray is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:25 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_n_gray View Post
Depends on how much damage there is- the worse things are, the worse the pain will be- and when things aren't too bad it's no big deal. But if your back has been through a lot, and those discs are shredded all to heck then discogram injections into the bad discs can be horrendously painful. (sometimes worse than that)

If you've been doing a lot of heavy lifting for years and are the stoical type, the discs might be a lot worse than most folks, in which case you'd be better off getting a second opinion as to whether the discogram injections are really necessary. Many docs do them for the wrong reasons (and then the surgeon later tells you that there was no need for them in your case.)

But if you just injured your back once, I wouldn't worry too much.

good luck.
My back is in bad shape it is into my foot the pain never goes away no matter with the Drs have done.I just do not know if would do any good to have on done when they the shots it was not fun lets of pressure and they hit a nerve two times
here is what my MRI said

I had a MRI in 2006 and this is it There is a grade 1 anterolisthesis of L4-L5 with a hemanioma in the L2 vertebral body, The conus medullaris terminates at the level of L1-L2 and shows normal signal. This is suggesttion or a small synovial cyst posterior to the bilateral L4-L5 facet articulation.Mild bone marrow edema adjacent to the facet articulations at L4-L5 and L5-S1 are likely related to sever degenerative/ arthritic changes. Mild T2 hyperintensity in the paravertebral soft tissues adjacent to the left L4-L5 facet articulation likely represents represents reactive change as well. At L1-L2 level no central canal or foraminal compromise.
At L2-L3 level no central canal or foraminal compromise
At the L-3-L4 level there is minmal bulge asmmetrically prominent to the right side. Central canal shows no significant compromise, Neural foramina show minimal narrowing bilaterally. There may be a right posterolateral annular tear.
At the L4-L5 level there is a diffuse disc bulge associated with bilateral facet and ligamentum flavum hypertrophy. There is mild central canal stenosis at this level. There is mild left neural foraminal narowing. The right neural foramen remains patent.
At the L-5-S1 level there is a mild diffuse disc bulge associated with a posterior annular tear. the central canal is not stenotic. There is a mild neural forminal narrowing. The right neural foramen remains patent.
1. Atthe L4-L5 level there in mild central canal stenosis secondary to disc bulge, ligamentum flavum hypertrophy as well as severe facet hypertrophic degeneraive change bilaterally
2. Grade 1 anterolisthesis of the L4 and L5 that was the mri in 2006.

I just do not know if would do any good to have on done when they the shots it was not fun lets of pressure and they hit a nerve two times
rfei57 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 12:52 PM #5

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Unhappy Discogram Pain?

I have been told by my Doctors that I need to have this done to determine if I need to have L4 & L3 Disc replaced.
How painful is this?
Very scarry when it comes to the spine.....
learbones is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:12 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default can be very painfull

As stated they can be very painfull, depending on how bad your disc are. For me the pain was extremely bad for two of my discs, but thank god they had good IV meds injected into me right away after the proceedure. As long as they have the IV meds there for you I wouldnt worry.

The discogram did give some really good information about my situation. Prior to the discogram they didnt know to what extent my DDD was causing me pain. Once the test was done, it was obvious and this information will go into the decession making of weather or not I get surgery.
neednewback is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:33 PM #7

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

This is my first time on here. Please excuse me if I am doing this wrong.

I had a disogram done a few weeks ago. It was the absolute worst pain I've felt in my life! It's not a test that is supposed to help you feel better by any means, just to test where your pain is and where they need to operate. As a result, I need to have a 3 level fusion on my L-4, L-5 and S-1.
Chrissy4581 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-20-2009, 10:46 AM #8

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I know I'm a bit behind on this thread since I just joined. I hope someone needing information can use it though.

Discogram sounds harmless enough but up until November of this year it was the worse pain I ever felt. Luckily when the procedure was over, so was the pain. My doc says they have to create the pain to find the pain and they did. I'm an ex Navy sailor with a lot of years at sea and I though I heard every cuss word in the book but when I had my discogram I used them all and I think I made up a few of my own. I apologized to the staff and they just laughed and complimented me on my new words.

The pain wasn't ongoing during the procedure but when the needle was in the pain was there. It didn't take too long though and I got over it quickly.

Good luck with it...but remember, you'll probably get over it very quickly!!!
Greggg is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:56 PM #9

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

I do not know if I am too late, but to anyone who is considering a discogram/disography (googled it or whatever). I want to say I have been through all sorts of pain throughout my life, but the discogram was something I never expected. It was the WORST pain I ever incurred in my life. No, I am not exaggerating. I asked my doctor when he recommended this, if it would be very painful. He told me there would be moderate pain, well he was being modest because it took a new nurses to hold me down. It also depends on how bad your discs are too. If they are bad, then it will be bad. After the discogram/discography my neurosurgeon still uses my MRIs to determine treatment, so I don't know what the procedure was for (kinda ****** me off). If you are not considering surgery, I would say it is a waste of time to get this procedure done.
nikkinac is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 06:24 AM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkinac View Post
I do not know if I am too late, but to anyone who is considering a discogram/disography (googled it or whatever). I want to say I have been through all sorts of pain throughout my life, but the discogram was something I never expected. It was the WORST pain I ever incurred in my life. No, I am not exaggerating. I asked my doctor when he recommended this, if it would be very painful. He told me there would be moderate pain, well he was being modest because it took a new nurses to hold me down. It also depends on how bad your discs are too. If they are bad, then it will be bad. After the discogram/discography my neurosurgeon still uses my MRIs to determine treatment, so I don't know what the procedure was for (kinda ****** me off). If you are not considering surgery, I would say it is a waste of time to get this procedure done.
I agree with nikkinac, I too never knew that pain came in that flavor. I never imagined there was pain that bad and I am fairly certain that if they had not given me the meds I would have gone into shock. But, once they gave me the IV meds, I was mostly out of pain.

As far as the importance of the discogram, I found out that I had numerous annular tears and that two discs were causing me pain. For some reason this test didnt mean too much to my surgeon and he explained that he uses it to make his final decission on surgery. If it had only been one disc and it was very clear that it reproduced my normal pain he would have fused that disc.
neednewback is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote