advertisement

Old 08-11-2008, 09:55 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Double Vision...

This morning, after putting my contacts on, something seemed "off" with my right eye while driving to town. I didn't think much about it....just figured it was time to put on a new pair of contacts. Went on to the store, got home about 2 hours later, put away the groceries and then laid down in my bedroom (coolest room in the house) to cool off. I bought a new book at the store and decided to start it while laying there. The words appeared like I would think they would if I started to cross my eyes but then uncrossed them.

I had to stop reading and I haven't noticed it being that bad since then; however, after dinner we all sat down to watch the Olympics and I started noticing there was something "off" with that same eye. I started looking at the digital clock on the cable box (covering one eye, then the other) and with my right eye, I'm seeing a partial image of the numbers below the real numbers. I'm also having some overall blurriness in that right eye. No pain, though.

I've had nystagmus before, and it doesn't seem the same as that. I guess I should call the eye doctor in the morning. Has anyone here had double vision before? Can you explain it? TIA.

12/05: MS Dx ~~ 1/06-5/06: Avonex ~~ 8/06-9/06: Copaxone ~~ 12/06: Betaseron ~~ 1/07: No DMDs For Now
jowen214 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-11-2008, 10:34 PM #2
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

I had it in 2005 - it was what earned me my dx of MS. I noticed several days before it got really bad that something was not quite right. Things would appear out of focus and if I tried to look to the left it doubled and then got fuzzy. If I covered one eye (and it didn't matter which) then the double vision vanished. It lasted from October 2005 to February 2006. I hope yours is short lived and doesn't cause any lasting effects.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:38 PM #3
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

I've had diplopia (double vision) since at least last summer.

When I look to the right without moving my head, or if I try to look back towards the right when I'm backing my car out of a space, I get the double vision.

It's a bit irritating at times, but I've adjusted to it. The double image on the right is always the correct image for me, and I've pretty much trained my eye to not look too far to the right, I tend to turn my head more instead now.

Some days are worse than others. When I had ON earlier this spring, it was a lot more noticeable.

You should probably go visit your opthalmologist to make sure there's nothing else wacky going on in your eyes. He might be able to get you a new glasses Rx with a prism in it to correct the diplopia.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:46 AM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile

I’ve had double vision for so long that I am totally used to it. Don’t fight it. Just choose which image you want to go with, and let the rest go.
marion06095 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 08:44 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Thanks, everyone. It's still not right this morning, so I'm getting ready to call my eye doctor.

12/05: MS Dx ~~ 1/06-5/06: Avonex ~~ 8/06-9/06: Copaxone ~~ 12/06: Betaseron ~~ 1/07: No DMDs For Now
Old 08-13-2008, 03:44 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Smile regarding double vision

neurological probs can often create double vision and it can also be intermittent ie. worse some days than others. Muscle weakness of one of the six muscles controlling eye position will cause double vision and it will always correct itself if one eye is covered or closed if muscle weakness is the cause. your optometrist may be able to fit a prism into a pair of specs which can alleviate symptoms. If it's intermittent a Fresnel prism (which is removeable) can be fitted to your specs, but this can make your vision worse (less clear but not double).The Fresnel prism will avoid thick chunky spec lenses as well.

If your a contacts wearer and get double vision in one eye with the other eye closed or covered, it could simply be a badly fitting contact lens, a simple check would be remove your contacts - does the problem go away when specs are put on? In either case you should still see your optometrist so they can rule out any other problems. Hope this info helps.
matty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:03 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Well, I saw my eye dr last Tuesday and he agreed that vision in my right eye was worse than when I was there a couple of months ago; however, the optic nerve looked good. Suggested that we wait till Friday and for me to call him that day to let him know if it was any better/worse. It was about the same on Friday, so he gave me a sample of Nevanac drops (steroid drops) just in case the blurriness was a precursor to some inflammation.

I used the drops 3 times/day since then, and today the right eye is worse. I'm going back tomorrow for another visit. Getting a little nervous b/c my eyesight is horrible enough as it is, and as the afternoon has gone by, I've noticed it getting worse.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:42 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I had double vision and nystagmus together, sigh. Like Herekitty it is what earned me my MS diagnosis.

I'm not sure if this will help since yours is only 1 eye but I cut out a piece of black paper the size of my glasses lens and taped it to one of them. I also used an eye patch but felt the paper on the lens was better although neither one of them looked particularily spiffy.

I hope you get some relief soon.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
Anonymous
Jules A is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:29 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Let us know what the doc says. I don't believe steroid drops would do anything if the MS is causing this because that is topical and would have no effect on inflammation in your brain.

More likely you would need IVSM, PT, or just wait it out until it improves. There are PT exercises you can do to strengthen the eye muscle if that is the problem. Unfortunately, MS does cause a lot of people problems with double vision.

Take me back to days full of monkeyshines
Bouncin' on a bubble full of trouble in the summer sun
Keep your raft from the riverboat
Fiction over fact always has my vote
And wrinkles only go where the smiles have been...

Jimmy Buffett from "Barefoot Children in the Rain"

hollym is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:01 AM #10
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

Double vision seems to be a very common trend with MS. Or I see it brought up a lot when speaking of symptoms.

I have had trouble with seeing at distance for quite a while now. Be it blurry or double vision. For me this has been occurring since last summer.

Hang in there hun!
05/2008 - Relapse
05/2008 to 02/2009 - Copaxone
10/2011 - Relapse - Optic Neuritis developed
9/2012 - Relapse - Balance issues 1 sided
8/2012 - Erythema Nodosum - diagnosed 10/2012, reaction to Topiramate (Topamax)
April 7/14 - Raynaud's Syndrome DX
dmplaura is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote