15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart Climbing every mountain for the thrill of it all

Climbing every mountain for the thrill of it all

As told to Star reporter Barb Berggoetz
Posted: August 12, 2008
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../1083/LIVING01

I'm motivated to exercise really hard if I have a goal laid out in front of me, like a bike trip or a mountain climb. On Thursday, I'm attempting to finish the "Grand Slam" challenge by climbing the last of the 54 mountains that are 14,000 feet or more in Colorado.

I've been mountain climbing for nearly 23 years. A college fraternity brother inspired me to hike across the Grand Canyon. In 1995, I climbed Mount Kilimanjaro, a 19,340-foot peak -- the highest in Africa.

Years ago, I ran into another fraternity friend who was attempting the Grand Slam in Colorado. I wanted to try to do the same. I started doing the Grand Slam climbs in 1997.

My last peak to climb is Mount Eolus. There's a real treacherous part called the sidewalk in the sky -- 100 yards, 3 feet wide, with steep drop-offs heading up to the summit. I tried to do this previously and crawled on all fours on this section. But I was so stressed about getting over it that I couldn't make it 45 more minutes to the summit.

Now, I have to face it again. Psychologically, I've already crossed it.

I go to a personal trainer twice a week. She gives me a hard workout with pull-ups, weight work, jump roping, balance exercises and a lot of core exercises to improve my balance.

I play racquetball twice a week and ride a bike three or four times a week. To prepare for a climb, I go to Holliday Park with a 40-pound backpack and go up and down the hills.

In 1998, I began noticing the first symptoms of Parkinson's disease. I'm faring pretty well so far. When I'm riding my bike or exercising, the symptoms seem to disappear. It's almost mystical. That motivates me. The dexterity in my hands isn't good, and I have tremors in my right hand and left leg. Balance can be tricky.

But I just refuse to let this thing beat me. I'm going to enhance my strength faster than the degenerative effects of Parkinson's.
As told to Star reporter Barb Berggoetz at barb.berggoetz@IndyStar.com
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-13-2008, 12:18 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default ynot?

Go for it ! Why should we treat ourselves like " invalids" and "china off the shelves" WE are still Men and Women! I hope!
BUZZZ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:29 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZZ View Post
Go for it ! Why should we treat ourselves like " invalids" and "china off the shelves" WE are still Men and Women! I hope!
I agree. That is why I've taken up severe storm chasing, and I'm back to bike riding again. I won't let the Parkinson's get me. I want to conquer the Parkinsons's!

I'm out to taste the world and enjoy what I can while I can and I say phuey to the PD!

John
jcitron is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote