advertisement

Old 08-15-2008, 04:21 AM #1
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member
Default Ohmygosh! Insomnia really sucks!

I tried and couldnt not sleep Wednesday night. I managed to fall asleep around 8am thursday morning...and woke up around noon and never got back to sleep again.

It's now FOUR in the morning on friday and I STILL have not fallen asleep yet.

ARGH!!!!!

And, I have to be up before noon because we've got someone coming over today.

Right now, insomnia seems to be my most annoying MS symptom. Weird, all my previous MS annoyances seem to have let up on me for the most part, except for the MS Trolls in my head that are apparently pumping caffeine directly into my brain somewhere.

I do have sleeping pills (amitriptyline) but they didnt work for me the other day...so I havent even bothered with it. I have trazodone too, but it makes me feel weird the next day.

Maybe I'll go sleep in my recliner.

I looked up MS and sleep disorders. I'm pretty sure that I'm not depressed. I dont feel sad. I'm actually pretty happy with the way things are going right now. The numbness and weird vision problems havent been bothering me lately (other than the left arm that goes numb every night when I'm sleeping, but it always wakes up when I do)

Except for a weird infection last week (dont ask..it was a girl thing) I dont think I have anything strange in the way of infection going on (well, maybe under a filling that's going to get removed in October)

I'm wondering if there's an exacerbation about to hit me. I hope not. That would probably not be good. (can you tell I need sleep. I tend to ramble on when I'm tired) An exacerbation would probably really suck right now...seeing as I just paid for a hotel room for my weekend trip in two weeks. (probably a good thing I paid the $8 for the insurance to be able to cancel if something were to interfere with my plans)

Does anyone else go thru stretches of insomnia that seems to stick around for several days at a time? I really dont feel like going to a psychiatrist, or going somewhere to have a sleep study done (how can they study sleep, if you're not sleeping...sounds like that would be a problem) Plus a sleep study sounds like it's expensive. I'm pretty sure my insurance company doesnt like me and wouldnt like me using them to help pay for a sleep study.

I guess I'll go lay down and listen to classical music...something boring, maybe that will knock me out?

right after I go have breakfast with my dad before he leaves for work.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-15-2008, 04:58 AM #2
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I'm sorry that I didn't see you there Erin or I'd have dropped in earlier to say hello, and to keep you company. Insomnia is definitely not fun!

Do you have the Games on TV at the moment to give you something watch? I've been watching the cycling, and am waiting for the pursuit, or the "Cat & Mouse" as I call it. I like that one.

If you're unlucky not to be able to sleep on another night, may I suggest the Night Owl's thread? That usually brings out any other insomniacs who may be signed in.

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (08-15-2008)
Old 08-15-2008, 04:59 AM #3
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member
Wisest Elder Ever

15 yr Member

I suffer from insomnia quite often. I really don't get too worked up about it 'cos I can just take a nap during the day. It passes and I'm able to sleep eventually. Seems the more I think and worry about it the worse it gets.

Just sleep when you can and get a good book or movies to watch for the times when you can't.
These forums are for mutual support and information sharing only. The forums are not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider. Always consult your doctor before trying anything you read here.
Kitty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 07:16 AM #4
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

me! I do! it SUCKS OUT LOUD!

3 am still counting sheep, ticked off. I normally get out of bed, and go do something else. My MS MD said as long as I am resting and allowing my body time to just relax and rest I should be ok for short stints of insomnia.

I moved my copaxone to day time, cause some say it keeps them up. I drink warm milk, and dont watch TV for 2 hours before. NO computer either. the stimulus visually tells the brain its time to be awake. soft music, VERY DARK room, and deep breathing help. if I cant sleep, at least I can meditate.

I try to stick to a schedule. up at 6 and in bed ready to sleep by 10.

I hope you feel better.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (08-15-2008), weegot5kiz (08-15-2008)
Old 08-15-2008, 09:44 AM #5
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Hi Erin,

Are you aware that this has been an ongoing problem for you, since before you came over to this forum? I can remember you talking about this way back when . . . but I know how it is that we can tend to forget about issues until they become a big problem again. Look back though, by searching threads with your name and "insomnia" though . . .

So, what have you tried of the suggestions you've been given?

You aren't working, and don't have kids . . . so are you doing as much physical and mental exercises as you can during the day? Do you cut the lawn, weed the garden in the sun, go to the gym to work out, do regular stretching exercises, etc?

Have you tried to adjust your internal clock, as it seems you are a "night owl"? Do you limit how much sleep you get in a day, or force yourself to stay awake? Do you not nap after, say, 2:00 pm?

Does it really matter that much if you can't sleep at night? Even if you have to get up for a noon appointment, you can probably go back to sleep later . . . if necessary.

I don't have normal sleeping hours either, but then it doesn't matter too much because I only HAVE to be up for certain hours of the day (pick up kids, cook, etc.). I almost always wake up at 5:00 am (no more "fun" then still being up at 3:00, believe me ), but I just work around that. That is when I am most productive (maybe you are at midnight?), so that's when I do my shopping, cleaning, researching, etc.).

I think that perhaps you are too anxious about this, and that just makes things worse.

Cherie
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (08-15-2008), weegot5kiz (08-15-2008)
Old 08-15-2008, 10:38 AM #6
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Jim's suffering insomnia right now. It's been going on for about a month and yes it sucks. He usually combats it by taking an afternoon nap but then that probably interferes as well. He's sleeping right now because his spasms woke him up last night. This all started when the weather turned hotter so who knows. His doctor doesn't seem too concerened and even gave him marinol to help but it doesn't. I guess we'll just ride it out. Hope you get better! If you try something and it works let us know!
Old 08-15-2008, 11:46 AM #7
Elder Member

15 yr Member
Elder Member

15 yr Member

sorry Erin usually I am up dealing with my insomnia and on here bugging Anne lol sorry i missed ya try to stay awake during the day today it really messes with me when i nap, unless i am so dead tired i cant get going then i will sleep regardless

there are so many reasons for insomnia, I know stress is my worse enemy, when i am stressing and usually over things i cant control i stress myself awake

Erin hope your day goes smooth and sleep finds you this evening

History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme.............................Mark Twain

weegot5kiz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:53 PM #8
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_express_44 View Post
Hi Erin,

Are you aware that this has been an ongoing problem for you, since before you came over to this forum? I can remember you talking about this way back when . . . but I know how it is that we can tend to forget about issues until they become a big problem again. Look back though, by searching threads with your name and "insomnia" though . . .

So, what have you tried of the suggestions you've been given?

You aren't working, and don't have kids . . . so are you doing as much physical and mental exercises as you can during the day? Do you cut the lawn, weed the garden in the sun, go to the gym to work out, do regular stretching exercises, etc?

Have you tried to adjust your internal clock, as it seems you are a "night owl"? Do you limit how much sleep you get in a day, or force yourself to stay awake? Do you not nap after, say, 2:00 pm?

Does it really matter that much if you can't sleep at night? Even if you have to get up for a noon appointment, you can probably go back to sleep later . . . if necessary.

I don't have normal sleeping hours either, but then it doesn't matter too much because I only HAVE to be up for certain hours of the day (pick up kids, cook, etc.). I almost always wake up at 5:00 am (no more "fun" then still being up at 3:00, believe me ), but I just work around that. That is when I am most productive (maybe you are at midnight?), so that's when I do my shopping, cleaning, researching, etc.).

I think that perhaps you are too anxious about this, and that just makes things worse.

Cherie
oh yeah, this has been an ongoing problem since at least 1995.

The past week or two has been different tho. Usually, I'll have insomnia, but will eventually fall asleep around 3 or 4am. Lately tho, I've been wide awake and wont fall asleep till after 6 or 7am. Yesterday I didnt fall asleep until about 8am. This morning, it was about 6am. (I ended up taking a half of a sleeping pill)

I dont work, no, but I'm fairly active all day. I dont just sit here on my computer, reading fanfiction and watching Fox News all day. I take walks. I take my mom to her appointments and try to keep her from going off on a tantrum because "no one takes her anywhere" (her words)

At night tho, when I try to fall asleep, my brain stays awake and wont go to sleep. I could be sitting here, yawning my head off and feeling totally exhausted, but my brain doesnt want to stop. I get weird headaches when that's going on too.

It just seems that no matter what I do, I cant sleep. If I do fall asleep, I have weird dreams that end up waking me up because they're either really strange dreams, or they're sometimes a bit disturbing. (and pretty realistic sometimes)

I just cant seem to stay asleep if I do get some sleep. It's like someone is giving me caffeine thru an IV pump or something.

~ "Animals have two functions in society. To taste good and to fit well." ~ Greg Proops, actor ~
Erin524 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (08-15-2008), SandyC (08-15-2008), weegot5kiz (08-15-2008)
Old 08-15-2008, 01:59 PM #9
Elder Member

15 yr Member
Elder Member

15 yr Member

is it aniexty? maybe mention to doc I know lexapro helped me when i first got DX'ed i could not sleep, i was too freaked out, now if i cant sleep, its cause i napped or am worried or so sore

have you had any type of sleep study done on yourself?

History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme.............................Mark Twain

weegot5kiz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (08-15-2008)
Old 08-15-2008, 02:13 PM #10
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Heart

erin..it does suck.

for many years i got maybe 2 or 3 hours of sleep. my high pain is what caused the onset of insomnia.

i have to move about every hour or so. i can't let my back muscles relax too much or the bones shift and boy does that send pain levels through the roof.

if my eyes even open a sliver...i'm wide awake.

i started taking melatonin. it has been amazing. it's not an rx. it helps regulate your brains sleep patterns. i also take my magnesium at night. for a year now, i rarely have insomnia. still have the pain. still have to move, but i can go back to sleep.

i have never been able to take rx sleep meds. took 1 pill of a low dose onw and slept clear through the next day. otc stuff i end up groggy and medicine head.

i hooe you get some sleep.

Curious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Bearygood (08-15-2008), weegot5kiz (08-15-2008)