advertisement

Old 08-16-2008, 04:06 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Thanks!

I wanted to thank everyone for the advice on the spinal tap. Other than the fact that the radiologist couldn't seem to find the right needle size I did okay after three separate insertions (yeah.....NOT FUN!!!!) I got the results last Wednesday. I had all the typical markers (IgG, white cell count, O Bands) typical of MS. With the lesions that were discovered on my spinal cord, and my family history, I was not that surprised.

I went back to my hometown to spend some quality time with my family. My partner stayed back home to deal with some business issues. I really wish she were here.

I'm not quite sure how I should be reacting to this news. In typical fashion, my family and friends have been coping with me with humor. I feel like breaking down. Having witnessed first hand what MS can do to my mother and my deceased mother in law, I'm really really scared. I'm not sure how to express my fear. What happens if I say it aloud? I'm worried they'll all scatter to the wind.

~M~
MistiC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (08-16-2008), dmplaura (08-16-2008), NurseNancy (08-16-2008), SallyC (08-16-2008), weeble (08-16-2008), weegot5kiz (08-16-2008)

advertisement
Old 08-16-2008, 07:01 AM #2
Elder Member

15 yr Member
Elder Member

15 yr Member

good morning Mistic, saying congrats on DX seems an odd thing to do, but knowing what you have going on with yourself and having a name to it does help in some regards. Allows you to get some help, possibly meds, there are a lot of new meds that can help slow it down.

I understand your worries of folks scattering like the wind, i would say it depends on how badly the MS was interfering with my life,

I can say one thing on here you can always find advice and some information and some really wonderful folks on here. A number of them have become my friends.

I hope you are doing well, I'm not sure if anything I said will help, I read your post and I am not that far from with my MS as to where you are now in life with MS. I still recall those questions i didn't know what to do, sure wish I knew of the chat boards that first year, with all the support and help you can receive here, this is a good place to be when you are so unsure or in doubt or questioning things, its a good place to start.

hope you feel better soon, and you are able to figure some of this out,

History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme.............................Mark Twain

weegot5kiz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
SallyC (08-16-2008)
Old 08-16-2008, 07:11 AM #3
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member

MistiC, your feelings are all feeling that most of us have gone through and still may be struggling with. It hasn't been that long for me either. I was told there will be a rave of emotions that you will go through and the best advice I got was to go with them - let them out - deal with them openly when they come to you and it will be easier on everyone especially you.

And then the second piece of advice I want to share with you is use this board to the fullest! This is a wonderful place to come and vent, laugh, cry, scream or just sit and read everyone elses post. Some of my best friends are right here - we know how you feel inside and out most of the time.

I am sorry for the reason that you had to find us but glad you did! Welcome!

Courage is doing what you're afraid to do. There can be NO courage unless you're scared.
yeahbut is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dmplaura (08-16-2008), SallyC (08-16-2008), weegot5kiz (08-16-2008)
Old 08-16-2008, 10:10 AM #4
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Welcome to the wacky club of MS. I can say, for me, there is never a dull moment. I have the attitude that every day is a new day in that I never know what's going to happen.

I have learned, tho, that not every ailment can be attributed to MS. You have to learn to pay attention to your body and know what's what. That will be difficult for awhile but please don't be afraid to call upon us and don't be afraid to call your doctor. That is most important when symptoms last for more than 24 hours.

The NMSS website has some good information for the newly dx'd. There are also some useful links in the Resources sticky at the top of the forum.

The best thing is to absorb what you've just been told and apply to your MS. Not everyone is the same.

Not everyone will respond the same to all the medications either, nor the same combinations of medications. You have to find what works for you and it'll be trial and error.

It's not all doom and gloom! MS is not a death sentence. Most people live very productive lives, and not shortened life spans either. I heard something the other day - people don't die from MS, they die with MS.

So MistiC, my best advice to you is to take it one day at a time and don't try to overload yourself with information. It will only confuse you. You have a lot of support here. That's what our forum is all about. We do care!

“When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it.” - Henry Ford
tovaxin_lab_rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
dmplaura (08-16-2008), SallyC (08-16-2008), weegot5kiz (08-16-2008)
Old 08-16-2008, 03:59 PM #5
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

sorry misti,

getting the dx is always a kind of shock whether you expect it or not.
you can talk to us and say all that's on your mind, we won't scatter. we will understand and support you.

i don't blame you for your fears. can you talk to your dr about your feelings?
and how about some therapy?

therapy has helped me very much. i can say whatever i want whether is makes sense or not. it's the way i feel. then i don't scare any of my friends or family. and a lot of times they want to be so + with me that it stifles my attempt to get my real feelings out and validated.

good luck misti.
we're here for you.
You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
--------------------------------------
"DESIDERATA" by Max Ehrmann
NurseNancy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
weegot5kiz (08-16-2008)