Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 08-17-2008, 07:27 AM #1
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart Rush University Medical Center And Hubbard Street Dance Chicago Collaborate

Rush University Medical Center And Hubbard Street Dance Chicago Collaborate To Provide Parkinson's Patients With New Outlet Through Dance

17 Aug 2008
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/118436.php

In a first-time collaboration, Hubbard Street Dance Chicago (HSDC) is working with Rush University Medical Center to launch a pilot program in contemporary dance specifically designed for people with Parkinson's disease and related movement disorders. The class, which features live piano accompaniment, takes place Saturdays from 1 p.m. to 2:15 p.m. at the Hubbard Street Dance Center, 1147 W. Jackson Blvd., in Chicago. The next 12-week fall session begins Saturday, September 6.

The class is as an opportunity for those with Parkinson's disease, as well as their loved ones and caregivers, to derive both physical and emotional benefits from participating in a contemporary dance class, according to physicians at Rush.

"Dance may be an appropriate and effective strategy for improving functional mobility deficits in people who are living with brain disorders such as Parkinson's, stroke and traumatic brain injuries," said Dr. James Young, chairman of physical medicine and rehabilitation at Rush.

READ article
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-20-2008, 11:12 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Mark Morris dance class veteran

I'm so happy for you all in the Chicago area! Our Mark Morris class, where the Rush teacher, Sarah, trained in Brooklyn, NY, has been just wonderful, and one of our teachers, Misty Owens, and William, our live piano accompanist did a demo at World PD Congress, to great acclaim. Congratulations! Dancing is a great PD therapy. Leonore
Old 08-20-2008, 05:52 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Yea! I'm glad someone posted this thread. I was watching WGN News (Chicago) yesterday afternoon and they kept saying this story was comming up. I never did see it. At least I know what it is about now.

GregD
Old 08-20-2008, 08:28 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Does anyone know of anything like this in southeastern PA?