15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Amherst, Nova Scotia: SuperWalk fundraiser planned for Sept. 13, 2008

SuperWalk fundraiser planned for Sept. 13

DARRELL COLE
The Amherst Daily News
http://www.amherstdaily.com/index.cfm?sid=165444&sc=58

AMHERST - Douglas Oulton is engaged in a continuous battle against the disease that has ended his career and taken away many of things most take for granted.

Oulton was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease on Valentine's Day, 2000 and while the symptoms weren't too bad at first, they have gotten progressively worse along with his dependence on medications to help control them.

"Believe it or not I still play basketball. I was never good at it, but I can still carry the ball down the court and put it in the bucket. That has helped me a lot," Oulton said Monday, speaking to the Amherst Rotary Club. "It has been a real challenge, but I still attempt to live each day to the fullest and with the help and support of my family I have been able to do that."

Oulton said it was a very emotional time when he told his children that he had Parkinson's. It was around the time that actor Michael J. Fox announced he had the disease.

He hoped to work five to 10 more years, but only lasted five and will mark three years of being off the job later this week.

READ article
You're alive. Do something. The directive in life, the moral imperative was so uncomplicated. It could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act. ~~Barbara Hall

I long to accomplish a great and noble tasks, but it is my chief duty to accomplish humble tasks as though they were great and noble. The world is moved along, not only by the mighty shoves of its heroes, but also by the aggregate of the tiny pushes of each honest worker. ~~Helen Keller
Stitcher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement