Pets & Wildlife For discussion of the pets in our lives, and the wildlife we come across.

advertisement

Old 08-26-2008, 07:57 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Confused Help

I had my 12 pound Siamese mix neutered today. Naturally, when he came home, he was staggering and falling and it has been a challenge to keep him quiet as he is not a lap cat. I fixed him a bed in the hallway where he likes to sleep at night but he won't have anything to do with it. He keeps wanting to stagger around the living room and kitchen and inspect his territory about every 15 minutes. He's been home for three hours now. When will he settle in? He does not appear to be in serious pain. He just appears stoned.
Jane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-27-2008, 03:09 AM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane
I had my 12 pound Siamese mix neutered today. Naturally, when he came home, he was staggering and falling and it has been a challenge to keep him quiet as he is not a lap cat. I fixed him a bed in the hallway where he likes to sleep at night but he won't have anything to do with it. He keeps wanting to stagger around the living room and kitchen and inspect his territory about every 15 minutes. He's been home for three hours now. When will he settle in? He does not appear to be in serious pain. He just appears stoned.
I am having a long night. The anesthesia has worn off and he is feeling fairly well, all things considered. I gave him an nsaid that the vet sent home with him. Now he is insisting on checking out the window sills and table tops. I am exhausted from removing him before he jumps down and hurts himself. Dang, he just jumped down from the kitchen sink. I sure wish he would go to sleep.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:52 AM #3
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Sorry I didn't see your post until just now Jane, but I was going to say that he'd more than likely settle down when the anaesthetic wore off, which looks like what's started to happen. I wouldn't worry too much about him jumping off the sink and stuff, because I'd imagine if it hurt him, he wouldn't do it again!

It sounds like he's rechecking his home area to make sure you don't have any more nasty surprises in store for him....

I'm glad you have some pain killers to give him, and I'm sure he'll exhaust himself son and go to sleep, and hopefully tomorrow he should be back to his old self, just a bit sore!

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Doody (08-27-2008)
Old 08-27-2008, 07:05 AM #4
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

my vet had me keep my 3 cats in a small area like the bathroom or a small closet for a few days. My cats liked the tile in the bathroom as it was cool they layed spread eagle on the tile and seemed to enjoy it. try keeping your kitty in a small area if you can to keep it safe for a few days.
Burntmarshmallow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Doody (08-27-2008)
Old 08-27-2008, 07:40 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntmarshmallow
my vet had me keep my 3 cats in a small area like the bathroom or a small closet for a few days. My cats liked the tile in the bathroom as it was cool they layed spread eagle on the tile and seemed to enjoy it. try keeping your kitty in a small area if you can to keep it safe for a few days.
Thank you both for your words of support. I got my little buddy as a mature cat from a neighbor who is a cancer patient and unable to care for him anymore. He started spraying 3-4 weeks ago and he would target anything that he could see his reflection in.........ie the bathroom mirror, the bedroom mirror, the TV, the computer monitor, the front of the microwave.....yada yada. With this in mind, I will be keeping him in the living room until the hormone levels have a chance to drop

By midnight, he had perked up considerably and kept me up all night. Several times I found him on top of the refrigerator. I know he is checking out his territory but I have had just about enough of this feline territorial behavior..........God love him.
He hasn't slept since late afternoon and has to get tired pretty soon.

We all react differently to medication and I am assuming that the anesthesia may have jazzed him up a bit. That happened with one of my girls when her tonsils were taken out. She didn't go back to sleep for 36 hours after she woke up in recovery. Right now he is in the entrance hall, on top of my scooter. He is howling with pride as he is balancing himself on the top of the head rest which is no simple task.

I guess the bottom line is that he is just fine and certainly no worse for the wear. He's not pleased with the nsaid but is smart enough not to push the envelope any farther.

This has been quite an experience for me. I have always been a dog person and always had females. I live in a small one bedroom apt. for the disabled now and could not commit to taking a dog outside the way it needs to so I took in the cat as a companion. He is a joy but I now understand the saying that dogs have owners and cats have slaves.

Everyone have a great day!!!!!
"Thanks for this!" says:
Doody (08-27-2008)
Old 08-27-2008, 09:18 AM #6
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Well I'm sorry I wasn't here to support either! Sounds like a very determined kitty! (Which of them AREN'T!? LOL) I'm glad he seems to be better today. Hopefully you can get some rest! And I hope the neutering helps with the marking territory.

Bruna - rescued from a Missouri puppy mill
Doody is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:57 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doody
Well I'm sorry I wasn't here to support either! Sounds like a very determined kitty! (Which of them AREN'T!? LOL) I'm glad he seems to be better today. Hopefully you can get some rest! And I hope the neutering helps with the marking territory.
The young prince is recovering well. He finally crashed yesterday but not before he managed to get in the bedroom, jump up on the dresser and spray the stereo. I will be glad when those hormones drop. Needless to say, he camped out under the bed for several hours until he decided the coast was clear. I tried putting a second litter box in the bedroom and he uses it once in a while. This is simply marking. Deep cleansing breath.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Doody (08-29-2008)
Old 08-29-2008, 08:04 AM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I sure do feel 4 you!!!!I had 2 kitties spayed/neutered at the same time about 2 yrs ago.
I kept them in their crates for a few days.
Obviously i let them out[one at a time]LOL
Throughout the day sevral times,but it was still VERY challenging!
I hated having to keep them locked up,but it was for their own safety..I found out quickly-you can't stop a cat from leaping/jumping..LOL
Like isaid: i let them out frequently during the day/evening,but even one at a time-they kept ME hopping!!!
Since you only the one,keeping him in a small room might work out ok.
I hope your baby recovers quickly..Also i think it's pretty awesome that you rescued him!!Just love hearing those kind of stories.
All the best to you and the prince

Kellie

Everybody has problems. Some we create for ourselves, some others create for us. How we react to those problems is up to the individual. Eleanor Roosevelt stated, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." We must control our reaction to our problems or perceptions. Otherwise, they will own you.
~KELLWANTSANSWERS~ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Doody (08-29-2008)
Old 08-29-2008, 01:34 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~KELLWANTSANSWERS~
I sure do feel 4 you!!!!I had 2 kitties spayed/neutered at the same time about 2 yrs ago.
I kept them in their crates for a few days.
Obviously i let them out[one at a time]LOL
Throughout the day sevral times,but it was still VERY challenging!
I hated having to keep them locked up,but it was for their own safety..I found out quickly-you can't stop a cat from leaping/jumping..LOL
Like isaid: i let them out frequently during the day/evening,but even one at a time-they kept ME hopping!!!
Since you only the one,keeping him in a small room might work out ok.
I hope your baby recovers quickly..Also i think it's pretty awesome that you rescued him!!Just love hearing those kind of stories.
All the best to you and the prince
I tried the crate but he yowled for four hours straight. He won that round. He seems to have settled in lounging on the seat of my scooter. I put his favorite quilt up on it.

When will his appetite pick up? He is eating about half of what he normally eats. I keep a bowl of good cat kibble out so he can nibble when he feels like it. There is a reasonable amount of clumps and poo in the litter box so I am not particularly worried. Forget "treats" he will not eat any moist food. He will not eat tuna, macaral, cooked or raw meat. If it isn't kibble (dry) he won't touch it. Forget mixing anything with the kibble. If I try that, he just gives me a filthy look and walks around the apt. flicking his tail, madly.

I have always had dogs and understand their behaviors. This critter has me baffled. He acts like a roomate, not a pet. I wish he would pay his half of the expenses.

Last edited by Jane; 08-29-2008 at 03:13 PM. Reason: sp.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Doody (08-30-2008)
Old 09-03-2008, 06:43 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

[QUOTE=Jane;357310]
Oh my goodness,it sounds like you have one spoiled lil' baby on your hands..LOL
I sure do hope his appetite has improved by now.I know mine weren't too hungry for a couple of days after surgery either.
Hopefully,thats all it is with your baby!!
Only my older kitty will eat moist treats also he is the only one that will eat ANY kind of fish..LOL
Funny how they have their own lil' favorites!Just like us...
Have you asked the vet about the loss of apetite?
I'm just guessing here,but it could be brought on by missing his previous owner..
Not sure what to tell you about that...I would suggest some reading for you though,since you have only had dogs in the past..Cats are soooo different,as i'm sure you are learning

You could just google"cat behavior" or anything else that comes to mind.The internet is an abundance of info..
Wishing you and your baby all the best..
Bye 4 now~~

Kellie

Everybody has problems. Some we create for ourselves, some others create for us. How we react to those problems is up to the individual. Eleanor Roosevelt stated, "No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." We must control our reaction to our problems or perceptions. Otherwise, they will own you.
~KELLWANTSANSWERS~ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote