Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 08-29-2008, 02:19 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default pain/rigidity and bands

The daughter of a fellow PDer in our town is a nurse who recently took the speciality classes for PD (I didn't know they had them either, but apparently they do). She is going to open up a type of physical therapy practice for elderly and folks with a disability, particularly PD because of her dad. Her advice to us: exercise, exercise, and exercise.

Because PD tightens muscles, make sure the exercise you do is one that will stretch those muscles back out. Her suggestions: a rowing machine (the good ones are expensive, and we don't have room for one anyway) and those rubbery exercise bands you see with all the yoga and pilates stuff. We bought a set of three for twelve dollars at Academy, and they came with the little DVD on how to use them, if you didn't know/couldn't figure it out. You get three because they are of easy, medium, and strong resistance and you work your way up. Hope this helps, particularly those suffering muscular pain and/or rigidity.
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-31-2008, 08:58 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default excercise

Is good for you parkinsons or not. It will uplift your spirits and lower your blood pressure. It is hard to get into routine, but well worth the effort. I think it is important to stretch before and after excecise. I swim, I am not sure it helps with my stiff muscles, but feel I would be worse off if I didn't do it.
I do stretching excercises for my neck and shoulders every morning. I should do more but am usually rushing off to work. I would be in a world of hurt if I didn't do them.
When I go to work after lap swimming I am alot more alert and more focused. So it is good for your mind too. My eyes get pretty red tho, but thank goodness for visine.
Thanks for the good advice LFC.
libra is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote