Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 08-29-2008, 09:51 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default chi machine?

Anyone use a chi machine or know anyone who's used one? The claims surrounding this thing are pretty fantastic, literally. Would be interested to learn of anyone's experience with one, directly or indirectly, and good as well as bad. Thanks.
lurkingforacure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 08-29-2008, 10:12 PM #2
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member
Yappiest Elder Member

15 yr Member

one of our members twinkletoes (ms member) has posted about it.

i'll pm her and give her a link to your thread.
Curious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Twinkletoes (09-01-2008)
Old 08-30-2008, 12:19 AM #3
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default If it the same one that I tried....

.....save your money. This one was about 18" on each side and you lay on the floor with your heels resting on the machine which, in turn, moved your legs alternately back and forth. Had no effect that I could see. Pretty pricey as I recall although I found mine at a yard sale.
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 07:40 PM #4
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingforacure View Post
Anyone use a chi machine or know anyone who's used one? The claims surrounding this thing are pretty fantastic, literally. Would be interested to learn of anyone's experience with one, directly or indirectly, and good as well as bad. Thanks.

Thanks for the PM, Curious.

Hi Lurking! Yes, I spent $160 on a Chi machine about a 6 weeks ago.

I'm undecided on it. I used it for a couple of times and felt a little icky for about an hour afterward (slight nausea, mild headache). Then waited a few days and felt okay when I used it.

My brother (who recommended it) said 15 min. on a Chi is supposed to equal walking for 90 minutes or something like that. I highly doubt it. I was just hoping it would relax me and loosen up my joints, etc.

I began taking LDN 4 weeks ago for my MS and decided to set the Chi aside until I understand how the new drug affects me. So far so good on the LDN. I'll let you know when I try the Chi again.

I've lost my mind ... and I don't miss it!

LIFE HAS NO REMOTE -- GET UP AND CHANGE IT YOURSELF!
Twinkletoes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Curious (09-02-2008), Jomar (09-02-2008), lou_lou (02-13-2009)
Old 09-01-2008, 08:19 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Keep us posted!

Thanks very much, keep us posted on the chi machine. I hope the LDN works for you, I've read very positive things about it for a lot of MSers.
"Thanks for this!" says:
Twinkletoes (09-02-2008)
Old 09-02-2008, 03:13 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Chi machine

I used a Chi machine for awhile before I took meds andf found it helpful in relaxing me inititally. I would fall asleep!. Then later it served to override the tremor and mitigate the pain/discomfort. It enabled me to talk on the phone! I ended up giving it to a friend w/ RLS.

I doubt that the benefits claimed are true ( spinal adjustment, exercise) but it did give me some relief. In fact, I may get another one one of these days.
Ibken is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:39 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverett123 View Post
.....save your money. This one was about 18" on each side and you lay on the floor with your heels resting on the machine which, in turn, moved your legs alternately back and forth. Had no effect that I could see. Pretty pricey as I recall although I found mine at a yard sale.
Hello,
I use a Chi Machine 2 to 3 times a day,it seems to relieve my sciatic type pain. People should be aware to start usage,should only be a couple of minutes then lay still for 2 mins . I use the still time for deep breaths and hand exercises. I have Atrial fib so it is good for my circulation.
have been using Mucuna , have not had a RX. newly DX 11/08
Thanks to all for the helpful info I have found here
Joy
trubrit4 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
paula_w (02-14-2009)
Old 02-13-2009, 07:47 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default what were your symptoms?

Thank you for posting. Can you tell us what your initial symptoms were, and over what time frame they progressed that sent you to the doctor? Also, do you know if you have the ridigity-dominant form of PD or the tremor-dominant form? If your doc didn't tell you, you can pretty much tell from which symptoms predominates.

It is interesting that you have "sciatic type" back pain, what do you mean by that? Did that begin before other symptoms, or was it first? Do you remember falling, which might cause that pain? Sorry to be so nosy, it's just that these machines are pricey and I'd like to know how similar your situation is to ours so I can get a better idea of whether/how it might help.

Thank you very much for your posts.
Old 02-14-2009, 06:08 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default chi machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkingforacure View Post
Thank you for posting. Can you tell us what your initial symptoms were, and over what time frame they progressed that sent you to the doctor? Also, do you know if you have the ridigity-dominant form of PD or the tremor-dominant form? If your doc didn't tell you, you can pretty much tell from which symptoms predominates.

It is interesting that you have "sciatic type" back pain, what do you mean by that? Did that begin before other symptoms, or was it first? Do you remember falling, which might cause that pain? Sorry to be so nosy, it's just that these machines are pricey and I'd like to know how similar your situation is to ours so I can get a better idea of whether/how it might help.

Thank you very much for your posts.
I went to my PCP in Nov.08 because I was having tremors,more internally,also my right leg would not always move. I was having pain in my hips, buttocks and the right leg .

Since I have Atrial Fib I attributed the fatigue to that,as I get shortness of breath on exertion. I saw Neuro for a consult,she is a MDS,did not say much and I told her I wished to research the disease before taking any meds. She dx early stage PD. I do stretching and deep breathing,walking,moderate pace.
Thankfully the pain is much less and I take many herbals including
Mucuna,which i feel is helping. I had muscle pain for months prior to noticing the tremors so the onset was probably prior to Nov.
I find using the Chi Machine seems to help . I got mine years ago for 100.00 .
Last night we were at an event and I did several slow dances with my DH, have not tried to swing dance yet,the rigidity seems to come when I am moving from a stationary position,when I am walking the dog I do not have it.I can swing both arms and touch my toes.
I also have switched to Organic water processed decaf coffee and other
Organic products.I am thankful each day if what I am trying is helping me.
I have a cardio appt. and another Neuro appt later this month.Hope this helps.
Joy
trubrit4 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:55 PM #10
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default i feel silly

Yes, it was helpful thank you Joy. We know what we have to do,but have different strengths and interests, so again we have to fill in the blanks with our individuality. It's really helpful to hear all of the possibilities for exercise, particularly aerobic, which I'm hoping I do while asleep....no sign of it awake....

Actually, i became interested enough after reading your very informative post [about your experience] to ask what is a chi machine? I missed it and will look it up if no one has a link...which i could have missed as well; I just skimmed. The more shared, the more we learn. It's so true. I could have dementia by now under different circumstances, who knows?

ok back to chi machine....now what is it?

paula

"Time is not neutral for those who have pd or for those who will get it."
paula_w is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote