Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 08-30-2008, 08:54 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Weekly Check In Aug 31-Sept 6, 2008

Hi Everyone..Cant believe its almost Sept already!..The summer sure flew by..I am enjoying the cool nights though

My back is killing me from clamming all week, and my Chiropractor is on vacation untill Tuesday..I had a good week though, and in spite of all the aches and pains I do feel stronger..One of the other drawbacks is, when I do work, I cant do much of anything else..The lawn needs to be cut, maybe I'll finally get it done tomorrow..Such is the way with pd

How was your week?

advertisement
Old 08-31-2008, 03:10 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Holding our breath...

The news down here is all about Gustav. Although we are some 300+ miles northwest of New Orleans, we will almost certainly recieve at least flooding rainfall beginning Wednesday, and for multiple days, depending on how fast the system moves, once it goes ashore. Damaging winds of 60 mph are being forecast for the local area if the storm goes ashore at category 3 or 4.

Local shelters for evacuees are already full (2000+), and the steady stream of northbound traffic is being sent further north, west or east. Fortunately, preparations for this storm have been instructed by the history of Katrina and Rita. The state, local and national authorities appear to have done a good job in ramping up plalnning and resources for a storm like this.

That said, the residents who live down south of Interstate 10 stand a good chance of returning to widespread destruction. Everyone, please pray for these folks in what they are now dealing with and what they may be dealing with after the storm abates.

Robert
RLSmi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 03:55 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hello Again :-)

Well...I survived my first week of CNA class. Boy, it has been a lot of work! Class started on last Monday. As of the end of today's reading assignment, I have read 28 chapters...and done all of the work that accompanies the chapters. On average during the week it takes about three or four hours a night to get the work done. I spent six hours yesterday and another five hours today doing school work. We had quite a bit this weekend due to the fact that there is no school on Monday. This course is really moving along fast, a lot faster than most vocational schools. I guess the advantage to this is that there is very little cost involved and I will be done with the class in a very short time...which means I can get a job sooner. The downfall is that my brain is on overload right now. Oh...I did wind up bringing a laptop into class to take notes. It was much easier for me to take the notes...no painful hand/forearm cramping! After I brought my laptop in, so did a few other classmates. I guess it only takes one to get the ball rolling!

I have a few concerns regarding my possible PD stuff. Technically, I do not yet have a diagnosis that is 100%. When it comes time for me to apply for a job and take a drug test, I think it will be necessary for me to reveal any medications that I take. When I list my PD meds, is that something that I should have to explain? Do you think that will bring up concerns about whether or not I am capable of performing the CNA job that I want? Of course, I know that I am capable at this point and I am very much looking forward to my new career. I just don't want any future employers to look at me differently than they would any other prospective employee. It is not something that I want to reveal at all. I am just not quite sure how to handle this and would appreciate hearing from those of you that have a little more experience under your belts. As a matter of fact, I think I will post this question as a new post. I appreciate any responses.

Evonne
Evonne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:56 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLSmi View Post
The news down here is all about Gustav. Although we are some 300+ miles northwest of New Orleans, we will almost certainly recieve at least flooding rainfall beginning Wednesday, and for multiple days, depending on how fast the system moves, once it goes ashore. Damaging winds of 60 mph are being forecast for the local area if the storm goes ashore at category 3 or 4.

Local shelters for evacuees are already full (2000+), and the steady stream of northbound traffic is being sent further north, west or east. Fortunately, preparations for this storm have been instructed by the history of Katrina and Rita. The state, local and national authorities appear to have done a good job in ramping up plalnning and resources for a storm like this.

That said, the residents who live down south of Interstate 10 stand a good chance of returning to widespread destruction. Everyone, please pray for these folks in what they are now dealing with and what they may be dealing with after the storm abates.

Robert
I was watching MSNBC this afternoon, and the coverage was mainly about Gustav..Sounds like its gonna be ugly..You folks are in my thoughts and prayers..Stay safe!
Old 09-01-2008, 06:47 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

thanks Robert and Steve for the requests for good thoughts and prayers for the people in southwestern louisiana--my mother was airlifted from a hospital in southwestern Louisiana on sat noc via an air force transport plane. No one would tell us where she was to be transfered until she arrived at the new hospital; family members were not allowed to accompany her. Fairly anxiety producing for all her children. She is safe, and will celebrate her 96th birthday today in an Arkansas hospital, far from her home, but fortunately out of harm's way. My sister arrived last evening to be with her. Everyone in my family is glued to the weather channel. I remember the experience of Hurricane Audrey,1957, which left such devastation to the small coastal community just "down the road" from my home. I also recall arriving at college in New Orleans in Sept, 1965, to be greeted by Hurricane Betsy.
The southwestern louisiana region has not yet recovered from "Rita", the hurricane just after Katrina, that impacted this area. Fortunately, the government has reacted to make certain people have evacuated the areas in the hurricane's path this time.

Evonne, could you discuss the drug testing with your physician or nurse and let him/her assist you in dealing with this potential problem?

~ Jean-Martin Charcot

The future is already here — it's just not very evenly distributed. William Gibson
olsen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote