advertisement

Old 11-03-2006, 07:26 PM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Kitchen Toys... I mean... Tools

Well, I finally did it. I decided on the food processor mostly because of the enormous mouth on it. Besides, I have children who can crush the ice. They think it's fun.

We made crepes this morning with it. I found that it ground up the carrots (instead of sugar) just as well as the blender used to, so I'm sure it'll do smoothies just fine.

Because it's 450 watts, it was suggested by the salesperson that heavier doughs not be done in it, but I've got my $200 mixer for that, so that's fine.

Also, I happened to get it on sale for $100, so the price was right. The big mouth and the large bowl were my biggest desires. You should see how big a potato I can fit in the mouth!! i gave up on the frnech fry cutter because we've just been deep frying slices lately anyway, so the slicer will be put to awesome use for when we have 'fish and chips'.

I may just try Karri's zucchini pizza crust with it today.

The url didn't take you to the fp so I've added the pic and specs right in here.

Big Mouth™ 14 Cup Food Processor

* Fits whole foods, creates whole slices
* Eliminates pre-cutting to save time
* Slices, chops, shreds, grates, purees & kneads
* Adjustable feed tube
* Stainless steel blades
* 4 speeds plus pulse
* Powerful 450 Watts
* Easy-lock bowl with ready light
* Dishwasher safe bowl, lid and blades

Maybe later, I'll get an electric ice shaver for summer iced drinks and sno cones.
Attached Images

12/20/2002 The symptomatic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (see: docguide.com)

Last edited by pakisa100 : 04-09-2005 at 11:30 AM.
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)
KimS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

advertisement
Old 11-03-2006, 07:28 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Just to follow up. I ended up picking up a side by side fridge, second hand, with an ice dispenser on the freezer side that has a crushing setting. $200

No more crushing ice with a plastic baggie and a hammer.

Shoot! I spent that much on my mixer when I bought it brand new!
01/02/2002 Even Small Amounts of Gluten Cause Relapse in Children With Celiac Disease (Docguide.com) 12/20/2002 The symptomatic and histologic response to a gf diet with borderline enteropathy (Docguide.com)
Old 11-03-2006, 08:39 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Congratulations!

LOL Kim! I call my kitchen appliances "tools" too! My husband is such a tool man - he seems to respect the need for something more if its called that! I love my food processor. I use it at least once every single day. And boy, does it make quick work of chopping veggies for juicing!
jamietwo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:54 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamietwo View Post
...And boy, does it make quick work of chopping veggies for juicing!
D'oh!! I've been chopping for over two years for my juicer! It NEVER occurred to me to just throw the lot in the f.p.!!

I'm so happy that I won't be chopping for another jug of juice! Thanks for the tip!
Old 12-22-2006, 07:54 AM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Well, my 2nd Canadian Tire 'special' whizzer died. Boy, those are definitely not on my Christmas list for replacement. Four machines between the two of us... what a dud!!

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/sh...t=Magic+Bullet
Old 12-22-2006, 09:05 PM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I do love a new kitchen toy!! I try to find mine at yard sales, so I don't have to shell out too much, and a couple months ago found a pasta machine at the Goodwill store. Of course, that was back when I could still eat pasta, or thought I could, anyway!! I've yet tried it with any kind of GF pasta recipe.
Hugs,
Old 12-24-2006, 09:03 AM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Beware... with all the nooks and crannies in those machines, you've got a major source for contamination there.

Sorry...
Old 12-24-2006, 03:07 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Rats! I must admit I do tend to forget about cross-contamination! Maybe I'll just gift it to one of my kids.
I think I'll browse through the recipes and see if I can find something that sounds interesting to bake today. I'm still trying to get the hang of baking without wheat flour. It really is a horse of a different color, isn't it!
That's me, getting ready to ride my different colored horse. Let's hope it doesn't buck me off!!!
Hugs,
Old 12-24-2006, 08:41 PM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Well, I'm a success! I borrowed a couple of recipes posted on the pie crust thread, whipped out my trusty food processor to mix it up in, and voila, I have a real pie, complete with tasty crust.
Sooner or later I'm going to have to break down and buy another food processor. The one I have works great, but I got it at a yard sale about 3 years ago, and the blade is starting to show cracks where the blades fit into the plastic blade holder thingy. Kim, I don't think I can afford one quite as expensive as the one you just bought, thought it sounds like a dream of a machine. Can anyone recommend one they just love, but which is considerably cheaper?
Hugs,
Old 12-24-2006, 11:47 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi Lois,

Congratulations on your pie crust success!

I bought that machine almost two years ago now. That was an old post that I copied just for the notes.

I must say that those are $100 Canadian dollars... so would not be quite so much on your end.

I wouldn't necessarily suggest getting this machine anyway though... the locks on the lid keep breaking and I have to crazy-glue it on. I do like the very large bowl though because I can do a big whack of stuff at once.

Honestly, I hardly use the grating blade. I mostly chop stuff up. I use this machine about 2 times a day... and I bought this because my other one died.

Of all my medium sized machines, I use this one the most. My juicer and stick blender would be second and my mixer (the most expensive) is the one machine that I use the least. Actually I seem to only use it for whipping up egg whites.

So, if I did it again, I would spend the most money on the fp... not the mixer.