Parkinson's Disease Tulip

advertisement

Old 09-21-2008, 10:52 AM #1

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Weekly Check In Sept 21-27, 2008

Hi Everyone..Warm days and cool nights..Fall is upon us in New England..I really enjoy this cooler weather

We has our annual APDA Race, Walk, and Roll yesterday at Goddard State Park in Warwick R.I., and we had an beautiful sunny day for it..Our local NBC News channel, WJAR Weatherman John Ghiorse has been our ongoing Grand Marshall..I worked on the race team putting up signs along the race course to direct the runners..Then waited at the finish line to log the runners time

At these events, naturally you get to see parkies in all stages of this disease..You see some that were up a year ago, and then down for the count now..It can be very discouraging..But then you see guys like Francis Smith, from my support group, who was dx at 35 years old..had DBS years ago..and has had pd for more than 30 years now..Before I finish talking about Francis, let me say that the racers ran 3k..the walkers walked a mile and a half..Im standing at the finish line, and around the corner emerges this tall man with a pd like gait, with sunglasses on..As he gets closer, I turned to Ron who was the coordinater of the race, and said.."Is that Frances?"..And sure enough it was!..He walked that mile and a half, and got to the finish line before droves of the "well" folks did..So there's the hope!..He doesnt know it, but lump in throat..he made my day!

I went clamming early in the week, and did well..Planning on going tomorrow..So Im gonna go out now, and have my Rx's filled, and get ready

How was your week?

Edit:..I forgot the most important part of my story about Francis..He had a knee replacement within the past 12 months

Last edited by stevem53; 09-21-2008 at 03:15 PM.
stevem53 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
vertigo (09-24-2008)

advertisement
Old 09-21-2008, 07:23 PM #2

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default hello all.......

Fall weather is here in the Pacific NW too, the last few days are a just a reminder of what is coming soon.....rain and drizzle.....it is the one season of the puget sound area that I could live without.

I had an interesting experience the other evening....within about 3-4 hour period I lost my balance and fell 3 times.....I finally decided to just sit in my recliner and not get up......losing my balance is not unusal but I seldom fall...I can usually catch myself before I fall....two of the falls were rather hard falls.

have a good week............

later......DB
dbiker2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:49 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hello

I graduated from my CNA class yesterday. I scored a 99% on my final exam. There were about 130 questions...I only missed one! Yep...I was pretty excited. Now, it's on to the next step. I need to find a job. I have applied for a lot of CNA positions at many different places. I also had an interview with a private individual that needs home health care. She said that she was going to try and make a decision by Monday. So, there is a possibility that I may hear something by tomorrow.

It is hard for me to wait and see which jobs might call me for an interview. Will it be the one that I really want? It feels like my life is in this holding pattern, everything feels uncertain. Next, the calls for interviews will come. Then comes the part where I have to make a decision about which job is best and would be the most suitable for me. That is the most difficult part. What if I make the wrong decision? Does anybody besides me wish that it were possible to fast forward your life for about a month and just see where you are and how you will be doing? If you made the right decision? I guess what it boils down to is that I don't like change very much. I prefer stability, a routine, safety, and security. That is what makes me thrive. I know that the sooner I am able to make a decision about what to do next, the better I will be because the hard part will be done. The decision will be made. Then, the routine will begin and life will go on...

The weather here has gotten yucky over the weekend. Dark skies and rain. I don't think it is helping my body or my mood. I feel particularly stiff and achy today, and that makes me kind of grouchy. Even though I try not to let it get to me...it does. Some days I feel really bad for my husband. He is a good guy and he tries to do what he can to make me feel better. He doesn't get that there are some things that just can't be fixed. Lately, I feel like I have been either sad or grumpy or in a world of my own. I feel like he deserves better. I have tried anti-depressants in the past with not a lot of success...but a lot of side effects. I'm not sure what to do next. I am just trying to keep myself busy and my my mind on other things. I just keep telling myself that once things settle down, I will feel better. I guess I just don't handle stress the way that I used to.

My goal this week is to try and keep things in perspective and try not to be overwhelmed by the decisions that I have to make. Nothing is forever. If I don't make the right decision the world isn't going to end.

Have a GREAT week ahead!
Evonne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:07 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hi, all.

Steve, your fundraiser walk/run sounds like a great success. Keep up the good work.
It sounds like clamming is paying off for you. I'm sure the exertion while you are doing it is greater than conch fishing, but my guess is that hauling the traps up and rebaiting them, then putting them away at the end of the season is pretty hard work too. Also, I think I would prefer the more immediate reward of seeing the results of my work with each raking over haveing to wait a day or two to check traps.

Congratualtions, Evonne!
Someone is going to be very fortunate to have you working for them. Your sensitive, caring attitude, not to mention the fact that you are obviously very bright, make you a top-notch candidate for the best of the available positions. I'll be praying for you to get matched with a job that you will be very happy with. I'm confident that you will recognize that situation right away.

Cooler weather (highs of less than 90, lows less than 70) is here in the South. I always look forward to this time of year. There is an amazing flower in this area that blooms just when that cooling occurs. They reveal no foliage at all during the spring and summer, then overnight, in the cooler weather send up clumps of 12-15-inch stems with bright red-orange spidery blossom on top of each stem! They are appropriately called surprise lillies, or spider lillies. The blossoms last about a week, followed by green blades of foliage which persist well into the winter. I think of them as autumn jonquils.

I hope you folks in the Pacific Northwest can keep optimistic thoughts of the return of sunshine next summer. Get some artificaial bright light therapy if you can, and try to make provision for regular exercise. It seems that you pay dearly for the ideal August and September weather during the rest of the year! Hang in there!

Everyone have a great week.
Robert

Last edited by RLSmi; 09-22-2008 at 01:09 PM. Reason: sp
RLSmi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 10:09 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLSmi View Post
Steve, your fundraiser walk/run sounds like a great success. Keep up the good work.
It sounds like clamming is paying off for you. I'm sure the exertion while you are doing it is greater than conch fishing, but my guess is that hauling the traps up and rebaiting them, then putting them away at the end of the season is pretty hard work too. Also, I think I would prefer the more immediate reward of seeing the results of my work with each raking over haveing to wait a day or two to check traps.

Congratualtions, Evonne!
Someone is going to be very fortunate to have you working for them. Your sensitive, caring attitude, not to mention the fact that you are obviously very bright, make you a top-notch candidate for the best of the available positions. I'll be praying for you to get matched with a job that you will be very happy with. I'm confident that you will recognize that situation right away.

Cooler weather (highs of less than 90, lows less than 70) is here in the South. I always look forward to this time of year. There is an amazing flower in this area that blooms just when that cooling occurs. They reveal no foliage at all during the spring and summer, then overnight, in the cooler weather send up clumps of 12-15-inch stems with bright red-orange spidery blossom on top of each stem! They are appropriately called surprise lillies, or spider lillies. The blossoms last about a week, followed by green blades of foliage which persist well into the winter. I think of them as autumn jonquils.

I hope you folks in the Pacific Northwest can keep optimistic thoughts of the return of sunshine next summer. Get some artificaial bright light therapy if you can, and try to make provision for regular exercise. It seems that you pay dearly for the ideal August and September weather during the rest of the year! Hang in there!

Robert
Robert,

Thanks for your encouraging words. I dropped of an application at a care center near my house this morning. I had taken a tour of the place a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, the Director of Nursing was out of the office so I didn't get to talk to anybody today. However, I went to an assisted living facility today to just pick up an application. I wound up having an interview this afternoon. It went really well. The Executive Director and the Director of Nursing both interviewed me. Then, the were sitting there talking about hiring me as if I weren't in the room! They were saying things like, "Who should we have train her on evening shift?...Which evenings do we need her to work?" It was kind of funny. They said that they are going to call me tomorrow, but if I don't hear from them for some reason then I should call them tomorrow. It sounds like it's in the bag...and I'm honestly not sure how to feel about it!

There are things that I like about this place and things that I don't. The facility itself is beautiful and very well organized. I like that the residents at this place are more physically able to function. At the place where I trained, most of my residents were extensively dependent and in wheelchairs. I had to do a lot of physical transferring. That was really hard on my stiff back and body. So, I think that I will do better physically at this place. Unfortunately, I don't get to wear scrubs...and I have already bought a closet full! Not being able to wear my scrubs means that I will have to go out and buy some new tan pants...their uniform requirement. Hubby is not too happy about that, but I figure that my scrubs will come in handy in the future. My goal is to eventually hire on at a hospital. Another thing I like about this place is that they provide insurance after three months of employment, Premera Blue Cross 70/30 plan. That will really help us out. The flip side is that the hourly wage is less than I expected...$9.50 an hour. Just to compare, the local hospitals around here start out around $12.00 an hour and have full benefits.

One of the things that was said during the interview process, before wage was mentioned, was that they are looking for somebody that is going to stick around for awhile. Maybe I am a little off in my thinking but in general if these types of facilities paid their staff a little bit better they might have less dissatisfied staff and less staff leaving them to work in hospitals...or the local supermarket where you work in a less stressful environment for just about the same amount of money. Considering the amount of money that the residents in assisted living facilities/care centers pay to live there, I think that they deserve to have some pretty consistent caregivers.

See, I think that this is where I have a problem. I am probably far too idealistic. The ideas that I have about how the world should work just don't match up with reality. I think that the reality is more about the owners of these facilities padding their pocketbooks and less about helping people. It is the same way that I feel about large preschools. They fill them up to capacity and function with the least amount of staff possible. That equals poor quality care. Being a person that actually cares about people and children, I DESPISE that.

All I can say at this point is that I have a lot to think about and pray about. I know that I will not feel good about myself if I wind up in a place where I don't feel like quality of care is valued. I just pray that I am wrong in my assumption and that if this is the place where I am supposed to work it will all turn out to be wonderful. I know...I'm a dreamer.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:11 AM #6

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLSmi View Post

Congratualtions, Evonne!

Robert
Robert..I decided to put a few pots our to suppliment the shellfishing..The price of conch is only 70 cents, and they are getting too fussy about the size..Bait is very expensive too
Old 09-23-2008, 02:26 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Good News

Forgive my rant last night, although there was a lot of truth to what I had to say. I was obviously a little discouraged with where I visited yesterday. I guess that I just knew in my heart that it wasn't the right place for me.

I just found out that the care center that is near my house is a non-profit care center. I find that really exciting. It means that they are probably more concerned with taking care of their residents than they are with what color they should paint the walls! I am going in at 2:00 to meet some of the staff and have an official interview. Although, when I was speaking with the staffing coordinator on the phone she talked about filling out my hiring paperwork when I come in. I'm not sure how much of an interview this will be...could be hired right then and there. Please pray for me. I have been drawn to this place since I toured the facility a couple of weeks ago. I know that the work is going to be more challenging because it is a skilled nursing facility, but that is good for me. I like to be in an environment where I am always learning new things. It will all help me in the future. Oh...and I will get to wear my cute little scrubs.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:47 PM #8

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evonne View Post
Forgive my rant last night, although there was a lot of truth to what I had to say. I was obviously a little discouraged with where I visited yesterday. I guess that I just knew in my heart that it wasn't the right place for me.

I just found out that the care center that is near my house is a non-profit care center. I find that really exciting. It means that they are probably more concerned with taking care of their residents than they are with what color they should paint the walls! I am going in at 2:00 to meet some of the staff and have an official interview. Although, when I was speaking with the staffing coordinator on the phone she talked about filling out my hiring paperwork when I come in. I'm not sure how much of an interview this will be...could be hired right then and there. Please pray for me. I have been drawn to this place since I toured the facility a couple of weeks ago. I know that the work is going to be more challenging because it is a skilled nursing facility, but that is good for me. I like to be in an environment where I am always learning new things. It will all help me in the future. Oh...and I will get to wear my cute little scrubs.
OKAY...I know that this seems pathetic, replying to my own post and all. I just wanted to let you know that I got the job at the care center near my house. I will be working in the Alzheimer's and Dementia Care Unit. I am starting orientation tomorrow at 2:00. Wish me luck!!!
Old 09-25-2008, 09:43 AM #9

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Hello all

I don't have a whole lot to say, just wanted to say Hi, and I've been following Evonne's posts as she works her way into a new job, which she is very excited about (thats a very good thing).

Dave, ya gotta get out of that chair buddy! In one of Paula's posts she has a video link ( shake rattle & roll I think), where a woman is speaking to the crowd and says "don't sit down, whatever you do, don't sit in that chair...." and she is absolutley right. The balance thing is a problem. There must be a walker of some type to use when your feeling like something could happen ( ya, right..like we can see it coming?) Well maybe I do sound a bit loopy, but sitting is the first step down the slide. So stand and walk uprightly as long as you can.

Robert so good to hear from you. I live just north of the Pacific North West..so I get to share in the weather with you Americans in the area as the great weatherman in the sky has very little respect for the 49th parallel (aka the Canadian - U.S. border)

Steve, do you still fish for conch? I never did get that conch shell. If you do still have access to discarded ones let me know and I'll have you ship it to my son in the States.

To all else: have a good week...or at least what's left of it. Today is Thursday already. OMG! cheers rosie-posie
Old 09-25-2008, 01:37 PM #10

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud View Post
I don't have a whole lot to say, just wanted to say Hi, and I've been following Evonne's posts as she works her way into a new job, which she is very excited about (thats a very good thing).

Dave, ya gotta get out of that chair buddy! In one of Paula's posts she has a video link ( shake rattle & roll I think), where a woman is speaking to the crowd and says "don't sit down, whatever you do, don't sit in that chair...." and she is absolutley right. The balance thing is a problem. There must be a walker of some type to use when your feeling like something could happen ( ya, right..like we can see it coming?) Well maybe I do sound a bit loopy, but sitting is the first step down the slide. So stand and walk uprightly as long as you can.

Robert so good to hear from you. I live just north of the Pacific North West..so I get to share in the weather with you Americans in the area as the great weatherman in the sky has very little respect for the 49th parallel (aka the Canadian - U.S. border)

Steve, do you still fish for conch? I never did get that conch shell. If you do still have access to discarded ones let me know and I'll have you ship it to my son in the States.

To all else: have a good week...or at least what's left of it. Today is Thursday already. OMG! cheers rosie-posie

I have a few pots out, and when I get some shells I will let you know, and as a matter of fact, I may be near your neck of the woods at the end of next month..Im planning on going out to meet Harley aka Laura, and we are going to the HOPE Conference in Seattle