advertisement

Old 09-24-2008, 10:01 AM #1
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Default off topic

I hope you all dont mind me asking this here it is the only place i feel okay asking. the only place iI feel confortable asking. the only place most people know me soo here goes...

Wish for honest advice. Please don’t be nice cus ya know me and stuff but advice from employers point of view kind of. Or maybe what would you do if you were me.
Here is the thing. I haven’t been putting down on my applications that I have a neuro stimulator implanted and that I have trigeminal neuralgia..,anesthesia dolorosa. I haven’t been putting down that I was in serious auto accident etc… so I have a rather big gap in my work history from 1999 till like start 2004. Heck I haven’t had a full time job for a while mostly did odd job here and there baby sitting and yard work part time but then worked full time at hotel for over a year and then did the condo cleaning thing. So those are good strong references. I am afraid to share that part of my history .I don’t want to be looked at like a
Possible liability” issue” to any employers. They will probly look at my history and say "hummm she was in accident was on heavy drugs morphine methadone neurotin was suicidal been to counseling was in court went to trial by jury…and what is trigeminal neuralgia and anesthesia dolorosa?? " What if they look it up and see that it is called the suicide illness. So really I am afraid to share all of my history and honestly kind of embarrassed/ashamed of my t.n. and a.d.
So what would you be doing if you were me???? What do you think employers think or will think when I am asked about my gap in my history.. I will have to share some of it so I wonder what will they think? What would you think?? How should I go about this? What should I share? What do you think is the best way to handle this? Do you think it will hurt my chances of being hired? Mmmkay I have a zillion worries but this is enough for now it gives a well enough view of my concerns I think. Sorry this is long but it’s the only way I could explain what is bothering me. I am not handi- capped or disabled, I just need a job. I am not applying for anything major just hotel housekeeping and restaurants and food stores not anything to special…. just a job. Thanks for any and all advice ahead of time in advanced. I really need it!!!!!!
PEACE
BMW
Burntmarshmallow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Addy (09-24-2008), Alffe (09-25-2008), Twinkletoes (09-24-2008), who moi (09-24-2008)

advertisement
Old 09-24-2008, 12:57 PM #2
'Thanks' Button Team Community Member T.K.S.

Location: with the Brady Bunch, honey bunch,and now the crazy bunch
15 yr Member
'Thanks' Button Team Community Member T.K.S.

Location: with the Brady Bunch, honey bunch,and now the crazy bunch
15 yr Member

hi Mallow haid,

this is what I think:

1st angle: The person that does the hiring. If you are lucky, you'll run into someone that is very undrestanding, if you are unlucky, you are going to run into a jerk and then no matter what you say, they'll use it against you.

2nd angle: types of jobs, if you're seeking a type of job that you think your pain and implant will become an "obstacle" so that you might need to ask for more days off or ask them to understand when you'd have a bad day or something, yes, you should be honest.

However, from the types of jobs you've mentioned, I am not sure if they need to know that part about you unless you think it'll affect your job performance such as carrying something heavy or stuff like that.

3rd angle: from someone who's been on the hiring end, yes, while I would expect the person to tell me about themselves, I would look at the job that is being sought and make my decision based on your ability vs your disabilities...

and I've worked at many restaurants and worked at a hotel so those are high turn around jobs...people come and go so quickly that I don't think they'll care about what you can't do vs what you can do.

I think for the types of jobs that you are looking into, just skip that part. You can reserve that for later for when you go into your interviews and get a feel of how you feel about the person that is hiring and if they ask, see how comfortable you are at telling them.

I hope that helps...(((((BIG HUGS))))) and good luck! You go girl!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntmarshmallow View Post
I hope you all dont mind me asking this here it is the only place i feel okay asking. the only place iI feel confortable asking. the only place most people know me soo here goes...

Wish for honest advice. Please don’t be nice cus ya know me and stuff but advice from employers point of view kind of. Or maybe what would you do if you were me.
Here is the thing. I haven’t been putting down on my applications that I have a neuro stimulator implanted and that I have trigeminal neuralgia..,anesthesia dolorosa. I haven’t been putting down that I was in serious auto accident etc… so I have a rather big gap in my work history from 1999 till like start 2004. Heck I haven’t had a full time job for a while mostly did odd job here and there baby sitting and yard work part time but then worked full time at hotel for over a year and then did the condo cleaning thing. So those are good strong references. I am afraid to share that part of my history .I don’t want to be looked at like a
Possible liability” issue” to any employers. They will probly look at my history and say "hummm she was in accident was on heavy drugs morphine methadone neurotin was suicidal been to counseling was in court went to trial by jury…and what is trigeminal neuralgia and anesthesia dolorosa?? " What if they look it up and see that it is called the suicide illness. So really I am afraid to share all of my history and honestly kind of embarrassed/ashamed of my t.n. and a.d.
So what would you be doing if you were me???? What do you think employers think or will think when I am asked about my gap in my history.. I will have to share some of it so I wonder what will they think? What would you think?? How should I go about this? What should I share? What do you think is the best way to handle this? Do you think it will hurt my chances of being hired? Mmmkay I have a zillion worries but this is enough for now it gives a well enough view of my concerns I think. Sorry this is long but it’s the only way I could explain what is bothering me. I am not handi- capped or disabled, I just need a job. I am not applying for anything major just hotel housekeeping and restaurants and food stores not anything to special…. just a job. Thanks for any and all advice ahead of time in advanced. I really need it!!!!!!
PEACE
BMW

"you're entering, the

zone..."
who moi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Addy (09-24-2008), Alffe (09-25-2008), Burntmarshmallow (09-24-2008), DM (09-24-2008)
Old 09-24-2008, 04:10 PM #3

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I just have a sec here so this will be short...

I am re-entering the workforce after 5 years and when I filled out my application where it asked to explain gaps in employment I just put down I was injured in a MVA and was not able to work. I figure I will explain it if asked at the interview. She did ask but did not really press for details.

Fingers crossed i will hear something real soon. Good luck on your jkob search too...Sue

Everyone is born, but not everyone is born the same. Some will grow to be butchers, or bakers, or candlestick makers. Some will only be really good at making Jell-O salad. One way or another, though, every human being is unique, for better or for worse. - Narrator (From the movie Matilda)

snoozie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Addy (09-24-2008), Alffe (09-25-2008), Burntmarshmallow (09-24-2008), who moi (09-24-2008)
Old 09-24-2008, 05:40 PM #4

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

BMW I would not give your dx. Its nobodys business. I agree with Sue IF they ask about your gap in employment I would tell them you were in a mva and couldn't work.

They will ask before hiring you if you have any disabilties that will prevent you from performing the job duties you are applying for( to cover their butts ) most companies will ask if you need any special accomodations to do your job.

For example , I have an adjustable desk so I can alternate through the day between sitting and standing. I can't do either for an extended period of time. (thank you americans with disabilities act ).

Good Luck With Your Search!!

PS sometimes less is more when filling out applications! At the interview you can disclose more. Don't give them too much information....let them meet you, once they do meet you, they will be putty in your hands!!!
Addy (09-24-2008), Alffe (09-25-2008), Burntmarshmallow (09-24-2008), who moi (09-24-2008)
Old 09-24-2008, 06:09 PM #5

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

HI BMW... I agree with all of the above.

It IS none of their business.
I, too, have hired... and to be honest, I've never asked anyone why there was a gap in their work history.

good luck!!
Addy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (09-25-2008), Burntmarshmallow (09-24-2008), who moi (09-24-2008)
Old 09-24-2008, 06:31 PM #6
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I have always written on my applications that I have Multiple Sclerosis. In doing so, I always added that I rarely needed to lose work hours because of my medical condition. I have even written that I needed to take no more time away from work than other workers normally did, from common viruses like head colds and influenza.

I personally prefer to be honest and up front as I figured it was best to be declined at or before the interview, rather than an employer finding out later and accusing me of dishonesty by omission. Each and every one of my employers has known at interview about the MS, and I have never been declined a position because of it......I know that for sure because I got every job I ever applied for, except one promotion.

If you need to explain the gap in your work history, I'd write that you'd been in an accident and unable to work for that particular period. You could add that you'd successfully re-entered the work force, or leave the area vacant and explain about it at interview if asked.

While I don't think you're obligated to write about your medical condition on your application form, I think a prospective employer has the right to an honest answer to questions regarding any ailment that might impinge on your working ability. It's also probably not necessary to mention the stimulator unless you think your prospects would be enhanced by disclosure.

These are only my own opinions and I daresay that I've managed to confuse you even more.

Good luck in your job search, and I hope that something suitable comes along fairly soon.

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (09-25-2008), Burntmarshmallow (09-24-2008), who moi (09-24-2008)
Old 09-24-2008, 07:35 PM #7

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

ITA about not disclosing more than you need to. There's no need for anyone to have your dxs--none at all. Not at this stage. You do need to tell them if you need accommodations and what those would be. Or if you don't think you will need accommodations, state "no" to that. If you find you do later, you tell your HR person and manager what they are. At that point, you find out what type of documentation your Employer needs and get it.

Too much information such as MVA w/jury trial and implant and etc.... is too much. You were in an MVA. You couldn't work. The rest is YOUR business. If they're that desperate for knowledge about you let them go look for it themselves.
Alffe (09-25-2008), Burntmarshmallow (09-25-2008), who moi (09-24-2008)
Old 09-25-2008, 09:49 AM #8
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

Hey BMW~ Just wanted to say Good Luck on your job search and I think your'd be an asset to any business.

DM is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (09-25-2008), Burntmarshmallow (09-25-2008)
Old 09-25-2008, 10:44 AM #9
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

I guess i see a majority in that ill just say had m.v.a. and treat it like when i was in court..only answer what is asked and dont volunteer any info that isnt asked. When i worked at best west i never told em anything not even that i was in an accident till one day boss lady saw me using my remote to turn on my stim and asked what the heck i was doing. then everyone kinda freaked out in suprise they all thought it was the coolest thing cus you cant tell not one bit ! So BMW will say when asked about my gap in work history i was in accident , had to recover fully and then re entered the work force on the date shown. and Alffe mom thanks for nudging me to search on web..learned a lot about my rights. so too I thank everyone for calming my worries and fears that seemed to overwhelm me way tooo much and giving such awesome helpful advice. what would I do without this place and all of you..my family.
PEACE
BMW
p.s. got another interview tomorrow all this will come in handy dandy Bless you all.
Burntmarshmallow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Alffe (09-25-2008), jaded2nite (09-25-2008), Koala77 (09-25-2008)